Sustainability

Answered!

Sustainability

I've just read Airbnb's tips on sustainability but it's all directed at hosts. I'd love to save on my energy bills and at the same time combat climate change but I'm not the one that turns on all the lights, all the heating, plus the air con on high, and then goes out for the night until early the next morning! I'd much rather rate my guests on their environmental responsibility than their basic communication skills. 

1 Best Answer
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Michael7335 Saving energy in our Airbnb's today is an issue that we are all trying to do at the same time saving money.

Yes, as you have pointed out there is a problem with guests leaving the lights and airconditioning on when they go out. Like yourself we live onsite and you hear the airconditioning still running when they go out. My mind says "Oh no what can I do?"

What I have done is leave a note near the entrance door is.     

We are trying to be sustainable and we would appreciate your help. Can you please turn off airconditioning and lights when you leave or go out while you are enjoying our local area. Thank you.

At the same time I have put in our welcome information booklet what we are trying to do to keep our cottage sustainable and hope they read it.

@Robin4 who lives in South Australia with an Airbnb has written on this CC Forum with ways how to set up a way that disengages the airconditioning when you leave the propert and go through the gate. Also how he sets the airconditioning handpiece with settings not to low or to high. So I am hoping @Robin4 will add his information again for you.  I am still trying to do this as I am not technical minded. 

I looked up your property at Burrawang and what history you must have with your Burrawang Village Bakery as an Airbnb. Sorry I am unable to help you more but I am hoping @Robin4 can help you and I hope he puts the pictures and information up on this page again.

Laurelle from Huskisson.

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Michael7335, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on sustainability with us and how guests can be a part of it too!

We do have some sustainable Hosts in our forum who advocate sustainability measures, one of whom is our superb member and Host @Laurelle3 !! 

I would like to invite her to this post, in case she would like to offer some insights and suggestions as a Sustainable Host! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Michael7335 Saving energy in our Airbnb's today is an issue that we are all trying to do at the same time saving money.

Yes, as you have pointed out there is a problem with guests leaving the lights and airconditioning on when they go out. Like yourself we live onsite and you hear the airconditioning still running when they go out. My mind says "Oh no what can I do?"

What I have done is leave a note near the entrance door is.     

We are trying to be sustainable and we would appreciate your help. Can you please turn off airconditioning and lights when you leave or go out while you are enjoying our local area. Thank you.

At the same time I have put in our welcome information booklet what we are trying to do to keep our cottage sustainable and hope they read it.

@Robin4 who lives in South Australia with an Airbnb has written on this CC Forum with ways how to set up a way that disengages the airconditioning when you leave the propert and go through the gate. Also how he sets the airconditioning handpiece with settings not to low or to high. So I am hoping @Robin4 will add his information again for you.  I am still trying to do this as I am not technical minded. 

I looked up your property at Burrawang and what history you must have with your Burrawang Village Bakery as an Airbnb. Sorry I am unable to help you more but I am hoping @Robin4 can help you and I hope he puts the pictures and information up on this page again.

Laurelle from Huskisson.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Laurelle3 

Hi Laurelle, thanks for the accolades, energy efficiency has become a real issue with us in Australia. I believe we are now the most expensive country in the world in terms of energy cost. The energy provider I was with in July doubled my peak  Kw/h rate from 32c to 64.8c and my off- peak rate from 18c to 52c.

Needles to say, I changed provider!!!

Governments around Australia are to be condemned for trying to push us as a country into technology that may one day be commercially viable, but certainly isn't at this point in time. 

@Michael7335 

The comments you have made are absolutely correct. Of course we as hosts try to be as sustainable as possible because that is how we not just remain competitive but actually survive and make some sort of profit. It's in our interests to stop wastage!

But each year Airbnb's tips on sustainability shows that they are moving ever further away from the realities of hosting, As you say Michael, sustainability to Airbnb is something that only involves hosts......it seems to have nothing to do with guests!

And if the host tries to educate the guest on sustainability by asking them to limit 'energy wastage', the guest will complain to Airbnb and in every probability receive a 30% refund of their reservation cost! 

Hosts cannot be sustainable because, guests won't give them a chance!

Guests reaction is, "I am paying for it, I will use it however I want"  ARE YOU LISTENING AIRBNB???

Michael, there are ways you can help yourself to subtly limit guest energy wastage, the main one being heating and cooling costs.

Guests are always going to leave windows and doors open despite the ambient conditions, and I am afraid there is nothing you can do about that.

Michael you don't make mention of what sort of comfort system you use but I suspect being in the Southern Highlands your principal requirement is heating. 

