Most reliable smart locks

Answered!
Renee468
Level 2
United States

Most reliable smart locks

Hi - I have tried a couple different smart locking systems.  I find that I have to reset in person way too often with both brands.  Ideally I would like something where I can create codes and lock and unlock remotely.  I don't need any other features.  I just want the most reliable system. Or a system where I can reset and troubleshoot from afar.  What brand is the most reliable in terms of stable connectivity? 

1 Best Answer

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I have used Schlage Keypad locks.  They have a battery and a "Keypad"/ non electronic.  The batteries last really long and we were happy with them until one broke a year in, and their warrantee is two years.  It was almost impossible to get service.  Nothing worked until I sent a message to Schlage on Instagram.  The replacement lock can't be programmed with a new code.  Once again I can't get Schlage on the phone.

So when going for "electronic programmable locks" we went with Yale.  Partly because of Schlage customer service, and partly because Yale helped me on the phone get the correct locks.  Some are for dead bolts, and some are for the actual hand knob.  When replacing a deadbolt, I wanted a "passage" lock for the actual door handle and latch.  I did not want a key.  That was easy to buy from Yale and I could not figure out how with Schlage.

One Yale lock as been in use for 4-5 months presently, through many guests.  Not a single  issue.  I program last four of their cell phone as a code.  Turn it on 8am day of their visit and turn it off 5pm of the last day.  I have another to install when long term tenant departs other unit.

IMG_1186.jpegIMG_1187.jpeg

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Renee468, This has been one of the most discussed topics in our Community Center, where hosts have been discussing different brands of smart locks. 

There are a few Hosts who discussed this topic in a few threads recently with some elaborate solutions about Smart Locks. I am also reaching out to them, if they may kindly share their experiences or references with you: @Margaret491 @Troy276 @Bronwyn100 @George1495

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I have used Schlage Keypad locks.  They have a battery and a "Keypad"/ non electronic.  The batteries last really long and we were happy with them until one broke a year in, and their warrantee is two years.  It was almost impossible to get service.  Nothing worked until I sent a message to Schlage on Instagram.  The replacement lock can't be programmed with a new code.  Once again I can't get Schlage on the phone.

So when going for "electronic programmable locks" we went with Yale.  Partly because of Schlage customer service, and partly because Yale helped me on the phone get the correct locks.  Some are for dead bolts, and some are for the actual hand knob.  When replacing a deadbolt, I wanted a "passage" lock for the actual door handle and latch.  I did not want a key.  That was easy to buy from Yale and I could not figure out how with Schlage.

One Yale lock as been in use for 4-5 months presently, through many guests.  Not a single  issue.  I program last four of their cell phone as a code.  Turn it on 8am day of their visit and turn it off 5pm of the last day.  I have another to install when long term tenant departs other unit.

IMG_1186.jpegIMG_1187.jpeg

Looks like a decent product George however have you looked at/considered the Nuki setup as there is no need to adapt the door or apply any kind of fixings into the door itself.

The product fits retrospectively over any euro cylinder and you can even retain key override for added safety.

The lock also has a better price point than the yale locks shown above.

If you want anymore info drop me a message.

Cheers 

Can you give the full name of the Yale lock you used? Or do all yale locks have the same capabilities?

Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Deanne62, as this was posted quite a while ago, many members may not have viewed this recently, so I just wanted to drop in and share a quick tip for navigating our community.

Always tag the member you're responding to. This ensures they get a notification of your message. You can do this by using the @ symbol and selecting the user from the drop-down menu 😊

Hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Margaret491
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Yes we can help @Renee468 what have you used previously and we can give some pointers.

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States