Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Setting up a Campsite Airbnb

Answered!

Setting up a Campsite Airbnb

Good morning,

My husband and I are considering setting up a basic yurt on our property as an Airbnb. The yurt would not have running water nor available facilities nearby (We would set up a dry toilet inside).

What can we set up for guests for personal washing?

Please advise & thank you!

—Leigh

Top Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried posting on a camping /glamping owners website you're more likely to get an answer there @Leigh625 

View Top Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried posting on a camping /glamping owners website you're more likely to get an answer there @Leigh625 

@Helen3 

Hi Helen,

We were unaware of this option. It's great that there are so many resources out there. Thanks so much!

—Leigh

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Leigh625,

Your yurt setup sounds fantastic!

For personal washing,  I've seen off-grid setups use an on-demand hot water system powered by a small propane tank for showers—it’s a great way to add comfort without complex plumbing. It would be a good idea to provide biodegradable soaps to keep everything eco-friendly. Maybe this setup can work for you?

Also, Airbnb has specific categories for camping and yurts, which could help attract more guests!

Quick tip: I've added a tag with Helen's name to your comment. To tag someone, tap "@" and select the host's username from the dropdown menu. This way, they will receive a notification 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Quincy, thanks so much!

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Leigh625 Have you done any market research to confirm that people would be willing to pay to stay in a basic yurt without any facilities other than a dry toilet inside? It doesn't sound very appealing.

You might get more business if you put yourself out a bit and installed simple washing and toilet facilities. Today's guests are demanding and entitled. There won't be many expecting such primitive accommodation. You need to respect your guests, in the hope that they will respect your place in return.

@Fiona256 

Greetings, Fiona,

This is very helpful advice. We hadn't considered what or even if there is a demand for such a space in our area.

My husband and I have to get started on the groundwork.

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Leigh