Hosting Amenities: Looking back at the early years

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hosting Amenities: Looking back at the early years

Recycling (2).jpg

Hi Everyone,

Do you remember what amenities you offered your guests from the beginning since you started out Hosting?

Maybe you've been offering a certain type of coffee or snack since day one or the little details, like free Wi-Fi, towels, shuttle service, parking etc. 

For many Hosts, the amenities they provide may have changed over time, but it's always interesting to reflect on the essentials that you offered when you first started out. 

Have you seen an increase in the number of unique amenities you started offering since then? Let's take a walk down memory lane and think back to the early days of hosting on Airbnb. We can't wait to hear your stories and see how far you've all come.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

27 Replies 27
Bob1240
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Eileen,

You seem to have had many fussy - not to say rude - guests.

When I lived at my property and offered breakfast - cerals, toast, marmalade, fruit etc, guests were always appreciative. Now I live elsewhere and only do short term lets so breakfast is not included but I still try to ensure that there is tea and coffee available.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Bob1240 ,

Good to hear that the guests appreciated your efforts.

Did you ever have guests who requested a specific type of tea or coffee, or have they generally been happy with what you provide? 

-----

I offer a whole selection of different teas and usually also have plain tea. One guest really wanted plain tea, but I was out and she acted like I was too uppity to offer plain tea. Of course, I said nothing, but thought she was too uppity to suffer with one of the other teas. Oh well. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Ah @SueEllen0, that's a bummer! But I am sure, many other guests would surely be appreciating your gesture.

Out of all the varie-teas (pun intended😆) you offer, which is the most popular one amongst your guests? 

-----

There isn’t one that stands out but the Chai teas (masala) seem popular. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Eileen0 ,

It seems you had many interesting experiences from the time you provided those amenities! I see a lot of thought put behind each and every amenity you mentioned.

Sad to hear that the guests weren't able to enjoy those amenities due to health or other reasons.

But it is surely great to hear that letting go of those amenities has made your overall hosting experience a bit hassle-free and hasn't impacted you negatively! 

-----

Sue476
Level 2
Lookout Mountain, GA

I leave instant coffee for emergencies, and a small supply of tea, salt, sugar.  Things that don't spoil.  I am not a resort.  I have a home away from home you can stay in.  I also have external security cameras, so if anyone had a lot of guests or tried to take furniture, it would be recorded.  But, that has never happened.  Of course, there is wear and tear and occasional breakage.  That's a cost of doing business.

Sue476
Level 2
Lookout Mountain, GA

I have had parking, high speed internet, USB charging ports, kitchen supplies and at least enough coffee to get started, and tea. 

I have streaming cable channels, a DVD player, and lots of porch chairs.

Over time, I have painted and added a new roof.

What I have now that different is a computer table and floor light with a surge protecting plug,

more artwork on the walls, improved linens and mattresses. 

The house is also within walking distance of the city and most entertainment events. 

I have been very lucky to have wonderful people who enjoy the house in a quiet old neighborhood with birds and trees and Good Vibes.  I did change so that I accept dogs and occasionally cats.  I like people who own pets, and I found that more people need a place to stay with their pet than need to avoid them because of allergies.

I basically created a space where I would like to stay.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Sue476 ,

That sounds like a really great space you have created, and also put in a lot of consideration for accommodating guests with pets! 

It is so good to hear you say, you created a space where you would like to stay. Indeed meaningful!

Are there any specific incidents that inspired you to make these vast improvements to your listing? 

-----

Sue476
Level 2
Lookout Mountain, GA

I fell in love with the old neighborhood and I have a tendency to want to preserve history where possible.  The house was first built 100+ years ago!  It had been maintained, but I found things that needed upgrading.  I consider that a safety issue.  I hate to see such a wonderful place lose out to gentrifying.  Where I am (Chattanooga) also has enacted new rules that I think may mean eventually that businesses will try to expand into this area.  I might make it a pied a terre for me if it becomes too difficult to rent through Airbnb.  There are rules here that I can't stay there as long as it's a STVR.  Mostly, the grand lady needed to be appreciated.  Most of my guests have loved her, and that makes me feel SO happy.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Sue476 Woah! 100+ years!!! this is amazing.

I myself have a likeness towards places having some sort of history or significance, and am sure many guests would find such stories and listings amusing! But totally agree about upgrading them for safety concerns.

For many more best things and best guests to come 🥳, and I hope this saga continues!

-----

Sue476
Level 2
Lookout Mountain, GA

Those were things that evolved easily.  I love the area and want others to as well.  The house is old and needed fixing a bit, but I have very comfortable older furniture because I couldn't find anything as comfy in any store!  I use slip covers so they can be washed.  It has charm.

I have described my neighborhood as a quiet, older family neighborhood and suggested that people book who want that kind of space.  I gently and kindly expressed expectations, and it's worked pretty well for years now.    I send house rules and information about the city and recommendations for things to do in an email before check-in.  Friendly expectations.  I also have a 3 day minimum and 90 day maximum, but they can rebook for more if wanted.

Tracey537
Level 2
Whangārei, New Zealand

awe that’s exactly my thoughts to my new venture 😀