Advice on "the extras" that go missing....and Candles!

Advice on "the extras" that go missing....and Candles!

Fellow hosts,

If you provide "forgot something" baskets for guests to use, I would love your advice!

It seems that items in these baskets for guests to "use during their stay" go missing very quickly. I've had spray deodorant, face wash and industrial sized shampoo and conditioner (from all 3 washrooms) go missing immediately after stocking.

I figured that it was common sense that these items are to use during your stay and  not pack up with you since it's not a hotel! It's also noted in my guest book.

I understand that this may happen as its part of the game....but...do I need to literally say that items are not to take home?! Any tips on how I can improve would be helpful!

Also, our timer frame ski chalet is a candle free home as homes have burnt down on the ski hill from candles (actually!)...This winter and summer, I've often found candles left behind and guests swapped battery powered candles for real ones...I'm not trying to be overkill with signage as guest typically don't read them or the notes in the welcome book. What works for you in your home? I'm thinking of putting up a sign that says "no fire hazards" (candles, sparklers)...I found a pack of sparklers too....

Thanks for sharing any tips you may have!

Angie

6 Replies 6
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Angie813 

I rent rooms, I like you don't allow candles because even I have gone to bed forgetting to put out.

Hasn't been an issue for me and I haven't had an issue with ny shampoo walking away.

So for me, I would consider instead of nore signs are you unintentionally creating the atmosphere,

Maybe if you say no candles but put out battery ones, people weren't thinking of candles until they didn't like the battery one.  Maybe try removing those so Guests know no candles

Sometimes people light candles because they want a scent.  Amazon has diffusers that aren't too expensive and provide a few scents, cheaper than a fire,

When it cones to toiletries.  If I am thinking like a Guest , my thoughts are just if I am renting a place exclusively, my thought is after I use something you just throw away and give the next Guest new stuff.  I would try Amazon again get smaller plastic bottles that you can fill with the larger bottle but cheaper if it walks off.

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Angie813 

You have to make the things that you don't want them to take look more permanent. Buy uniform glass bottles with squirters for each bathroom and fill them with shampoo, conditioner, foam  bath, sunscreen, etc. Label them with a label maker or ask a print shop to help you print labels or tags. Guests won't steal your bottles. 

@Shelley159 @Marie8425 

Thank you for the insight!

I will look into getting alternative bottles for my baskets and label them😊

@Angie813 

My husband did this for me to aide my hand disability but actually looks nice and I thought idea.  He bought just a small towel rack that used adhesive to attach.  He attached it right on  the bath wall and 2 inch bottles fit snugly.  He refills the bottles for me and they have a pumps so I justó pump.  Maybe more fixated not handled might make less tempting.  Cute glass bottles might be desirable.  haha

Hi @Angie813 ,

Our supplies sometimes walk off too. It's certainly annoying. Here's how we handle:

- we keep aluminum refillable bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand wash. These are labeled with our name and logo. Our Welcome Guide has a statement that "supplies are for guest use but not to be taken and to please leave for next guest and owner". If you don't already, add a little printed sign, "Please leave any unused supplies for next guest". When our aluminum bottles go missing I have gotten them returned by asking. Sometimes guests just pack up everything without really thinking and sometimes they take stuff. Both happen.

- candles - if you don't already, add a statement in your "House Rules" section about 'no burning candles, no sparklers' and that way if you find evidence of damage due to candles/sparklers it makes it much easier to make a claim. Common sense isn't so common.  It's the guests of the guest that are often completely clueless and don't have access to your listing info (so something in the space is the only way to communicate to them)

- totally agree about signs - it's amazing how little guests pay attention to. Posted signs, emails, guide books, listing details. The best you can do is to keep at it. Our current guest got stuck outside because they hadn't read any of the info on how to get into the home. Their method was to just call. We have really nice instructions in our listing, it was emailed in the body of an email, in the message board, and it is made up as a PDF. Not a single method got thru. Go figure!

Good luck and wishing you much success,

Thanks for the tips @Greystone0 

I'm going to make a couple more signs and see how it goes. Thanks for the tips😄