Induction Stove... Good or Bad?

David7702
Level 2
United States

Induction Stove... Good or Bad?

My STR does not have gas as an option.  The current electric range has to go.  I want to replace it with an induction range as I want to enjoy this property a bit too.  (I've used induction before and I'm sold.)

Do renters have issues with induction even if you provide the correct cookware?

Also, I've read that some folks with a pacemaker shouldn't get near and induction range.

So I figure I could also provide an old school coil electric range and/or induction cooking discs to assist.

What are your thoughts?

21 Replies 21
Johanna394
Level 10
Tampere, Finland

As someone coming from a country, in which those electronic/induction stoves are mainly used, I would be thrilled if my lodging had that kind instead of gas!

However,  I am but a one European traveler (therefore maybe not exactly your targeted market), certainly not able to make any trips overseas right now 🙂

The rest of the world is far ahead of us on this.  I completely agree with you.🙄 

As you said, it is the target market in North America I need to consider, unfortunately.

By the way, I LOVE FINLAND!  😍 I want to go back someday.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@David7702 my biggest concern about providing an induction range in an Airbnb is how easy it is to scratch them and how difficult it is to get them looking 100% clean. I currently have one in my primary residence and I don't like it for those two reasons. If you have a normal electric range, it's much easier to replace a burner or slip in a new mess catcher under a new burner. 

I also don't like cooking with the induction range. I don't know if they're all the same, but my current unit is binary: either on or off. If it's on a lower setting, it cycles on and off more slowly. If you turn it up, it just cycles on more frequently. I have found that learning to cook with it has been a steep learning curve and I still don't love it. That may be a concern if people are just using your unit for shorter stays. 

Hi @David7702 

Welcome to the community 😊

Of course is Gas, Gas, and Gas!

The gas cooking is better than electric range stove.

1. The stove top easy to clean and maintain 
  2. Stove and oven heat faster
  3. Instant control of heat from low to high instantly 
  4. Easy to control the temperature 
  5. More versatile for grilling and simmering
  6. Has stove work well with any type of pot and pan

The gas is cheaper than electric.

That can be quite a savings if the guest cookslot or have a large family. When weighing in against gas vs electric you should really be considering the cost.

Besides, you can save 30% in energy costs when you cook with gas.

Happy Hosting ✌️

@Dale711 Did you miss the part where the OP said he doesn't have gas????

**[Off- topic comment removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@David7702 we currently have an induction cooktop in our Airbnb. My advice is to avoid it at all costs.

It is hard to find reasonably priced cookware (we did but had to order online). We have to explain to every guest how to use the cooktop as they do not get the concept that the pot or pan has to be on the burner before turning on the cooktop. On ours you have to place the pan on the burner, then select power, select the burner, then select the temperature. The all-digital keypad is not something familiar for most guests when using a cooktop. We even had a couple of guests bring their own pot (weird) and were disappointed they could not use it.

We installed it for safety reasons but it has been a big pain. We are building more apartments and we are moving to gas cooktops. 

Jorge
Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@David7702  

I have an induction cooktop in my listing and guests love it. I only have cookware that works with induction so there is no way for guests to confuse anything.

Here's some statistics what the percentage of induction cooktops in Germany is:

2021-05-08 Induktionskochfeld.jpg

So in 20216 in 60% of all german households induction cooktops were in use. And now we are in 2021, I think we can well assume that 80+% of all german households do have induction.

Why is it that so many people in Germany use induction? I think that's because Germany is a high tech country.

Hi @Ute42

what brand of induction cooktop and cookware do you have 🙂 ?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

old school enamel pots work with induction cooktop and most IKEA pots as well

I have 2 portable induction cooktops in my 2 long-term rentals, I provided instructions and no problem,

But in STR maybe is best to stick to the simplest and most durable appliances

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@David7702

Stick to plain old fashioned Stovetop.

Induction cooktop stoves, even when one provides appropriate saucepans, can explode and cause fires just as easily as other ones if Guests fail to read instructions, or bring their own cooking equipment.

A fellow ABB Host here in Auckland had a guest who is a chef who operates Restaurants in the UK stay at their place & he munted (as in destroyed completely) the Induction cooktop using saucepans of their own and not knowing how to use it..

Apparently they tried to escape through the window and the Fire Brigade were called amongst other things

Best to be cautious and remember no matter how well we inform Guests how to use appliances...there's always those one may assume who know how to operate  them but don't and at tines unforeseen Consequences including explosive plastics and loud BANGS!!!

All the best

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Ute42 @Dale711 @Mike-And-Jane0 

@Alexandra336 @Angelica-Y-Jorge0 

@Helen427  @Ute42 

would you explain the part about "explosive plastics and loud BANGS!!!" ?

I always thought that if someone uses the wrong type of pots on the induction top then nothing will happen, except it wouldn't heat the meal. Now you are telling me it could cause fire??

we have a classic electric cooktop in our Airbnb and some guests leave empty pots on it while it is still hot and ruin them. I suppose they are used to induction tops. Nothing is 100% full proof unfortunately

@Branka-and-Silvia0   

I have an induction cooktop in my guesthouse for 7 years and I never had any exlposions.

I think the fact that some people don't know how to operate induction is a specific phenomena of low tech countries like the US.

IMG_3441.jpg

@Alexandra316 @David7702 @Lisa723 @Lorna170 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Ute42 @Max144 

Munted Induction cooker..

From what I was advised, and one may reasonably expect when used incorrectly, it results in an explosive BANG!!

Soot was throughout the property to as a result of incorrect use.

There's also helpful discussions online in other forums.

Our family home had an up to the minute smooth top Ceramic Stove top with Rotisserie oven to cook Poultry when they were first introduced in the late 1970's.

I always find it amusing when people think smooth top stoves are only a recent thing in society.

@Ute42your comments oft bring a smile having family originate from a bordering country in Europe 🙂