Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Educating first-time guests

First-time guests

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good week.

We know how much time and effort you all put into welcoming your guests and making them feel at home.This is why, when you have guests booking on Airbnb for the first time, we want to set the right expectations for you and your home.

If your expectations are misaligned, this can lead to less than ideal trips and reviews, which is discouraging for everyone involved and something that has been mentioned here in the Community Center before. So to help these travelers understand the unique, local experience they can have when they stay in your home, I wanted to let you know that we’re reaching out to educate first-time guests before they arrive at your doorstep!

To find out more information about this take a look at this blog article.

Do you have any handy tips on how you manage expectations for your first-time Airbnb guests?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Kathryn119
Level 3
Holbury, GB

Hi there Lizzie,

I totally agree with Elaine, this is an excellent idea, not only for guests but also for newbie host such as myself.

I have had quite a few issues already where guests have obviously not fully read my listing ( House Rules etc ) and tried to do third party booking or posted images of animals, wonderful scenes etc in place of their ID photos.  Lovely though these may be and it does lead to some very friendly and humourous banter, as a single woman, I will not accept a simple telephone number and an email address as ID verification.

I am aware how inconvenienced guests feel at having to review their bookings, KISS as they say is the right way to go and once properly registered, their bookings will alays be very quick and simple.

After hosting for a couple of months, As well as a welcome message, I also send guests a seperate one, asking if they have any specific requirement and remind them to review my 'House Rules' and 'Other Things to Note' which advises them of most things, including Breakfasts, as some have expected full english, which I do not do.

So far, I love hosting and am so pleased that Abnb are looking to communicate more fully with new guests, this should alleviate any confusion as to where we hosts sit in the scheme of things.

Kathryn 🙂

Kathryn

We agree with you.  We will not book anyone that does not have their picture on their profile.  Animals and the like will not due.  I want to know the person booking is the person we check in.  We also require full verification and will refuse them if they do not list some form of government ID... like a drivers license.

Also we often send a message as their trip approaches asking if they have questions and please keep us posted on arrival time.  As another host mentioned, some people can keep you waiting an awfully long time. Our latest was 11:45 pm one night.  Our check in is between 2 and 8 pm which we think most people should be able to meet.  The worstoffenders are those coming after work.  

Kathleen and Dave

I agree on the picture. I also think it should be a photo where you can see what they look like. I've had cats and one taken from a distance you couldn't see their face. That should be detected by Airbnb since they're dealing   with these people before we are.

people gegorexwe ste

Lorraine31
Level 3
London, GB

On occasions bookings are made by Companies on behalf of their staff/representatives/agents, etc;

also booking are made by the potential guests Relatives.

Question:  Do the ACTUAL GUEST get to know the rules?

On several occasions I have encountered instances where it is obvious the guest does not know the rules.

I have had guests asking if they can smoke and do laundry, etc when the listing clearly states 'No'.

Obviously long term guests are allowed laundry facilities, but not those booking short trips.

Christina236
Level 3
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Some good points made here. I will have to be more careful to check what verifications people have (and check for a proper photo on their airbnb profile), and make sure that I make direct contact with the guests, not just the person who might be making a booking on their behalf. I have already made a personal rule not to accept last minute bookings from anyone who has not had at least one positive review. I have had only 2 occasions when someone has booked within a few hours of arriving; both times this was the first airbnb booking the guest had ever made; and in both cases it was a poor experience. 

@Lorraine31 hello, I had on my listing "if you read this far ask for a 10% discount" not 1 person asked me for a discount in the 3 months it was posted.

just saying

Great point Bruce. Guests do not bother to read rules or manuals. I have a guest checking in tomorrow and I before booking I asked her if she read my rules and manual. ashe said yes. When I asked her what time will shine arriving tomorrow she said around 10am. My check in is between 3pm and 10pm. Luckily for her my husband will be home. I do not mind making exceptions like that but they need to ask if it is possible not just assume. Guests do not read or abide rules even if they read them. Another current guest has been leaving my apartment door open for the past three nights. No one is home. She arrives in the middle of the night and leaves late afternoon and there is no one at home. I am coming home to en unlocked door every day. I am only hoping I do not get  rob. 

