General Cleaning Tips?

General Cleaning Tips?

Hey guys - I'm a new host and currently do my own cleaning (I may switch to a cleaning service later). I cover all the obvious stuff - beds, bathrooms, kitchen, living area, etc. but was wondering if there's anything you guys do to go the extra mile. I'm looking for a small thing that would really take my apartment to the next level. I've heard of people leaving mints or chocolates on the pillows - that's a great one.

Thanks in advance!

43 Replies 43
Adam645
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

Biggest one I usually do is clean your light switches - those things can get nasty but you don't notice them because you're used to them. A bit of rubbing alcohol every 6 months should do the trick.

By the way, I shamelessly stole that tip from the Hux blog haha.

Oh thanks! Yeah I'll defintely check that out.

Ray-and-Catriona0
Level 2
United Kingdom

Its all about expectations.

If guests expect <===> and receive <======> then they are pleased and leave good reviews. If you set the bar high and thats what they get, they just feel, well, its what we expected.

Every property is different. Depends on how much a night you charge, how long the bookings are for. 

I have included guest soaps, made locally, with our name on it, Cost, £0.70. Flowers, maybe £5 a week. Very little compared to the daily charge for the apartment. But little touches.

Cleanliness is the number one thing. You can have the best place in the world and everything can be perfect - all it takes is one curly hair found in the shower and thats all they remember.

The kitchen, if your kitchen is mainly for "show" i.e. guests are hardly likely to eat in say if you are in a city, then basics is fine. But if they are likely to be actually using it, think of what wee extras a kitchen for a guest would need. Collander for draining spaghetti? Measuring jug? Replace your chopping boards if they are being used as it doesnt take long to start to look tatty.

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

As mentioned in the previous post, hair, curly or not. I host in Malaysia where the majority of people have black hair, and go figure the majority of homes have white tile. I'm not OCD but everytime after I clean a lone hair creeps out of nowhere and it really bugs me. My place is pristine and if I notice one I can just imagine my next guest does as well. No kidding here, I had a lovely group of people who stayed for two nights and I literally had a football size of hair swept up before vacuuming. Yup, little negative = lasting impressions. 

#1-Vacuum the bathroom tile

#2- Sweep the bathroom tile

#3- Swifter sweepers work well for getting up hair. 

#4- Clean bathroom floors on your hands & knees. It’s actually a lot quicker & easier. You won’t miss any hairs. 

I get on my hands and knees for the bathroom as well..can't miss anything that way..nice to know I am not the only one..lol

@Maree25   LOL....I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one!   😉

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Jason855 As a remote host I can't leave chocolates on the pillow.  But three things drive me crazy:  random assortments of hangers, sloppily folded towels, and not enough pillows.  These aren't cleaning tips, but you can clean very well and still have these touches that ruin the vibe.

You can get good wooden hangers at Ikea, Bed Bath & Beyond, and many other places.  My cleaner throws out the janky wire hangers that people leave behind.  And when I interviewed her, I made her fold a towel!  :):):)

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I really dislike chocolates on pillows because I don't want anyone getting an idea that eating in the bed is a good idea.

I find that cleaning at different times of day shows up some shockers: I normally clean between 12 and 2 but on the odd time I find myself cleaning  in the morning or late afternoon the light falls differently showing up marks I have missed, cobwebs or whatever.

Also, look up high, above eyelevel. Dust, cobwebs.

And when you have cleaned, make things neat and straighten chairs etc. House will never look clean if chairs etc are not neat.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jason855  Turn on ceiling light fixtures and wall sconces. They can get filled with dead bugs and dirt. Since we're usually cleaning in daylight, we wouldn't notice.

I also wipe light switches and doorknobs with Lysol wipes between guests. A nurse friend of mine once told me that doorknobs can have a lot of bacteria on them, makes sense.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I do the same! Light switches can be disgusting after some guests...

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Jason855  No matter how wonderful your washer and dryer are, I almost always find that a lint brush/sheet helps touch up the sheets. I also use it before I put the sheets into the dryer if there are hairs on the pillow cases or sheets.

Just because you can't see hairs and dust on your floors doesn't mean they aren't there. Vacuum after every single guest, moving any furniture that you can so ensure that you have captured all the hairs, dust, and random bits of salt.

Check the walls behind where you have the hair dryer. Amazing how many hairs stick to the walls in the one spot.

[Can you tell that hair the bane of my existence?]

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jason855 

Have to agree with @Susan151  a rogue hair in a bed will be the kiss of death to a hosting career. Concentrate on clean!

Jason I have found that providing lots of 'stuff' simply leads to an expectation in future guests minds that 'lots of stuff' will be on offer! I don't think offering gimmicks actually helps you as a host!

No matter how humble what you offer might be, do it well and the bookings will come. Remember, the less a guest expects, the more they will be delighted with what they get!

Quite often I will prepare a meal which we will share with our guests. But the guests are under strict instructions not to make any mention of this in the review process. The last thing I need is future guests thinking that a meal is going to automatically appear, and when it doesn't, I am the one that will get caned in the review process!

Clean to the best of your ability and be as congenial as you can and guests will come Jason!

Cheers......Rob

I agree.

‘Under promise and over provide’

I’ve noticed people really try and glam-up their profile. I think this is a HUGE marketing error !!!

Because guest arrive with higher expectations then the hosts can reach. The guests are disappointed and give a bed review. 

My profile is understated but when guests arrive I give them great service & get great reviews.