New laws being implemented for Cobb County Airbnb properties

Pamela884
Level 2
Marietta, GA

New laws being implemented for Cobb County Airbnb properties

Hi my name is Pamela and I own and operate an Airbnb here in Cobb County Marietta Georgia. They want to pass rules requiring that you have a Business license, Occupational tax certificate, short term rental agreement, occupancy tax (which seems we already have that) and charge a motel tax, tourism fee and state and local fees/taxes relating to the lodging of individuals. Also violation fees of $500.00 , $750.00 and 1,000.00.

It will change the Airbnb community. You also have to let your neighbors know that you are operating an Airbnb.  Please reach out to me at **. The plan is to pass this in January. 

**Sensitive information removed

25 Replies 25
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think we will have more and more areas introduce licensing etc to manage STRs in their area. @Pamela884 

I think introducing fines for hosts who have guests who disturb their neighbourhoods is a good thing.

And licensing will hopefully weed out some hosts who just see STRs as a get rich quick opportunity. 

what do you think ? 

Hi, we already have rules and regulations to deal with parking and noise violations in place that are not being used. I believe HOA can decide for themselves what they would like to do. We are not corporations where we can pay all these taxes and then have to charge and collect fees from our guest changes the simplicity of the interaction with your guest. Do you ah e an airbnb in Cobb?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Pamela884,

I almost missed your post, because you didn't tag my ID (@Debra300).  So, I didn't receive a notification.  Yes, I have a listing in South Cobb County.  Based upon the concerns that you've stated, it seems that your listings are located in a different type of neighborhood than mine.  Our place is in an unincorporated area, ion large lots and not a part of an HOA.  I am pretty sure that the Airbnb community will survive in Cobb County if the short-term regulations are passed.

Doesn’t not matter if you are In an Hoa or not I’m not in an HOA and all these rules are to apply to me as well. My airbnb is actually in my home. Another rule is anyone who does not host the the space must have an on call person 24hrs. So if anything happens that person must be onsite in a half an hour. You have money to hire someone to be on call 24hrs. If you do that’s great I’m happy for you. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Pamela884,

I have an Airbnb rental in Mableton, also in Cobb County.  A similar law was proposed earlier this year, but was blocked by state legislation, http://eastcobbnews.com/proposed-cobb-short-term-rental-ordinance-changes-delayed/#:~:text=The%20pro....  I just did a Google search, and didn't find any recent mention of this proposal.  Would you please share any link that you have?

They have not made it public yet. I do not have a link I have the actual proposal that they plan on passing as I was asked to give input on the matter. Upon reading it I was very alarmed and concerned as should EVERY Airbnb owner. When the new commissioner takes over she plans on passing these ordinances in January.

Jay1586
Level 1
Cumming, GA

@Pamela884 Hello, we are getting ready to host our house on air bnb in Marietta. Near the square. Did any law pass that requires us to get any license? Or certificate or any sort? Thank you for your help 

Khristy2
Level 1
Austell, GA

Any new regulations?

Andrew2321
Level 2
Lithia Springs, GA

Hi, I'm getting ready to start Airbnb in Cobb County. Has anyone encountered any resistance since hosting? @Pamela884 @Jay1586 @Debra300 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I've not had any problems with hosting in Cobb County.  

There are public hearing dates on this coming up soon

Planning Commission Public Hearing Date:
7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2022

Board of Commissioners Public Hearing Dates:
7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022
9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2022

Do you know where I could find this information?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Was it not on the local government website for the area @LaKisha6 ??

Amity5
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hi @Pamela884  Do you have a link that shows the rate of all these fees and rates for occpational tax cert?