Boiling milk in a kettle

Answered!
Darren402
Level 3
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom

Boiling milk in a kettle

Hi All,

A slightly odd one: I have had a few guests use the kettle in my room to boil milk. It leaves any subsequently boiled water tasting of burnt milk and stains the inside of the kettle. Manufacturer instructions state that kettles should only be used for water, which I thought was obvious. I can envisage it damaging the kettle, although thus far I have eventually managed to clean up the residue. I was thinking of putting a note in the house rules, and maybe a label on the kettle. Any experience/advice on combatting the issue would be most gratefully received. Thanks.

Top Answer
Marisa182
Level 8
University Park, MD

@Darren402  It is impossible to anticipate what a quest will do, but a label right on the kettle may catch their eye. I guess you allow cooking, so why not provide a small sauce pan, and have a label on the kettle that it is for water only. When I get a booking I always ask guests to please read my listing and house rules, and I believe most do, but still, I have had my washer and dryer used, and door to the apartment left unlocked. Two things I do not allow, and mentioned in the listing. Best of luck with the new kettle!

View Top Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Darren402 A label would be great (as nobody reads the houserules).

Thanks for the suggestion - I will make a label immediately now for our kettle!

Bronwyn100
Level 10
Hardys Bay, Australia

@Darren402 Never heard of anyone boiling milk in a kettle but cheap fix. Supply a milk frother. 

Marisa182
Level 8
University Park, MD

@Darren402  It is impossible to anticipate what a quest will do, but a label right on the kettle may catch their eye. I guess you allow cooking, so why not provide a small sauce pan, and have a label on the kettle that it is for water only. When I get a booking I always ask guests to please read my listing and house rules, and I believe most do, but still, I have had my washer and dryer used, and door to the apartment left unlocked. Two things I do not allow, and mentioned in the listing. Best of luck with the new kettle!