cleaning amenities

Answered!
Tony24
Level 1
Belgium

cleaning amenities

In the amenities section appears all of a sudden , cleaning before checkout, what does this mean? 

1 Best Answer
Kayla4
Level 5
Albuquerque, NM

Definition of amenity, "a desirable or useful feature or facility of a building or place."

Having to clean before checking out definitly does not fit the definition of amenity.  Leaving the unit in good shape vs. cleaning is different.  I am certainly not going to do the laundry, sweep, mop, clean showers, etc.  That being said, I did sweep at an Airbnb I stayed at after we left sand from the beach in the bathroom because I felt that would require more than the  "normal" amount of cleaning by the host.

To expect your guests to clean and leave it in condition for future guests is crazy!  There's no way it would be perfect and most of the time it probably wouldn't even be acceptible.  I wouldn't risk a bad review.

View Best Answer in original post

43 Replies 43
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Tony24

I was wondering about the same - to me it is simply confusing.

If you do not tick the box, will that give the guest a carte blance to leave any kind of mess ?

Or does it mean that the guest would have to to the full changeover process ? If so, that would be a very strange concept.

For holiday rentals it is often common practise to ask guests to tidy up, empty the fridge, take out the garbage, light vacuuming etc. so that the wet cleaing can start immediately after check-out.  Would this come under cleaning before departure ?

i had a guest the other week who left my place in a terrible state and when i mentioned it to him he said that it wasnt mentioned anywhere on my page that he needed to clean ( tidy up).
Altho its mentioned what they need to do before departure in 3 different mails that they receive  before and during their stay.

@Tony24

You only ask them to take out the garbage.  

This is what I put in my house rules - and most obey.  Those who did not, left a tip.

"Please read the information folder upon arrival and note how to leave the apartment on departure. Kitchen and appliances must be left clean and tidy, dishes done and stowed, dishwasher emptied, garbage disposed of."

they get a separate mail where we mention to leave the appartment in the state they recieved it, which means spotless 😉 

i know this will never happen but at least tidy up, ranging the towels on a drying rack, take out garbage , remove all food from the fridge etc.......and most of them do, there is always the odd couple that leave the place in a mess. I just take it on the chin and move on.

I have stated in our house manual, and house rules, etc... that guests are to clean and leave the rental in the same clean/tidy condition as it was upon their arrival. We have not had any major problems. The worse was actually another host and her family but we were able to take care of the problems/messes before they became too bad. 

I am still very curious about the wording of the cleaning before checkout amenity, under logistics. I so badly want to check it for yet another reminder to potential guests that they are expected to clean, but I am afraid that it could actually mean something completely different.

I have the same question and no one seems to know either?? 😞

Daniel850
Level 2
Waverley, Australia

I have this question too.

If there's an AirBnB Mod on this forum can we get a clarification...

Could mean... guests need to clean prior to checkout / or guests can receive an additional clean during their stay.

@Daniel850 yes, I was wondering the same, it could mean both 

Helen213
Level 10
New York, NY

Has anyone got an answer yet?

Interesting--I don't have it as a possibility on my listing under "amenities".  I wonder if it was just something they experimented with and dropped?  It would be confusing,

It is under Amenities, and then under the subheading Logistics... I honestly just discovered this section today. 

@Nakoma0  Found it!  Thanks for the tip.  While I expect guests to "tidy up", I would never expect the guest to clean the house or space as it was found as some hosts have expressed. So like others, I am confused by this "amenity".

It is still in the listing under "Logistics".  Im still waiting for an answer. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

It is really somewhat dubious.

It may mean that the listing offers cleaning service during the guest stay.

It may also mean that the guest does not have to clean the property before checking out (?)