Liability Waivers.

Sam544
Level 2
Loudonville, OH

Liability Waivers.

Hello,   I am a host of several properties and I recently booked a place to stay as a guest.  After booking I received a link to an electronic liability waiver that I am required to sign prior to arrival. (basically agreeing to not have any right to sue them no matter what the conditions)  I am fine with doing this,  My question is should I be doing the same for all my listings as well?  How much will it really help in the event of a lawsuit and am I not covered up to $1m through host protection insurance?     

Any insight on this matter would be wonderful.

Thank you 

Sam

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sam544 why are you OK signing your rights away in a waiver? Unless it was fully described in the listing I wouldn't do so (neither would I book a place that requires it).

I also don't rely on the host protection insurance - All hosts would be well advised to put their own insurance in place especially for liability issues.

@Mike-And-Jane0 when you signed up to be a host with Airbnb you signed your rights away with their multi-page waiver. How is this any different? As hosts opening up our homes and properties we should be doing the same. We have so much to loose if something goes wrong during a guests stay. 

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz

@Michelle1164 I don't know US law BUT under English law you cannot, as an individual, sign away your fundamental rights in a contract with a company. Even if the contract says you have no rights it is not enforceable under English law (European laws are similar). Company-company contracts are different as it is assumed that a company knows what it is doing when it signs away it's rights.

Yes, we have 6 units on a river and need an additional waiver, according to our insurance, so I'm trying to figure out how to have guests sign one online.  Also, unfortunately I have heard many stories of Airbnb's insurance not helping, which is unfortunate, and I hope not the way they operate.