Having been a mechanical services contractor specializing in air conditioning in my working life where I ran a company with 27 employees, I do have expertise and some innovative ways to take energy wastage out of the guests hands. If you can tell me what sort heating you are using Michael, I will be able to promote ways to help you.

Cheers........Rob

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Robin4 thanks for reply. Can you put the information of your gate gadgets again on the site. I have the pictures (saved) but I missed the information where to buy and what the components are. I went to JB Hi Fi with pictures and they didn't know what they were.

I will wait for the update with @Michael7335 for more information. 

Thank you great to keep in touch.

Laurelle 

.@Robin4

Rob, the main heating used by guests in my BnB is A/C, along with a wall panel heater in the kitchen and heat lamps in the bathroom. The timer switch in the photo

20230904_134555.jpg

was at one stage installed in my school to avoid wastage with lights left on in vacant rooms, overnight, over weekends or even over holidays. I salvaged a couple when some refurbishment occurred. I'd love to have one on the A/C and I'm sure it would be quite straight forward for an electrician to put one in between the circuit breaker for the A/C and the A/C itself. Would greatly appreciate any other ideas. I'm not always home when guests check out and it's frustrating to find all the heating, including even the towel rail, and all the lights merrily chewing up kilowatts some time after the guests have left.

Cheers .. Michael

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Michael7335 

Michael, you will notice if you hit the @ symbol a drop down box will appear with the various contributors in the conversation thread.All you do is tag the contributor you want from that box and that contributor will get a notification alert that you are contacting them with a response. I haven't answered sooner because I was not aware you had replied to me!

Michael you can turn your property into a full home automation system if you want to go that far. 

Firstly lets concentrate on your Air conditioning. I am still not sure what sort of a/c you have but, if it is a ducted or ceiling system, I control mine in two ways!

Michael there is a national electronics distributor called Jaycar. Now it's possible your nearest Jaycar outlet would be in Wollongong. There may be a Jaycar agent closer to you but Wollongong would be your nearest major outlet that would stock anything you might need so these are the items I am recommending! Michael click on these images to enlarge.

Jacar temperature sensor.png

1/......If a guest wants to be warmer than 24c (75f) in the winter time or cooler than 20c (68f) in the summer, they won't do it at my expense and the above unit takes control of this. 

It is a programmable temperature controller and only allows my a/c unit to heat to 24c and cool to 20c!

The guest can set the wall controller to anything they like but in reality the unit will only operate in that 4c temperature band! 

You will need an electronics person to fit it but installation is quick and simple and as you can see, the device costs less than $10, you should be able to get the whole thing in and running for less than $100 so it will pay for itself in no time!

2/......Now the second method I use is to stop guest energy wastage by running the a/c when they are not there. I have also included this auto remote controller (once again from Jaycar) into my system.....

Jaycar remote controller.png

Now, how this operates, it turns the a/c off and on from a remote sensor!

What happens I have a mini transmitter in the cottage key-ring.....like the remote un-locker for your car.....

IMG20190703165048.jpg

When the guest walks out through the front gate and takes the cottage key with them it sends a signal that triggers a wired sensor at the front gate.......

IMG20190703172212.jpg

That sensor is wired back to the a/c unit and as soon as the guest walks through the gate and triggers it, that activates a 5 minute delay timer which then turns the a/c unit off!

As soon as the guest returns through the gate the sensor automatically turns the a/c unit back on again. 

Guests have on odd occasions mentioned they expected the cottage to be warmer when they returned but nobody has ever dinged me for it.....and let me tell you Michael, it has saved me a heap of energy dollars!

3/.......If you are using a wall split a/c/ unit which already has a wireless remote controller you can also replace that controller with one of these......Aircon Off.png

This Michael is also available from Jaycar, and costs around $55. It can be programmed to any a/c that uses a remote control and you can also set the temperature band that it will operate within just as I do with my in ceiling unit.

The only thing I have not pursued at this stage is remote power off when the guest checks out and leaves the keys in the premises. That hasn't been a major issue for me, but once again it would not be difficult for me to achieve given my working background.

Michael, beating the environmental vandals is not hard and it doesn't have to be expensive. If you need any further info just post here or send me a DM.

Cheers........Rob

@Laurelle3  @Emilia42  @Bhumika 

Does Jaycar sell the key fob remote?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Michael7335 

Michael, Jaycar do sell the fob transmitter.

You can bypass the gate sensor by having the wireless control unit operate direct from the key fob........I think the fobs range is about 20 metres, but Jaycar could better advise on that.

That way as soon as the guest leaves the accommodation by more than 20 metres, the off timer will be set in operation.

