Super hot day

Nicole2592
Level 3
Loxahatchee, FL

Super hot day

Hi fellow hosts! We have homes in Texas which gets VERY hot and has been getting very cold in winters lately too. The houses in the area we are in are poorly insulated because they’re 100+ years old and weren’t meant for these temperatures. Today it reached 100 degrees and our guests are very aggravated that the house won’t get below 77. We are sending out our handyman to see if anything can be done, though I’m not sure he can. We ordered heaters during winter because we had some nights in the 30s and the temperature couldn’t stay above 65.

What is reasonable for host to do to make their guests comfortable? It is going to cost more to have him out than one night of her stay. Most guests have been super reasonable and understanding. We have our other two houses filled with no complaints today. But some people get super fussy when it’s not within the 5 degrees they are comfortable with. 

2 Replies 2
Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Hi @Nicole2592 

We have a vintage bunkhouse that we rent on ABB. Many older houses here did not have AC or insulation when they were built over 100 years ago. I have it in my description that we do not have AC. We do have a swamp cooler that is pretty good most of the time. It is part of the old time charm of our place to sit outside in the shade to be cooler in the evenings. We do not have a large enough electric service to put in modern AC. If a guest complained of the heat after checking in, I would offer them a refund of un-used days, the above explanation of our vintage home's situation, and move on. We are not adding an Air Conditioner at this time, not until we can afford to install an upgraded electric service!

Ted & Chris
Patricia1375
Level 4
Nederland, CO

@Nicole2592Climate change is a bear.  We live at 8,500' elevation and no houses up here have a/c. Summers are getting much hotter (compared to what most up here are use to) and sometimes our cabin get's in the 90's.  What would make your temps hard for me is the humidity on top of 100 degree heat.  Something unheard of 15 years ago.  We upgraded our ceiling fans to have heavyduty motors that really move the air, and also have portable floor fans in all three bedrooms.  As I live up here, I can say the floor fans really help my comfort level since I can aim them right at me where ever i move. 

Our listing clearly specifies we are in the mountains and no one has a/c.  Our guests from the southern states don't'seem to mind the warmer summer days, as most are outside recreating anyway.  And those same southerners say our evening in August dictate to them to put sweaters on.  I would emphasize the age of your rental, lack of insulation comes with the charm.   Let them know you are already offering space heaters which is very considerate.  Offering floor fans might be something to consider, (to get a direct breeze) but that's the most I would do.  I have no plans to put in A/c.