Removing garbage from the home at check out

Susan5889
Level 1
Valhalla, NY

Removing garbage from the home at check out

Hello. We are in an area of the Catskills where there is nowhere for guests to deposit their garbage. They are required to take it home.

Now we know many don't want to do that. We don't live nearby so we can't come and take it away. What do others do? Do you pay a service to come take the garbage away? 

Thank you!

9 Replies 9
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Susan5889

If you don't live nearby then  you must have a cleaning  company that preps for next guest.   Can  you  ask them to adjust their fee to include and then that is the cleaning fee of the unit.   Seems a better answer then expecting guest to do, guest  doesn't do and you have to solve long distance.

Yes, that is a good idea. I will look into that.

Also- We have to get a better washer/dryer so the cleaners can do that for us and we don't have to come back.

Do you have your cleaners do the wash for each new guest visit?

@Susan5889

When I had outside cleaners.

I listed everything I needed done including laundry, vacuuming trash etc.

I don't like to  actively manage people's hours just not my style.

I would determine in my head average time to clean, usually about 3 or 4 hours..  Then I would determine what I thought was a fair hourly rate.  I take in pluses to the  cleaning company  steady work and such.

I also take into consideration I am hiring someone with cleaning skills but  because I am not present I want someone who   has some management skills also making sure work is done when needed, if there is something I need to handle I am informed, things like that and I determine an hourly rate.  

Then when I am  talking to  the cleansers, like I say I am  a brain picker, so I present my list but ask for any input of things I  didn't think of.

Then I will  discuss my thoughts   of length of time to  do list.

When wee are both in agreement, then I ask  my cleaner to give me a set price per turnover..  My idea of price is just something in  my head  that I use to review if their proposed price is in the range..Too low is not always a bargain  sometimes it is because expectations don't match, too  high I review  am I thinking too low or do  two other companies price where I am  thinking.

As to putting in a washer and dryer in the unit, yes that is a big plus but again don't  try and solve the problem   before you discus with who is actually doing the work.

In Hawaii, an island, so things like  installing aa big  appliance  attaching to city water  is not always a  matter of just go buy  a washer.  A cabin in  the woods probably  requieres some thought s and funds. Usually we found  the cleaners  could take the linens home wash them  and make the beds next day   We had o pay extra and could not offer same day turn arounds but some owners put in laundry some never did

Thank you, Marie. I see what you mean and would like to have a manger handle things. Will look into it and also look into costs of washer/dryer. It has to be all worth it!

@Susan5889 

What I did with the one's in Hawaii we consider far haha, is sort of aaaaa readiness manager, but I did the business management.   So I contract with 1 company to take care of laundry, trash, and cleaning, and then I only have to manage 1 company performance.

I handled the customer aspects.  They didn't deal with my customers.     It is just recognizing if you can't randomly check then you probably want to hire someone who has a cleaning reputation not someone who is just trying too earn extra money and thinks cleaning is easy.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Susan5889   We do not have trash service either.  Guests are asked to secure their trash in the containers we provide and then our yard maintenance handyman removes the trash after each and every guest departure.  We pay him for his time and mileage to the dump ($25).

Thank you, Lorna. I like your idea but we have to look into getting trash containers that are BEAR proof! Otherwise, I may look into having the cleaners handle the trash and pay them extra. I really appreciate your help. 

@Susan5889  I would think a combination of getting bear proof containers....beause you don't want smouldering trash inside the house for any amount of time or outside trash that will attract animals and pests.....and then paying either the cleaners or someone else to remove the trash after each guest.  

Jonathan2534
Level 4
New York, NY

Hi @Susan5889 ,

As others have said I'd ask your cleaning people to remove the garbage. If I stayed for a week I would not be happy if I had to take all the garbage with me.

Regarding the sheets question, I have my cleaner was the sheets each time, we have two sets for each bed.