@Lizzie exactly right --- this new setup DOES NOT adequately show guests the House Rules. They click Accept, BUT they only saw the tip of the iceberg about the rules... they must click a button to see the whole list and they DO NOT DO IT. We will never have adequate following of the rules if the guest has never seen them. ABB must do better at showing and confirming all the rules, not just the first opening lines and then let the guest move on without ever seeing the rest.

I think it's also important for Airbnb to stress to newbies that they need to completely fill out their profiles since this is all based on mutual trust.  The more hosts know, the more likely we are to feel comfortable having them in our homes.

Melissa63
Level 3
Portland, OR

Thanks, Lizzie. This is a great idea. I'd love if the message also included a request for guests to install the Airbnb app on their phone (if possible) with notifications turned on. I try to use the Airbnb platform exclusively for communication, but if a guest doesn't have the app on their phone they may not receive my messages during their stay. I then have to resort to texting or calling them directly which is not ideal. I find this to be more common with new-to Airbnb guests.

Thanks!

Melissa

I agreed with you Melissa. Guests should be educated on that as well. It is always best to keep all communications via airbnb so they are aware of how the reservation is going. It has been hard for me as well to have guests stay in touch and reply to my messages. 

I applause this great initiative, we desperately needed it!, I receive a lot of newbies and they are a lottery 50/50 chances to be good or bad. So, definitely, this will help, however, a couple of consideration:
- Are you validating that they read ALL the house's rules before to book, or just those one that Airbnb bullets?
- Millennials don't like to read, can you make a video that they HAVE to watch about house's etiquette. Maybe some funny sketches of people behaving inappropriately in other people houses.
- Expectations and reviews: We used to say at home that some of the newbies want "Champagne service with a beer budget", We rent a bedroom in our home and I'm super proud of being a Super Host with 5 stars average, from our 105 reviews, 6 of them have been 4 stars, most of them have been from newbies and all millennials. The worst was a young man who was coming from another city (same country) to my city to take a very important test. Well, he didn't know how to use Airbnb and, before to pay he insisted that I give him my phone number to text me his questions, I spend almost 2 hours trying to educate him how Airbnb works and why I wasn't able to send him my phone number.
During his stayed I explained to him how to go from home to his test location by public transportation (very far away, but he had the location address before to book); The day of the test, he fell asleep and we had to wake him up, also, the last day was his birthday, so we had for him a small birthday cake and we made a special breakfast. As soon as he arrived at his home, he texts me to my cell phone telling me how great was his experience and he wishes to come back to our place, he was with some friends just telling them how amazing we were with him.... However, he gave us 4 stars in every category (except cleaning) and 4 stars overall as well. His review says that when he arrived at home he felt awkward (we have lock box because we work full time), but he closes his review like this; "On the 21st, day of my check out I received a birthday card and a cupcake on the breakfast table. My heart just melted. I'm sure I'm gonna be back here if in the future I have to revisit Calgary again. This place is awesome!!!!"
I asked him, why the low rating; his answer: 4 in communication because I didn't give him my phone number since the beginning so it was really hard for him to finish the booking process. 4 in location, because our place was too far away to his test and in overall, it was great but not 5 stars.
I told him that he wasn't welcome anymore to come back to my place and I wished him good luck finding a 5 stars Airbnb, under his criteria with his budget... The worst part was that he not just he affected my overall rating for months but that he really made me upset after I take so much care of him.
The moral of this story is; most of the newbies, especially the youngest, need education and sensibilization, they don't understand the cost of a house (and that some cities are more expensive than others) and the effort that you put to have everything perfect for them, and accepting the house rules will help but just a little.

@Dained-and-Guillermo0 im an old man (65) I fondly recall a more analog adolescence.

good post with a lot of info about today's generation.

Mary65
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

I've had similar experiences! One couple came for their 40th anniversary. I made it so special, special treats specifically for 40 years, special handwritten card, and so on. They left me 4 stars because I don't have a patio door from the kitchen to the backyard. 

unbelievable!, they even don't watch the pictures