No WiFi

Robert8316
Level 2
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

No WiFi

We have not installed WiFi in our remote home due to poor service provider options.  Thinking of offer a WiFi hotspot to guests.  What are others doing?

10 Replies 10
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome to the Community Center @Robert8316!

If I am not mistaken @Kitty-and-Creek0 are also remote. Perhaps they can provide some tips on this. (@Kitty-and-Creek0, I hope it's ok that I tagged you on this topic 😊)

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy Thanks for tagging us! Remote residents talk endlessly about these things - power, roads, firebreaks, water, wildlife, internet and cell service!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

No problem at all @Kitty-and-Creek0! I wasn't entirely sure, but thanks for confirming 😊 Also, I hope you are doing well @Kitty-and-Creek0

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi @Kitty-and-Creek0.  Is there a specific discussion group for remote hosts?

@Robert8316 

Good question! 

There doesn't seem to be - we just find each other here around certain topics. The Managers know us, they tend to tag us, and most of us are pretty active here. Community is our middle name when we are remote, and this is a superlative Community! 

As regards to your excellent question about wifi for us and our guests, we have broadband from a tower, line of sight across the valley, on another mountaintop. They serve much of  the ranching community here. These locals also provide mobile service during road work, quakes, fires and other emergencies. They are totally on top of things 24/7.  The 12 miles line of sight is easy. A repeater is only needed at 35 miles to compensate for the curvature of the Earth. We had Starband satellite service for a few years after a long time on dial up. In the early 90's we had a powerful bag phone and an optiphone which is another very cool gizmo used on offshore & desert drilling rigs, islands, some highways, and  many other "impossible" locations.  It is a scrambled/unscrambled radio signal akin to what the emergency services use. It was a giant step up from the HAM set in use here previously. We still keep our satellite phone as we are in the first responder and fire lookout position up here. I so love tech and all our options! My grandparents born in the 1880's were fascinated by tech in their lifetimes, too. Such an era to be alive, isn't it?

Our cellular folks offer a 5G hotspot for $50 a month, we've not needed it, as our 5G cell service from them is so sweet. We can run everything on our phones if we want/need to. Northern California mountainous regions are terrific testing grounds for tech innovations. Many people here use starlink if they have an open area, or their cell service hotspot if they don't. My friend did her Masters remotely on her Verizon cell's hotspot...I love it!

May you find this business decision easy, with a lot of options.  - or may you love being like our  neighbor to the north  @Deborah1201 in gorgeous Willow Creek. We find that - like her - offering an unplugged option is a plus for many people who just want to savor the quiet, contemplative getaway. Being off grid is something people love to learn about as well. 

Do please stay in the loop with us! 

Lori-And-Mike3
Level 1
Jersey Village, TX

No  internet on our hilltop. We installed satellite Internet through Viasat. Works great!

Francesco2374
Level 1
Munich, Germany

We are using EOLO or Starlink in Italy. Both works great!

Deborah1201
Level 2
Willow Creek, CA

It would be very expensive for us to add wifi, so we advertise to "get away from it all,, enjoy boardgames and family time". we have had quite a few guests write they appreciated getting the kids off the internet and enjoyed playing wiffle ball with then etc.   You are doing families a favor.

Hi @Deborah1201 

Do you have cell service at your location?  If so, have you considered offering a WiFi hotspot to your guest like from these guys (www.rentnconnect.com )? 

@Robert8316 starlink is going to work much better than a hotspot. The upload rate for quests that are potentially working remotely or have more than one person online at a time will be more reliable. Depending on which one you get you can even take it remotely with you in a car so you could offer your guests internet on the go as an upsell.