Fee for charging electric vehicle?

Answered!
David3095
Level 2
Newton, NC

Fee for charging electric vehicle?

We have had request to allow charging of electric vehicles overnight at our bed and breakfast.

Can we state in the listing that there will be an additional fee collected onsite for charging?

The fees would vary depending on the kwh usage. 

1 Best Answer
Thom4
Level 2
Dalton, GA

Wow, I see a lot of misconceptions here on the cost to charge an EV.   My Model 3 cost me $12.30 USD to charge it from home for the first 5 weeks I owned it. We used a total 167KW of power during that time period paying 7.4 cents per KW from our local utility.

We also didn't have to spend more than about $250 to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage to plug the mobile charging cable in to. You shouldn't have to install a dedicated charger, only a 14-50 outlet.

A NEMA 14-50 outlet a very common dryer outlet used here in the US.

View Best Answer in original post

39 Replies 39
Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@David3095   You can always add it in your listing that you will allow guests to charge their EV's, or you can just accommodate it for the guests who ask and not post it in the listing, but let them know there is an extra charge. 

The only thing is you would have to request the extra money through the ABB app and hope they pay it. 

We have an EV charger installed at our home, but have not had any EV guests yet, so I do not mention in my listing I have a charger. 

anyone have an idea what a good base flat fee would be for allowing EV charging overnight? I live in SoCal and electricity is not the cheapest here 

Alison675
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Kaylee18- how do you request the extra money through the Airbnb app?  ie is this through a specific way on the Airbnb app or just a message to them? 

How much do we charge per day?

@David3095  You are allowed to ask for an additional fee for any items or services that aren't presented as listed amenities. (For parking and laundry, there is the option to specify whether it's free or paid)

It's much easier to deal with flat fees, because with those you can ask the guest to prepay through the Resolutions tool. For things that are metered, you're basically on the honor system, so you might want to wait until the guest has earned your trust rather than advertise  it to all on the listing.

Harry373
Level 1
Knoxville, TN

Stumbled across this looking to see if I can find places with the ability to charge.  I would expect it will cost you <$5/night.  But, it would make your house more marketable, and you could charge more per stay, even for those who don't use it.  I know that I would absolutely pay more for a place that had that ability, as I'd rather drive my EV than my wife's car on the trips I take, and one place I frequent requires a 30 minute drive each way to charge.  I would love for AirBnB to add that as a filter.

Gary-And-Rose0
Level 7
Chemainus, Canada

As above it’s only 3-5 dollars max a night. I’d just eat it and be thankful for the stay. Cost of doing business. 

we have a Hyundai Kona EV the most it cost driving 180 kms a day is 60 a month. Didn’t even think to offer it in my description. Will do

This sounds like motivated reasoning. Just because you would like to charge your EV for free doesn't mean that it's ok. Most of us can't afford such a luxury.

I agree. I wouldn't expect to pay for a guest gasoline. 

Pamela539
Level 2
Gig Harbor, WA

Interesting to read comments about charging electric cars.  We just recently had an inquiry about a guest wanting to charge their car.  I told them we weren’t set up for this.  After they arrived they asked if they could use our extension cord and charge their car.  My husband said no.  I really believe the reason he said no was because the guest was so unbelievably pushy.  This was her third attempt and each time the answer had been the same.  I’ve since been reading about this and know we will need to address issue.  I guess our options are to charge, raise rates or just let it go.  Thanks for all the comments above as it will give me different ways to view this.  

Nina1161
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

The lady I had left £5 for the charging. I think in future if I get the request we will be ready for the answer of £5 for a full charge. Your lady sounds like she wanted to fuel her car for nothing and that’s not on

Kim3010
Level 2
Alresford, United Kingdom

I think it costs around £20-£35 to fully charge a mid-large electric (ie. Tesla) from empty to full.  I don't think this can be done over night on typical domestic supply (ie. not a specific ev charge point), but can maybe fully charge over a 24 hour period.  

Despite our listing saying we weren't suitable for electric. Someone did arrive in a Tesla and asked to charge their car.  They said they wanted just enough to give them peace of mind for their return journey. At least they asked, but they left it in for 24 hours and made no offer to cover any costs. 

Some very rough maths, but here goes.... I think it's about 20-26p per KW (based on other EV point pricing).  And it's roughly 1KW for 3.5 miles.   This all massively depends on the vehicle but it's a guide!  Therefore, to charge for 300 miles is c.£20-25. 

I don't think that £5 is enough - unless it's one of the smallest electric vehicles with the 30KW battery versus the Tesla with a 100KW battery. I'm going to suggest £20 per day.

In the UK, utility prices for residential customers are 12-24p per kWh. The long range tesla model 3 is a 75kWh battery. The average battery size for electric cars is 61.5kWh.  Nobody is going to roll into your airbnb on empty and charge to full, and unless you have a dedicated charging station installed, it will take several days to do that anyway (but again, nobody is going to arrive empty). Most will use less than £5 a day. Worst case scenario, you may have someone use £12 a day for multiple days. Don't charge £20 a day to every EV owner who wants to put a little juice in their car overnight. 

I agree that £20 maybe too much but they should still pay a contribution to the  little juice they have put in the car after all we don't give out free petrol or diesel to our guests. Why should electric car owners be treated differently.