I have gone down the path of setting up a gate sensor Michael because many times a guest will just want to go out to their car to get something, or use the barbecue, or sit in the garden......they are not actually leaving the property, so the only time I require the system to work is when they have actually left the property with the key for more than 5 minutes. 

Michael there is a simpler way of doing this but unfortunately it is not full-proof, it depends on a few variables.

The wireless controller will sense via WiFi with the guests phone and I am working through the conceivable options to make this viable at the moment. I will keep the CC informed!

Cheers........Rob

@Laurelle3 Hello Laurelle. Thanks for contributing and lovely to hear from you. I do have energy tips in my guide booklet but a reminder near the door is a great idea and I will have to do that sooner rather than later. With the A/C, I put the temp to a reasonable setting as well as the  fan speed. Invariably after check out I find the temp has been set ridiculously high or low (depending on the season) and the fan speed on maximum. Unfortunately the "I've paid for it so I'll crank it up" mentality is one of the bigger obstacles in fostering a greater awareness of energy conservation, and, ultimately, minimising costs for hosts and guests. Looking forward to seeing tips from .@Robin4 

Yes, the bakery has some history. Still going in the '60s but like the general store, the butcher, and the fruit and veg store (with petrol bowser!),

20230904_141955.jpg

all victims of the supermarkets in the bigger towns nearby. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michael7335 I couldn't agree more. I have always thought that Airbnb and Sustainability was an oxymoron. This time of year, where I live, temperature can be controlled by opening and closing windows. I am currently sitting here in my apartment perfectly comfortable. Yet my 3 Airbnb across the street are running the A/C all day long and then switch to heat all night. It's baffling but they're the climate change activists. Not me.

@Emilia42 Hello Emilia, and yes, exactly!  And thanks for joining this discussion. My last guests arrived mid afternoon for one night, turned on all the heating (incl. A/C), all the lights and then left for a gathering nearby. They returned around 2am. Yes, they are paying for the stay but the issue is much bigger than just economics.  I'd love to make use of one of these but maybe not for lighting as chances are the moment it cut the lights, an

20230904_134555.jpg

accident would occur and a legal issue would arise. I can't see any problem though with having it wired into the A/C circuit.

Gifty5
Level 9
Chicago, IL

@Michael7335  

It's understandable that you want to do your part in saving energy and combating climate change while hosting guests. While Airbnb's sustainability tips are primarily directed at hosts, there are still some steps you can take to encourage more environmentally responsible behavior from your guests.

1. Provide Information: In your listing description or welcome message, you can gently inform guests about your commitment to sustainability and your desire to minimize energy usage. You can also include instructions on how to use heating, air conditioning, and lighting efficiently.
  2. Set Clear Expectations: During the check-in process, take a moment to explain your energy-saving practices and encourage guests to follow suit. Politely ask them to turn off lights, heating, or air conditioning when they leave the property.
  3. Label Controls: Make it easy for guests to understand how to adjust heating, cooling, and lighting by labeling controls or providing clear instructions. This can help them make more informed choices.
  4. Provide Eco-Friendly Amenities: Offer eco-friendly amenities like reusable water bottles, cloth shopping bags, and recycling bins to encourage guests to reduce waste.
  5. Reward Responsible Behavior: If you notice a guest being particularly environmentally responsible during their stay, you can consider leaving a positive review that highlights their efforts. This can serve as an example for future guests.
  6. Offer Local Tips: Suggest local activities or transportation options that are eco-friendly, such as using public transit or visiting sustainable attractions.
  7. Implement Eco-Friendly Upgrades: Over time, consider making eco-friendly upgrades to your property, such as installing energy-efficient lighting, smart thermostats, and low-flow water fixtures.

While you may not have complete control over your guests' actions, taking these steps can help create a more sustainable hosting environment and potentially influence your guests to be more environmentally conscious during their stay. Remember that education and positive reinforcement can go a long way in promoting responsible behavior. Hope this helps!

Yes, all great ideas and many of which I already employ. I still feel that rating guests on this would be a valuable addition to the star system already there for house rules, cleanliness and communication.

Alison1142
Level 2
Torrance, CA

Thanks to all of you for this discussion. I'm a mid-career sustainability student researching how guests (hosts too) can be more accountable for things like waste, electricity, purchased goods and overall emissions. I think it's a missed opportunity for the hosting/hotel industry to reduce their emissions. I've read the entire thread - if you've made additional discoveries, I'd love to include as part of a presentation I hope to offer as a solution. Thanks.

@Michael7335 @Robin4 @Gifty5 @Emilia42 @Laurelle3