soaring energy costs in the UK

Fiona716
Level 1
Newton Mearns, United Kingdom

soaring energy costs in the UK

Hi everyone

I am a host in the uk and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips as to how you plan to handle the soaring energy costs which are reaching eye watering amounts. 

I am unable to offer a separate gas/electricity meter in my prpoerty as it is a "granny flat" attached to my own house.

I have increased my prices to try and anticipate the rising costs due to start in October. However, I was wondering if there was any way I could include a surcharge or any other suggestions welcome. A lot of my guests last year were longer term ( up to 3 months) and were working from home. They requested that the heating was on for up to 17 hours a day. That in itself was hard to fund last winter but with the way things are going this year I am really scared I won't be able to afford to pay these costs.

I have already posted on my ad to request that guests be mindful of switching off lights and appliances when not in use and I have stickers to that effect on all my wall switches, however it is more the central heating I am worried about if guests are working from home. 

I live in Scotland and I have found that guests from other countries and even the south of England struggle to adapt !

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Fiona

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Fiona716 There comes a point where it might make more sense to shut down over Winter rather than pay excessive heating bills. This is especially true if the cost of living crisis prevents people from paying higher prices and the property is not in a Winter destination.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hey everyone @Fiona716 

Thank you for your comments on this. I know this is an older post already, but I wanted to let you know that we’ve recently started a topic regarding energy costs and we’re collecting tips on how to manage them. We’d love to get your input too, so please don’t hesitate and come share your experiences and advice!

You can find my post here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Has-your-Hosting-adapted-due-to-the-energy-crisis/td-p/1...

Thanks!

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen