What do you leave in the refrigerator for your guests?

Answered!
Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

What do you leave in the refrigerator for your guests?

53530826_12.JPG

Hello everyone 😊

Today we want to invite you to share your experience on what you leave in the refrigerator for your guests. We have noticed two major trends:  

• Some hosts decide to leave basic items like ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard and water.
  • Others prefer to keep the refrigerator completely empty to give a clean feeling to new guests.

What kind of host are you? Maybe you decide not only to offer the basics, but also some additional food items, such as fruits?🥝

Tell us in the comments how has been your experience leaving food in the fridge.

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
1 Best Answer
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elisa 

A couple of things come into play here.

A/......There are remote hosts who can't spend the time or money on supplying anything other than a rentable space and for many guests that's all they want! They don't want host interaction in any way.

B/.......Then there is the host who is personally involved with their guests, and for these hosts there is more likely to be a hosting experience involved and guests that choose these listings do so for that experience.

I fall in the latter category and I have done deals with a number of the local traders which enables me to offer a wide selection of condiments for my guests.

Every guest gets a cheese plate, eggs and bacon, fruit juice, a bowl of fruit, milk, sparkling and still water, a bottle of wine, crackers and nuts, cereals, bread for toasting, tea and coffee. 

IMG20181024102411.jpg

IMG20180908112445.jpg

IMG20231231113118.jpg

plus a range of spreads, pepper & salt and personal wipes and sanitizers.

Sure I go overboard, and if a guest had to supply what I provide it would cost them around $50-$70 but, as I said I am a bargain hunter.

When cheeses and other perishables get close to their use by date or get a bit pulled around in the display cabinet they either go in 'Robs Box' out the back or they go in the supermarket dumpster. I never pay more than 50c for a cheese, a pack of bacon, a carton of fruit juice. And the wine costs me nothing, it was part of a wine shipment the Chinese government rejected in 2020 and got written off to insurance. Here is my current stock of 28 dozen, and it didn't cost me a cent, so every guest gets a bottle of wine! I have enough wine for 5 years of hosting

IMG20240705081939.jpg

Although it looks an amazing spread, my average cost per guest night is less than $7.50.

Some guests will clean me out, take everything with them when they go! Their rationale is, 'we are paying for it we might as well take it'!  Other guests (mainly overnighters) will use nothing, and then there are those in between that will use just what they fancy so, the cost to supply all this is pretty minimal.

It all goes to form part of a welcoming homely type of hosting. It won't be practical and doesn't suit lots of hosts........but it works well for me!

Cheers........Rob.

View Best Answer in original post

49 Replies 49

Great question @Elisa!  Our Airbnb is at the beach, and it’s a space for couples only.  We put 4 bottles waters in the refrigerator.  We have coffees, teas, sugar, stevia and half and half pods on an open shelf.  We have been putting an unopened pint of half and half in the fridge but no one has used it!  Since our spot is called The Hive we also provide a small container of honey and a wooden server for guests to use and take with when they leave! When the week looked particularly risky for rain, I wrote out a welcome letter with things to do and places to see when it’s raining!  And we put a couple of umbrellas by the front door!  We’re trying to anticipate the needs/wants of our guests!

Hi @Robert-And-Geri0 

I'm glad you appreciate my question. 😊

You know how to take care of your guests! I'm impressed by all the great ideas you have.

I'm curious, why is your place called The Hive? 🐝

Warm regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center

Hi @Elisa !  Here at the beach, many folks name their homes!  Ours is named miss Bee’s Haven after the nickname my mom gave me - Bee!  So when we built our apartment right next to our home, we thought The Hive made sense!  We have lots of bee and hive decor in it, while still being beachy!  Our full name is The Hive at Duck because we’re in the cute little town of Duck!!

Thank you for this explanation @Robert-And-Geri1. It is very cute!😍

I love bees. They work hard and they love flowers. 

You should write a post about that story in the community. I think Hosts would love to read it.

Warm regards,

-----

hello El