What Fee should place on EV charging for my cabin?

Christine1684
Level 1
Snohomish, WA

What Fee should place on EV charging for my cabin?

What is a fair price?  I have a cabin near Mt. Rainier built in 1969.  People were charging EV's on our deck outlet 55 year old wiring that was getting hot.  (Even though we said please no charging on this old wiring - there is a place to charge in town.

We had to replace the electrical panel at 5k+ to accommodate an EV Nema 14-50 charger outlet. 

We charge $50/stay for a pet.  I was thinking $20/per stay for using the EV, what do you think?

thank you for your time,

6 Replies 6
Muhammad497
Level 1
Faisalabad Saddar, Pakistan

Available 

Maggie633
Level 4
Laguna Beach, CA

That’s a great question. I haven’t come across this problem yet, but I’m sure it’s coming.  Looking forward to hearing responses from experienced host. Maggie

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Christine1684, Welcome to the Community! 🌟

While we wait for feedback from other hosts, I thought you might find this post  @Felicity11 wrote about Installing an Electric Vehicle Charger to be helpful. You can also find more conversations about EV chargers here. 

I’m also tagging a few members who have discussed EV chargers in the past. They might have valuable insights to help with your question! @Cheryl252, @Ben205, @DragonFly-Cottage0 , @Kate1651@John7759 , @Rusty46, @Shelley159, @Steve4372 @Mary1523 , @Teddi2 

Looking forward to hear all the fantastic advice from fellow hosts!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi @Christine1684, its interesting how market forces forces us as hosts to adapt. It's the old saying, if you can't beat them, then join them!

So disclaimer, I own an EV and provide an EV charger at my property. I installed one for my car first, then to see how guests use it.

There is no right or wrong answer to your question. Hosts have very different positions on this, and thats OK. It's an emotive topic, but it shouldn't be.

It's entirely up to you whether you wish to charge or not. Here's some considerations:

a) It depends upon the charger in town - is it a fast or super charger? If it is, in that case, they can charge probably for the same or less and it's far quicker, so they won't pay to charge at your place. Because i'm reasonably sure your home charger like mine, is not fast, so it will take over 5 hours to charge. EV owners will choose where to charge based upon what's quickest for the money. 

b) Do you want to attract more bookings by using this as a hook? Then don't charge..Offer as a feature. Is it going to increase your electricity costs by alot? In comparison to heating or cooling being used by the guest?

c) Do you want to cover your investment costs in the infrastructure? Then sure, ask for a nominal charge. Any fee for charging though if too high, could mean the guest will say, nah, i will charge in town cause its faster anyways. Defeating the purpose of you putting the charging infrastructure in.

d) Can you actually regulate the use of the charger? If its like mine, its easy for the guest to access given i can't lock off the fuse box. So it's an honour system anyways.

e) Originally I used to charge for RVs/caravans to use power on my property on a daily charge, and I thought I could do the same with EV's. Changed my mind when I actually owned an EV...leading to my next point...

f) the argument that hosts don't provide gas, so why provide electricity for cars is understandable, however it is misses the point. EV owners are early adopters, its a mindset shift of a disruptive technology. Electricity is everywhere and should be available everywhere, thats the whole point, unlike gas tanks which are high risk storage liquids. It's not easy being an EV owner, contrary to public opinion. You experience range anxiety especially as its not exactly easy to get a recharge on the roadside in the middle of nowhere, cool/hot battery temp variations which lessen battery range etc. Early adopters are providing the learnings for the mainstream adopters in years to come.

g) I would argue, and I don't have data yet to prove my hypothesis, that EV owners tend to be more energy consumption aware anyways (because they pay for every cent of it) in their daily lives, so an EV owner staying at your property might consume less overall than a normal booking who turns everything on and doesn't care! EV owners will also charge at times of day that's cheaper if you just ask them to. They get it.

h) depends upon your personal philosophy and beliefs around climate change. i'm not judging anyone here 

i) do you have solar panels, do they work in your area, do you have battery storage? If you do, maybe the power is free? Maybe you want to charge to cover your costs?

j) how large is your property? the larger the property, the more the cost is probably less noticeable but if its a 1 bedder, it could be obvious...

What I've decided to do, despite my also large $3K AUD investment in a wall charger, is offer it for free for the time being. I'm watching how many guests ask for it, ask them to charge at cheap times or when the sun is shining to use the solar. I'm watching the electricity usage. I'm also, in parallel running a survey with all guests to find out how important EV charger is in their choice to stay at my property, and over time will introduce questions around charging for it. Basically, I need more data before making any more decisions.

So far, only a small % of guests have used the charger, are happy to charge on cheap time overnight and it hasn't been a noticeable increase in electricity usage. If its winter especially, because fan heaters are running in the house anyways. My house is 6 bedroom so you can just imagine...And in summer, the pool pump and fans make it negligible so far.

Hope this helps with your considerations, Regs MK

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

@Christine1684 

I installed a charger as I have two EV’s so it convenient for us when we are there. Overall it cost us $1k to install. 
I list it as an amenity and so far, I don’t charge guests. 
I don’t charge as I want to attract more guests. It doesn’t cost that much to charge. 
so far, only two guests have used it and because we are in a rural area they were grateful not to have to worry.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Christine1684! 😊 Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions from other hosts about EV chargers? It looks like there are many ways to approach this, depending on what aligns best with your goals as a host.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen