Home Automation for Airbnb hosts (Home Assist, custom solutions) #Domotics #HomeAutomation

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Home Automation for Airbnb hosts (Home Assist, custom solutions) #Domotics #HomeAutomation

Hello, everyone!

Are you using technology to help you automate some parts of hosting on Airbnb? Can you share your experiences, best practices? What works and what doesn't?

I'm all ears! 😉

What is Home Automation?

Wherever you go, there you are.
80 Replies 80

Yes, we have the subscription for the Nest cameras. We also have Arlo cameras for outdoors. They are battery powered and are completely wireless. There is no charge for recording (up to 10 days I think) and you can subscribe to longer recordings if desired. We had a bad batch of batteries (from Amazon) and the Arlo only lasted a week or two so on them. The ones we got from Home Depot seem to be lasting much longer.

The Nest smoke detectors also have a motion activated night-light on them. There is one between the guest room and bath, so if they get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, even if the hallway light is not on, the night light will turn on to light the way. The light also comes on at full brightness if smoke is detected to help get people to the exits.

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Ed-and-Hugh0@Lizzie@Tina1@Maria-Lurdes0@Noah0,

Do you have #Nest #cameras inside and #Arlo #cameras outside, that are recording while the guests are in your home? How do you handle this in notifying guests that they are being recorded or surveilled? I am considering industrial grade smart cameras that can detect missing objects, #facial #recognition, etc. The real issue here is, where does it end? Am I allowed to have #surveillance #cameras on when Airbnb guests are in my home? What does US law say about this aside #Airbnb #Policy, EU law is rather protective of guests of course.

Wireless-Home-Security-Camera1.jpg

The night lights are a good idea. I'll be looking into this more deeply because there are also #smart #bulbs with motion detection for the bathroom or loo etc. Lights that turn on and off automatically are a great idea, because we all, guests included, forget to turn off lights when going out or going to sleep. My #LIFX lights are connected to smoke detectors and light up showing the emergency exit already. However, no night lights yet 😉

Links to brands, products mentioned in this post:

Nest https://nest.com/

Arlo http://arlo.com/en-us/

Lifx http://www.lifx.com/

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Ed-and-Hugh0@Tina1@Maria-Lurdes0@Lizzie@Noah0,

Considering the technology aspect of automation, I thought you might find this new thread on software, apps, tools interesting as well.

Here or https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Software-apps-and-other-helpful-tools-software-apps-host...

Cheers!

Mary31
Level 2
Galveston, TX

I am using August Locks, but it is very difficult for people to download and set up. I thought it was integrated into airbnb, if it is, I am not seeing it.

With the wifi device, I can unlock the door when they arrive, and leave a physical key,  but that sort of defeats the purpose.

If anyone else has any solution, I'm listening...

@Mary31, I know this is a old posting, but I was wondering if the August Lock/AirBnB integration has improved for you.

We have 2 August locks, and I like how it automatically sends a key to the guest. I know it is a lot of work on the guest to set things up (and many just end up using the keypad). How has it been for you since?

no, it has not really improved. I give a phyisical key 80-90% of the time. I did install a keypad and that help a little. 

We have used keypad locks like Yale and Schlage which our guests find easy to use. You can still control it remotely. We have used Virtualkey (http://www.virtualkey.co/) to manage lock automation

Brittany1
Level 10
Chicago, IL

We have three apartments and all three are completely automated. We have nests in each unit that are locked with a minimum and maximum temperature. And he have keypads on our gate and on the door to each apartment. We have met only a few out of the several hundred guests we have hosted and it seems guests appreciate their autonomy and privacy.

Can't imagine having to meet each guest for key drop off and pick up.

The only thing that isnt automated is the cleaning and laundry (wish I had a robot for that). I do it myself and it's a full time job.

Brittany - What lock do you use ? Especially keypad outside. Do you have static code or auto generate the codes for each guest. Thanks

The level of automation definitely depends on how much effort you want to put in & (now adays) one's technological savvy.

In the realm of Smart locks, you could choose a software company like VirtualKEY (virtualkey.co) that integrates with multiple locks and works with airbnb (as well as other travel sites) to automatically send Guests access valid only for their specific reservation. They will even supply you with the Smart lock!

Being a software company, they can focus all their efforts on making the Host's life easier. Broad integrations with locks, travel sites, cleaners, & easier key transfers to friends, neighbors, baby sitters, or dog walkers. Even making the app more intuitive for older guests.

If you want to be very "active" and are comfortable balancing reservation calendars, sending access codes, and have more tech inclined guests, there are definitely more options out there. It all depends on what you want to do & how your guests respond.

Hi Guys,

i've recently installed Wink Relay to join my home automation arsenal and i think this one is really nice as it helps the guess control the home in a very easy way. - http://www.wink.com/products/wink-relay-touchscreen-controller/

it was a great oppertunity as they recently dropped the price from $299 to $99, you can even get two of them for $149!!

if you got two, you automatically get the Intercom feature which is really cool.

It saves me for leaving a mobile device at home as it can be lost, go out of battery, etc..

It currently connects with my hue/cree lights and Nest thermostat, and soon once it's gonna be available it's gonna control my shades (waiting for Axis Gear to be released)

Wink are giving this product a push by adding widgets to it, currently they release an Uber integration - one click and it orders Uber for you, and also Fitbit and IFTTT.

i'm sure we will see more in the future, that's only the begining.

i also programmed it to have a persontal touch to my guests, you can define shourtcuts and one of them can have the "Welcome" logo so what i usually do is write the guest name as the name of the shourtcut!

anyone else got expirience with the Wink Relay?

We use a wink hub in each location and Schlage locks.   We program the lock with a dedicated code for each guest and remove it after their stay.  This is easy through the wink interface.

We also have some dedicated outlets and light switches and amazon alexa products that allow guests to turn on the lights, or play music or games.   Alexa and wink work well together.  

Mitchell3
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Anybody using security options like ScoutAlarm.com when guests are staying? 

If so, how much is this communicated to the guests if at all?

Thank you,

Mitch

James123
Level 2
Canberra, Australia

I have a question about HostAssist - am I limited to only those apps/products listed under my dashboard? For example, in Australia I have only three: Properly, igloohome and Master Locks. Does that mean I can't use any other product except for those if I want integration with my Airbnb account?

e.g. I'm interested in the Lockstate wifi door lock. But it's a US product... will Airbnb just not let me connect it to my account?

I have lockstate and have integrated it. While I'm in the us I don't see anything region specific and I know there was at least a reseller working in Europe who monitors these forums.

See this thread and reach out to Stuart he should be able to to answer your questions. https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/remote-lock/m-p/20112#M4946

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