Cleaning expectations from guests at check-out

Hanna2832
Level 1
Paris, France

Cleaning expectations from guests at check-out

I am both a host and a guest and I wanted to have your views on my last trip. This was a listing that did not charge a cleaing fee, but they did request a "cleaning deposit" in cash at check in which they will give back if the apartment is cleaned at check out to the level that it is ready for the next guests (i.e, washing the floors, cleaning the toilet, kitchen and bathroom). The listing does state in its description that they required such cleaning deposit, but I only discovered the standard they require at check in.

Myself I do not charge cleaning fee from guests and my expectation is that guests tidy up but the cleaning between guests is my responsability and it is embodied in the nightly rate.

I did clean the apartment as requsted and received back the cleaning deposit. However, I wonder if charging extra charges outside the platform is normal and if the standard of cleaning is actually the expectation when no cleaning fee is charged by hosts.

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Hanna2832 Sorry but that is ridiculous. The host should be removed from the platform. Guests should, in my opinion, be required to leave the place in reasonable condition but that does not mean they should do the cleaning themselves unless it is made VERY clear in the listing description as well as in the rules.

Also don't forget we are all still signed up to the Covid cleaning protocols which cannot be met by hosts doing what they asked of you.

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Hanna2832 

Cleaning is the responsibility of the host. I can understand why you were quite surprised by that host's point of view. Here are the guidelines:

Listing cleanliness

All listings should be clean and free of health hazards before guest check-in.

• Health and safety: Listings should be free of health hazards (mold, pests, etc.).
  • Cleanliness: Hosts should provide listings that meet a high standard of cleanliness (free of extensive dust, pet dander, dirty dishes, etc.).
  • Guest turnover: Hosts should be sure to clean between every stay (do laundry, take out trash, vacuum/sweep, wipe down surfaces, etc.).
Maggie633
Level 2
Laguna Beach, CA

Hi!

I charge an additional cleaning fee when reservations are made. And it is stipulated as “cleaning fee”.

I have a cleaning service which meets MY standards. They also take care of the beddings and towels. 

I cannot entrust my guests to clean because everyone has their own standards of “clean” and most likely it won’t meet mine.   

By cleaning to MY standards I know what I am offering my guests and would expect nothing less as a guest myself.  

Collecting money outside of the platform is against Airbnb policy. 
hope this was helpful. 
Maggie 😊

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Hanna2832, thank you for posting this in our community.

Some of our Hosts have shared their opinions; please let us know when you have a chance to read them. We would love to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad