Emergency home repair/water leak from a shower.

Answered!
Vicki592
Level 2
Mercer Island, WA

Emergency home repair/water leak from a shower.

My first guests' increased demands revealed that I have a leak in my shower. To prevent house damage I want to get it fixed as soon as possible.  Because this involves tile work, the repair will require 4 to 5 days.

We did a temporary fix for the guests in my house now. They will leave Aug 8th  and the next guest is scheduled to arrive Aug 10th.

The prudent thing to do as a homeowner is to cancel the next reservation and invest that time doing the repair.  However, I know this will inconvenience the family I'm about to host.

Do you have recommendations about how to handle this situation?

Thank you,

Vicki

1 Best Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Vicki592 Vicki this is your cancellation and its better to speak to the guest directly. The guests may be happy to change their reservation to another time. Ask that first, also offer a discount on the future booking to alleviate the inconvenience that this will cause. Also look in your area for other accommodation un booked for the same time which they maybe able to take up if they only have this holiday time. Remember it is your cancellation and for them to have their funds back it is up to you to be helpful ,cancel ,after speaking with them if they cannot move times and be polite and apologetic and helpful... H

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Vicki592 Vicki this is your cancellation and its better to speak to the guest directly. The guests may be happy to change their reservation to another time. Ask that first, also offer a discount on the future booking to alleviate the inconvenience that this will cause. Also look in your area for other accommodation un booked for the same time which they maybe able to take up if they only have this holiday time. Remember it is your cancellation and for them to have their funds back it is up to you to be helpful ,cancel ,after speaking with them if they cannot move times and be polite and apologetic and helpful... H

Thank you, Helen. Wise words.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Vicki592 I would use a large amount of silicone and apologise for how it looks. If you have a family coming in high season they really will not want their holiday ruining.

That's what we have done for this guest! thank you.

@Vicki592

Communicate promptly with the upcoming guests about the shower issue. Apologize, explain the necessity of repairs, offer alternatives or refunds, and prioritize safety. Contact Airbnb support if needed.

**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines ]