Im Paul from the UK and Im new to the AirBnB platform

I have 2 properties, 1 in Spain and 1 in Norfolk, UK

Any newbie tips would be appreciated 

Paul 

8 Replies 8
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Paul7635 I suggest that you browse the “New to Hosting” Section and read a few posts in the recent section every day.

Ask specific questions when you have them and we will try to answer them.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul7635 Ignore the Airbnb price tips - they are stupidly low

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul7635 Also I see you have a flexible cancellation policy. This allows guests to cancel the day before they arrive and even during their stay and still get a refund. If the weather is bad you will lose out. We have a strict policy and still get bookings.

Thanks @Mike-And-Jane0  noted and much appreciated 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Hi @Paul7635 Welcome to the community and to hosting 🙂 

You've made a smart choice coming here as a newbie. You will learn a lot of by browing topics, which will save you a lot of trouble down the road. Start with the 'new to hosting' forum and feel free to ask questions. Also be sure to thoroughly read all the hosting articles in the Airbnb help pages, if you haven't already. You really need to know how everything works before you dive in too far. For instance,

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/as-a-host-what-penalties-apply-if-i-cancel-a-reservation-for-...

My top tip would be to do the opposite of whatever Airbnb suggests you do. Airbnb only cares about getting bookings, at any cost to you.

Best of luck!

@Paul7635 I agree with @Colleen253 that the more your browse the community the more you will learn. Do  not worry too much about all the negative comments. It is well researched that 80% of people who have a bad experience will publicise it whereas only 0.5% of people who have a good experience publicise it.

Also it is important to know that 99% of all statistics are made up.

@Mike-And-Jane0 thank you 

I’ve been in business for many years and understand that there will always be challenges, and ultimately people are people who all have different traits, personalities etc 

that said, I’m always learning, as we all are, but will value advice given.  As for the negative comments, again we are all different and have our own perception of how to handle “challenges”

appreciate your comments 👍

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul7635 Welcome and Good Luck!

Think carefully about how you present any house rules and pretend you are training a toddler to follow them.

Have a clear policy about extra guests.

Have a clear policy about late check out and early check in.

Be prepared for guests to leave their brains behind when they travel.

You'll host lots of nice people and this way you won't be stung by the eejits!