Refund request declined but Airbnb paid the guest anyways.

Refund request declined but Airbnb paid the guest anyways.

Hello, 

I'm fairly new to this game. I've been hosting for a couple of months and I love it. Today when I was checking out my payouts I noticed there was a -$70 and to my surprise it was a refund that I declined but Airbnb apparently decided to pay the guest anyhow. I went to the resolution center and I'm not able to find any information past my decline to the guest. How can I know when Airbnb favors a guest in a dispute? 

The situation was very weird because the person book a stay and sent a message that he wanted to stay at my beautiful cabins. Then a couple of weeks passed and the guest cancelled and told me that his account was hacked and that he wanted a full refund. I declined and told Airbnb that if they favor the guest regarding an account being hacked and some hacker is able to book random reservations that means that all Airbnb customers should be very scared that their platform is susceptible to hacking and it is not secure. They went ahead and deducted the $70 from my last payout and I didn't even knew they had favor the guest. 

1 Reply 1
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

It's great that you've gotten off to a good start, but that's Airbnb's greatest strength. They generate bookings. That's one thing you can depend on. 

Unfortunately, everything else is rather chaotic and unpredictable. And there's these scams.. Heavily lopsided victimizing the host, rather than the guest. Airbnb will always favour the guest in any ruling, so it's best to avoid Airbnb involvement, if possible 

My mantra is to involve Airbnb as little as possible, because the risks of Airbnb intervention are too high. 

Deal directly with the guest wherever possible. Getting Airbnb involved can really have negative effect on  you. 

Airbnb realistically delivers only a few things:

Bookings

Payments

Reviews

That's all you can expect, and aside from that, it's best to keep them out of everything else. 

I hope that helps...