Question on bedroom use

Rhonda301
Level 10
Ashland City, TN

Question on bedroom use

Hi we host a two master bedrooms 122 farmhouse all updated.  When we get a couple, the  house holds 4 adults,  we expect them to use only one bedroom. We ask for preference letting them chose which en-suite but is it unreasonable to expect them not to use both bedrooms?  

the current guest told us she changed her mind after one night and used the upstairs.  Both have identical mattresses both are charming but I wondered if it’s reasonable to expect guests to not changed bedrooms. Are we wrong?  She said it was becasue of the windows but there are fully lined curtains in that room and we are so rural no one can see inside any of the rooms we have 15 acres surrounding us plus each farm around us has enough trees we cannot see their properties

is it a bad idea to lock off the bedroom not chosen?. We have ample photos to represent the amenities of each.  I wonder if they didn’t have other guests to stay undisclosed. 

46 Replies 46

@Rhonda301   The guests are entitled to use all of the facilities that are advertised in the listing - all of the bedrooms, and all of the beds. Otherwise, they have grounds for a refund.

If you'd like to be able to lock off one of the rooms and accommodate solos/couples for a lower rate, you'll have to create a second listing advertised as a 1-bedroom farmhouse and link the calendars.

Hi thanks for this response and information it’s good to know. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Rhonda301   Two people renting does not always mean couples.  We have a two bedroom cabin, and 50% of the time both bedrooms are used when we have 2 guests.  

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Hi @Rhonda301 

When my husband and I travel we often book a 2 bedroom, due to one of us snores and keeps the other awake! So, we are happy to book and pay for a larger place. It would be best to ask people if they want a discount to only use one bedroom. We price our place for 2, and charge $10 extra for the third person, who would have to sleep in the living room on the couch or a mat. We have had plenty of guests how were not couples, but we did not charge extra for them using the extra bedding in the living room.

Ted & Chris
Hal3292
Level 9
Bluefield, WV

@Rhonda301 @Anonymous This question is so interesting to me because I just spent time on the phone for the past two days with ABB over a similar dilemma. After a couple of days of research, ABB Support got back to me with exactly the same answer that Andrew gave above! I'm planning to put up a new listing soon that will have two bedrooms. But I want the option to lock one of the bedrooms (both bedrooms will have keypad locks) so that the price will be lower for someone who needs a smaller place. Having the less-pricey option will make me more competitive in my market. So I really  hope the calendar-linking feature is easy to use. I definitely don't want to have to change linens on two beds if the guest uses only one, and I would feel duty-bound to launder everything even if one of the beds "looked" unused... Absolutely a guest has the right to use all of the rooms and furniture described in the listing if they're paying the price.

@Hal3292 Just a reminder you might check if "install a lock in the internal room" is a code violation. Different county might have different rule, but it could be a code violation because of the safety issue. For example, if people lock the door and there is a fire, the fireman can not get in quickly. It could be OK in your county, but better check that out.

@Hal3292 wrote:

if they're paying the price.

this is the part that is important. I have a 3 bedroom cottage, our base rate is for 2, on the assumption of 2 people to one room. why do people assume that if they are paying for 2 people they can use 2, or even 3 (it's happened) beds??  

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Rhonda301 Married couples do not always sleep together ,someone may snore or any number of reasons . I have a three bedroom house and if two people turn up I will ask that they choose two rooms and leave the third untouched. the thing is that their is a crossover of guests from hotels to Airbnb who book simply for the right to use more than one bedroom . Dont assume things about any couple . two people two beds . Adjust your prices so that any extra guest is charged after the first guest . I think I will do this too. then those couples can sleep in all the beds within reason ,like cinderella and be comfortable . This really is a bugbear among older travelling couples Thanks Good topic . My son was all for not making the beds at all or locking the doors but you cannot lock the separate bedrooms so we dont do it but if it continues then they are certainly getting better value than a motel/hotel where they pay per bed. I think the idea of having a whole house does not immediately gell with these crossover guests. H

She booked it saying she and her husband wanted a romantic weekend I asked if they needed two bedrooms. She said no I asked which of the two she told me. She swapped it up on me and the upstairs had been deep cleaned but the linens etc were not available since she said she did t need two rooms.  I don’t make assumptions I ask up front so I can get the property ready.

@Rhonda I was not saying you made assumptions at all. I was talking about this issue more generally . It bugs me too.I have couples staying who use three bedrooms and then complain about the mattress. They are all the same. So now if there are two I ask them to choose two bedrooms only and leave the third. They generally use the two furtherest away from the road and shut the door on the other.This is also a way to deter those who expect to smuggle extra guests ,and we mention for" MR one guest" in a three bed house that he may find other accomodation elsewhere for only one guest . Then there are the man wife and three kids who book for two people and then when you ask why they are travelling mention the children . Then we politely ask for then to accept an updated booking with everyone on it. Of course solo travellers sometimes book a house alone or blow me down couples sleep together. If there was no linen on the other bed then how could they sleep in it Rhonda? H

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

To be honest, I don't really understand the logic that a couple must sleep in the same bed. Did you ever consider that a couple filtered for a 2 bedroom listings because they wanted to rent a home with two bedrooms? Whatever the reason is none of a host's business. They are paying for two bedrooms. Give them two bedrooms.

@Emilia42 in fact they are generally not paying for two bedrooms . Thats the point . They are a bit like the 'free infants. If like me you have a three bedroom and two people book then they can use two bedrooms its just the host has made an assumption that a couple will use only one bedroom . This is because three queen beds can accomodate six people . Most people do realise that the six people must share the beds. Some couples take advantage of this and book this accomodation which would normally have four guests for two . Therefore from a host point of view increasing the workload for less income. I understand completely and from now on am going to charge per guest . It is the same for two solo travellers booking a three bed house they can theororetically use three bedrooms except I ask them not to. But the solution is charge per guest. It is a loophole and guests , those innocent guests have found it . H

Thank you that is my point.  And for the record the women bikes and said her and her husband needed a break together. I asked them to chose the bedroom and she did.  After the entire weekend went by she told me oh by the way we switched bedrooms up. I cannot tell if they used the room downstairs so I am forced to clean both up. I don’t charge extra for a couple but if it’s two separate guests using two bedrooms I would.  I cannot have children or infants due to the set up of the house itself. It’s not suitable for children. I do charge more for the third guest I limit the listing for 4 adults due to the old staircase. It has a railing but still isn’t suitable for the littles. It’s in my house rules too.  I spoke to a super host via chat and he told me he allowed more guests but he charged per guest and told me my area it would be more than his area and he did it due to the extra work involved. Both master bedrooms have their own bathroom they did only use the one bathroom just raided the extra bath room for towels which is fine.  Also if they had asked or communicated with me about wanting to switch before they switch I would have been ok with it. 

thank you for your point of view. 

@Helen744   If you book a three-bedroom home, you are literally paying for three bedrooms. If the host has priced incorrectly because they "made an assumption," that is not the guest's problem.

This is nothing at all like the "free infants" policy. Airbnb never gave hosts a say in the matter about whether people who failed at birth control could squeeze up to 5 of their spawn into your house. But you're not being "taken advantage of" when a group of adults uses all the features that are explicitly offered in your listing.