Leaving Beer/Wine for Guests

Bridget354
Level 2
Jacksonville, FL

Leaving Beer/Wine for Guests

Hello, Community!!

My first post here, I think it may be helpful if any hosts are 'on the fence' about leaving complimentary adult beverages for guests.

I am still less than one year hosting (and SO honored to already be Superhost with 5 Star rating and 20 guests!), so I'm discovering new ways to make my guests' stay as cozy and 'home away from home' as possible - it's a very small downtown Studio apartment so not a vacation spot, but rather a perfect location for sports events, concerts, conferences, etc. I have a guest staying now, who stated she was traveling to attend a conference - I looked up local conference events and found that this conference date/location was being held for Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). The guest is a professional, very communicative and just a wonderful guest - maybe she's a speaker, maybe she's an attendee, no matter.

I typically offer a few beers from one of our 9 craft breweries, or a bottle of wine  - but I'm glad that on this booking I by chance did not offer that. I would have felt awful to learn that I'd added to the every-day struggle that many people have with alcohol. What I will do moving forward is just mention the 7-11 shop just 5 blocks away, if any guests would like to purchase extras for their enjoyment.

Wanted to share this situation, I know it's a topic of mixed opinions. It's certainly not our responsibility to oversee our guests' choices, but it's a great feeling to make them feel like they're in a safe space while they're there 🙂

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bridget354 IN the UK it's an easy decision. It is illegal to supply alcohol (even when free) without a licence. Is it legal in the USA?

Hi, I'm not certain if there are laws against leaving a bottle of wine if the adult guests are verified. But I do see, when searching for Abnb as a guest, various photos of properties with a gift basket or wine rack that appears to be stocked. I believe that non-sale provision is not illegal. 

Great idea! 
I have had a local company from our state give me a bottle of their cider and local bake company provides cupcakes! 
it’s a small gesture but also advertising for their business! 
Try to stay away from anything with nuts in case of allergies! 

Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

I am also a superhost for less than a year, and I am happy to learn that there are more hosts like me who are very sensitive to the needs of their guests. If you are not sure about wine, than a fruit basket or chocolate always works. However, keep in mind that guests do not like rotten fruit that has no skin, such as apples. Guests almost always do not touch the delicious apples I buy. They do like all the fruits with a skin, such as bananas, mangoes, and pineapples.

Congratulations on your status! And yes, I have fount the same to be true with fruit...I now leave a couple of nice bananas and granola bars as well as individual small yogurts. So far, all have been eaten 😁

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Bridget354 I like your form of thinking for your guest and not offering an enticement.

1.  I personally don't leave alcohol my rationale is if they have an accident and they state I left alcohol am I to blame for insurance or Airbnb.

2.  What choice do you leave

wine  red or white sweet or dry. Beer light, larger. Stout, low alcohol,  low sugar, Cider sweet or dry.

There is too many choices. I don't go there to make my life simple and leave a food hamper instead .

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

In my country it would be legal to give alcohilic beverages to guests.

As we are living in a wine area, in the past we left a small bottle of local wine (0,25 litres) in the guest room.

However I stopped this a couple of years ago. I'm aware that that giving alcohol to guests could be a delicate issue, so today I think it's better not to do this any more.