Self check in

Christina1803
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Self check in

I just bought a lockbox for self check in....is that appropriate? I am not totally tech savvy so thought that was best. How can I make sure guests will not forget to put key back in lockbox after leaving???

Is anyone using a ring?

12 Replies 12
Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

@Christina1803 You could have the guests take a photo of the key in the lockbox, when they leave as part of their check out- to get their deposit returned. 

That is a great suggestion,thank you so much!

Jennifer3187
Level 3
East Longmeadow, MA

Hi @Christina1803 ! A lockbox can come with challenges of a lost key. One thought would be you could indicate that there will be a charge of $X in the event a key is lost. This could help decrease the likelihood that a guest does not return it.

Personally, I prefer the smart lock. You mention not being tech savvy but honestly it is so easy to program. You can also automate it so that the lock is programmed for each guest. We have a Yale smart lock and it has been great. 

Good luck!

Jenn

Thank you @Jennifer3187 . Icheck into the Yale smart lock also.Yes worried the key be lost.

Hi @Christina1803,

Hope you are doing well! I hope my recommendations will help you. Using a lockbox for self-check-in at your Airbnb is a great idea. It offers convenience for both you and your guests, as they can check in at their leisure without the need for you to be physically present. Just make sure that you provide clear and well-disclosed instructions in picking up and dropping off the keys. Here're a few I can suggest:

1. Clear Instructions: Provide detailed instructions on how to use the lockbox, both in your Airbnb listing and in a welcome message or email. Include pictures or a short video tutorial if possible.

2. Reminder Notes: Place reminder notes in strategic locations within the property, such as on the back of the front door or near the keys, reminding guests to return the keys to the lockbox upon checkout.

3. Check-Out Instructions: In your check-out instructions, whether in a physical guestbook or in an electronic message, explicitly remind guests to return the keys to the lockbox.

4. Backup Plan: Have a backup plan in case the keys are not returned. This could include having spare keys or the ability to remotely unlock the door if you decide to upgrade to a smart lock in the future.

5. Ring/CCTV camera placed in a direction where the lockbox is located. Friendly note on this, make sure you disclose where the CCTV camera is located as part of complying with Airbnb's privacy policy and only place it in a common area. 

Have a great day! 

Thank you for your detailed suggestions,this will be very helpful.

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Christina1803 
a lock box is a great low-tech solution when you can't welcome the guests yourself.
Make several copies of the keys, because they will get lost.

Also, hide a key outside of the house, just in case the guest gets locked out. They can call you, and you can provide them with the location.

Great idea,I will hide a few ......just in case

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hi Christina

We've been using lockboxes for nine years with very few issues.

If possible, it's a good idea to have a second one in a discreet location. This can be used if the guest loses the keys.

Also, sometimes guests post the keys through the letterbox rather than returning them to the lockbox. So the  back-up set is useful if you have a cleaner arriving that needs to retrieve the keys for access.

Thank you for your suggestions,I appreciate every piece of advice to make this easy on my guests and myself.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Christina1803 ! Welcome to our lovely Community!

It seems like you have received some really amazing pieces of advice from our experienced Host members! Have you tried out other smart lock options or took careful measures of using the lockboxes as the members suggested?

Keep us updated on how you are deciding with using these options!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you,I am still debating but got great advice from teh other owners,very helpful.