USA tea preferences?

Answered!
Tara0
Level 10
Oxford, United Kingdom

USA tea preferences?

I'm a UK host and 90% of my guests are from USA. I'm looking for opinions from USA hosts, as to what sort of tea you / your US guests prefer. 

I've always supplied tea bags as a kitchen basic, but I'm about to upgrade  my offering from a few boxes of various tea bags to a selection of individually wrapped 'posher' ones in a single container. It also means I'll be able to provide a little more choice, and it'll look neater on the open shelf where the tea and coffee stuff is stored. 

Over the years, I've noticed that the fruity herbal / camomile / peppermint teas are fairly popular. The strong black teas that we love in the UK are less popular (e.g. English Breakfast). Sometimes a guest will leave behind decaf black tea bags which they bought, but that's rare. So I wonder whether I should swap Assam / English Breakfast tea to a weaker one such as Darjeeling or Ceylon? Or even Lapsang Souchong. And what about green teas?

Basically, I'm ignorant of USA tea culture and some pointers would be really helpful.

1 Best Answer

It sounds like you’re doing a great job at catering to your guests' preferences! As someone who has hosted guests from the USA, I can share that while tea culture in the States isn't as prominent as in the UK, there are definitely some trends worth noting. Many American guests tend to prefer lighter black teas, like Darjeeling or Ceylon, over the stronger English Breakfast or Assam varieties. Herbal teas like chamomile, peppermint, and fruity blends are also quite popular, as you’ve noticed. Green tea is another good option to include, as it's often favored for its perceived health benefits.

If you're aiming to provide a well-rounded selection, a mix of light black teas, herbal options, and perhaps a green tea would be a great choice. This way, you’ll have something for everyone, whether they’re tea enthusiasts or just looking for a soothing cup. As you balance hosting duties with your studies, it's important to manage your time effectively. If you ever find yourself swamped with academic work, you might consider options to take my online exam for me** to keep your schedule on track.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Tara0 

We do have a tea culture  but for the U.S. we tend to  be coffee addicts. lol  Maybe if there is tea unique to your area?  In Hawaii we had a lot of Asian tourists so more teas and we would offer like Hawaiian Macadamia Nut or Hawaii Passion Fruit teas things not easily available to them so added to their tropical island experience.

It sounds like you’re doing a great job at catering to your guests' preferences! As someone who has hosted guests from the USA, I can share that while tea culture in the States isn't as prominent as in the UK, there are definitely some trends worth noting. Many American guests tend to prefer lighter black teas, like Darjeeling or Ceylon, over the stronger English Breakfast or Assam varieties. Herbal teas like chamomile, peppermint, and fruity blends are also quite popular, as you’ve noticed. Green tea is another good option to include, as it's often favored for its perceived health benefits.

If you're aiming to provide a well-rounded selection, a mix of light black teas, herbal options, and perhaps a green tea would be a great choice. This way, you’ll have something for everyone, whether they’re tea enthusiasts or just looking for a soothing cup. As you balance hosting duties with your studies, it's important to manage your time effectively. If you ever find yourself swamped with academic work, you might consider options to take my online exam for me** to keep your schedule on track.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]