cleaning amenities

Answered!
Tony24
Level 1
Belgium

cleaning amenities

In the amenities section appears all of a sudden , cleaning before checkout, what does this mean? 

1 Best Answer
Kayla4
Level 5
Albuquerque, NM

Definition of amenity, "a desirable or useful feature or facility of a building or place."

Having to clean before checking out definitly does not fit the definition of amenity.  Leaving the unit in good shape vs. cleaning is different.  I am certainly not going to do the laundry, sweep, mop, clean showers, etc.  That being said, I did sweep at an Airbnb I stayed at after we left sand from the beach in the bathroom because I felt that would require more than the  "normal" amount of cleaning by the host.

To expect your guests to clean and leave it in condition for future guests is crazy!  There's no way it would be perfect and most of the time it probably wouldn't even be acceptible.  I wouldn't risk a bad review.

View Best Answer in original post

43 Replies 43
Liz170
Level 2
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

I came looking for this exact information! I noticed this box a while ago and have avoided ticking it to avoid confusing my guests! I think it's good to clarify to guests (recent guests seem to be quite inconsiderate about tidiness and cleanliness) as to what's expected but a tick box is not going to be enough as everyone will have slightly different needs. I charge a cleaning fee that covers half my cleaning costs and I simply request that my guests strip the two beds and wipe round in the Kitchen - really easy, however fairly time saving for us. If guests are very messy or untidy, however, it has a significant impact on the amount of time it takes to turn the property round for the next guests and most of our guests stay just one night. So, I would certainly appreciate being able to tick that box and put a clarifying statement. Until Airbnb allow that, I don't think I'll be able to make use of it - there's too much potential for confusion. Of course some guests wouldn't read the statement anyway ;-)!

Susan868
Level 3
New York, United States

I am wondering the same thing -- which leads me to -- How do we hosts contact Airbnb to ask questions such as this?  Because as a traveler, if I see an "amenity" on the listing that says "Cleaning before checkout,"  that could have different meanings.  Are they saying I could hire cleaning services during my stay? (...like turndown service, haha)...If so, then why not say "Additional cleaning services available for hire during your stay"?  Or does it mean guests are supposed to clean something before checking out ...  If so, what are they supposed to clean?  It's like saying some kind of cleaning task is required but we are not going to tell you what it is... You have to clean some unidentified objects or something ... We don't know... We'll let you figure that out.  (??)

I replied with what support told me about this (I don’t think it was attached to your message - I’m new to this forum and figuring it out). So I guess it’s for if you don’t charge a cleaning fee and want guest to tidy up, which I’m assuming would be wiping things down and taking out trash. As someone who charges a cleaning fee I don’t feel right asking them to do that, but it is nice if they generally clean up after themselves. Trying to decide if I should have them strip beds or not. I’m leaning towards not, as I’m charging them a cleaning fee. 

I charge a cleaning fee and feel that means that I strip the beds and vacuum the floor and mop. The guests tend to do their own dishes and I empty the bins. It would only be a problem if they left the place in a right state but I share an adjoining wall with the flat so would have an idea if too much mess was being made. I have found most people to be respectful. 

Sorry for the multiple replies. I didn’t answer your initial question. On the app if you click on the profile icon and scroll almost down to the bottom there is an option “Get Help” that will eventually get to a place where you can message Support. As a new host I’ve been using it a lot and their support team has been pretty helpful and quick to respond. 

Hi Terrica,

I have been wondering for three years what this meant.  I read your responce and it just did not make scense because the other items in Logistics are positives for Guests.  I just hung up with an Airbnb representative and he told me it was us doing cleaning while they were there...  So who do we beleive??  do we call again to break the tie?  lol

I'm looking as well googling what does this mean?  I can't imagine asking my guests to clean.  They are GUESTS!  Of course please don't trash my house, but I go daily during someone's stay and take out trash wipe up counters for them, make the bed, and will even do some light laundry.  I don't think the idea of traveling includes dusting, etc.  This link is very confusing, and I am leaving that box unchecked since it comes with NO explanation of what it even means.  Does it mean that I come and invade your time there to see if you were a neat obedient guest, or help you pack?  I will just assume it is requesting the guest to clean and say no to this.  There is also the option to leave a review if they treat your home badly and I think that is more than enough.  If I wanted to clean a house I would stay home! 

Terrica0
Level 3
Portland, OR

I asked support and this is what I was told. 39AA7762-ED83-44C7-97CA-FE646F90C726.png

Thanks for this clarification.  Airbnb need to EXPLAIN this statement to guests on the forum as many guests will read this and expect the host to come in and clean during their stay when they read the ambiguous statement.   It could therefore result in guests leaving the listing in a worse mess than if they had not read this statement!   I am stearing clear of this statement until they fix it.  If it is under 'amenities' it indicates that it is an amenity that the host is supplying TO the guest (ie cleaning).  Very bad design on the part of AirBnB and will lead to many disputes.  Thank again for explaining it to the few, (lets hope AirBnB will now try to explain it to everyone by clarifying it with a description).

I just now called Airbnb and they told me it does mean we go in and clean while they are there.

Marty

I totally agree.  If it is for hosts who are not charging a cleaning fee to tell guests to spruce up before they leave, that is 1) NOT an Amenity, and 2) very vague instructions for guests.

Kayla4
Level 5
Albuquerque, NM

Definition of amenity, "a desirable or useful feature or facility of a building or place."

Having to clean before checking out definitly does not fit the definition of amenity.  Leaving the unit in good shape vs. cleaning is different.  I am certainly not going to do the laundry, sweep, mop, clean showers, etc.  That being said, I did sweep at an Airbnb I stayed at after we left sand from the beach in the bathroom because I felt that would require more than the  "normal" amount of cleaning by the host.

To expect your guests to clean and leave it in condition for future guests is crazy!  There's no way it would be perfect and most of the time it probably wouldn't even be acceptible.  I wouldn't risk a bad review.

@Kayla4   I don't think there's many, if any hosts who expect guests to leave the place spotless and ready for the next guests, whether they charge a cleaning fee or not. Things like you did, sweeping the floor because it was full of sand you tracked in, washing the dishes that were used, cleaning up spilled food, wiping down countertops, wiping down a greasy stovetop,  not leaving disgusting things like hork in the bathroom sink, or fecal matter stuck to the toilet bowl, etc, and making sure all garbage is in the garbage can, not just strewn about, are what most hosts would appreciate and expect good guests to do. Vacuuming, mopping floors, thorough bathroom cleaning, laundry, etc, are things most hosts expect to deal with themselves. 

Krisy2
Level 2
Hervey Bay, Australia

I charge a 1 off cleaning fee of $40 for a whole 2 bedroom self contained house wether a guest stays one night or 10, in house rules I only ask a guest to leave the house generally tidy , just dishes done , wipe down the bench and take out the garbage before they leave.   $40 covers the thorough detailed clean of the whole house including BBQ and washing of sheets towels etc for change over ready for the next guest and cleaning products aren’t cheap.  I sometimes think I’m not charging enough after a 3 or 4 night stay.   I’m fairly new to Airbnb and still feeling my way through.  So this community has been a great help.

Mary361
Level 2
Cleveland, OH

I want to check this box as yes I come in daily and give you extra service but at this point it is too confusing to the guests to possibly think I expect them to clean so I am leaving it in my descrption only and not ticking this box until it gets more clarification by Airbnb.