What do you leave in the refrigerator for your guests?

Answered!
Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

What do you leave in the refrigerator for your guests?

53530826_12.JPG

Hello everyone 😊

Today we want to invite you to share your experience on what you leave in the refrigerator for your guests. We have noticed two major trends:  

• Some hosts decide to leave basic items like ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard and water.
  • Others prefer to keep the refrigerator completely empty to give a clean feeling to new guests.

What kind of host are you? Maybe you decide not only to offer the basics, but also some additional food items, such as fruits?🥝

Tell us in the comments how has been your experience leaving food in the fridge.

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
1 Best Answer
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elisa 

A couple of things come into play here.

A/......There are remote hosts who can't spend the time or money on supplying anything other than a rentable space and for many guests that's all they want! They don't want host interaction in any way.

B/.......Then there is the host who is personally involved with their guests, and for these hosts there is more likely to be a hosting experience involved and guests that choose these listings do so for that experience.

I fall in the latter category and I have done deals with a number of the local traders which enables me to offer a wide selection of condiments for my guests.

Every guest gets a cheese plate, eggs and bacon, fruit juice, a bowl of fruit, milk, sparkling and still water, a bottle of wine, crackers and nuts, cereals, bread for toasting, tea and coffee. 

IMG20181024102411.jpg

IMG20180908112445.jpg

IMG20231231113118.jpg

plus a range of spreads, pepper & salt and personal wipes and sanitizers.

Sure I go overboard, and if a guest had to supply what I provide it would cost them around $50-$70 but, as I said I am a bargain hunter.

When cheeses and other perishables get close to their use by date or get a bit pulled around in the display cabinet they either go in 'Robs Box' out the back or they go in the supermarket dumpster. I never pay more than 50c for a cheese, a pack of bacon, a carton of fruit juice. And the wine costs me nothing, it was part of a wine shipment the Chinese government rejected in 2020 and got written off to insurance. Here is my current stock of 28 dozen, and it didn't cost me a cent, so every guest gets a bottle of wine! I have enough wine for 5 years of hosting

IMG20240705081939.jpg

Although it looks an amazing spread, my average cost per guest night is less than $7.50.

Some guests will clean me out, take everything with them when they go! Their rationale is, 'we are paying for it we might as well take it'!  Other guests (mainly overnighters) will use nothing, and then there are those in between that will use just what they fancy so, the cost to supply all this is pretty minimal.

It all goes to form part of a welcoming homely type of hosting. It won't be practical and doesn't suit lots of hosts........but it works well for me!

Cheers........Rob.

View Best Answer in original post

49 Replies 49
Bronwyn100
Level 9
Hardys Bay, Australia

I leave water, a bottle of wine and a cheese board. Sometimes crisps and chocolate. Salt, pepper, coffee, tea & milk are a given. If they don't consume alcohol they will simply leave it in the fridge. Only had that happen once😂

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Bronwyn100 

Yeah, the wine is popular Bronwyn and we do have to be careful. Quite often a guest will say to me,"hey that wine was great, can I buy another bottle off you" and this where we can get into trouble! It can be argued in a court that the supply of wine formed part of the rental agreement, and we don't as hosts hold a licence to sell alcohol! You don't know where these guests come from and what their connections are......tread carefully!!!

Also with foodstuffs, we can only supply perishable foods that come in manufacturers sealed packaging. I was the Kitchen Coordinator for our local branch of Meals on Wheels for 6 years but even that didn't give me a general food handling licence. We have to rely on the integrity of the manufacturers food handling status. We don't want to get hit with a gastro claim.

At times it annoys me Bronwyn, a guest will take a tiny bit out of each cheese and leave the rest on the board. But that's it, once it's seal is broken, or it hits that 'use by date' out in the bin it goes!

Cheers.......Rob.

@Robin4 The wine is a gift. Never been asked for a second bottle but if I was I'd tell my guests to walk the 50 metres to the bottle shop 😂 All my food is sealed. I just place it on a cheese board in the fridge. 

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elisa 

A couple of things come into play here.

A/......There are remote hosts who can't spend the time or money on supplying anything other than a rentable space and for many guests that's all they want! They don't want host interaction in any way.

B/.......Then there is the host who is personally involved with their guests, and for these hosts there is more likely to be a hosting experience involved and guests that choose these listings do so for that experience.

I fall in the latter category and I have done deals with a number of the local traders which enables me to offer a wide selection of condiments for my guests.

Every guest gets a cheese plate, eggs and bacon, fruit juice, a bowl of fruit, milk, sparkling and still water, a bottle of wine, crackers and nuts, cereals, bread for toasting, tea and coffee. 

IMG20181024102411.jpg

IMG20180908112445.jpg

IMG20231231113118.jpg

plus a range of spreads, pepper & salt and personal wipes and sanitizers.

Sure I go overboard, and if a guest had to supply what I provide it would cost them around $50-$70 but, as I said I am a bargain hunter.

When cheeses and other perishables get close to their use by date or get a bit pulled around in the display cabinet they either go in 'Robs Box' out the back or they go in the supermarket dumpster. I never pay more than 50c for a cheese, a pack of bacon, a carton of fruit juice. And the wine costs me nothing, it was part of a wine shipment the Chinese government rejected in 2020 and got written off to insurance. Here is my current stock of 28 dozen, and it didn't cost me a cent, so every guest gets a bottle of wine! I have enough wine for 5 years of hosting

IMG20240705081939.jpg

Although it looks an amazing spread, my average cost per guest night is less than $7.50.

Some guests will clean me out, take everything with them when they go! Their rationale is, 'we are paying for it we might as well take it'!  Other guests (mainly overnighters) will use nothing, and then there are those in between that will use just what they fancy so, the cost to supply all this is pretty minimal.

It all goes to form part of a welcoming homely type of hosting. It won't be practical and doesn't suit lots of hosts........but it works well for me!

Cheers........Rob.

Hi @Robin4  thank you for this wonderful comment. The pictures are very helpful! 😍

I’m curious, how do you handle situations where guests take more than expected or use items that are not meant for their stay?

Warm regards, 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elisa 

As a host Elisa, you never argue with a guest, you are being paid for the 'privilege' of having them stay in your property, so you accept that they are all going to treat their stay a bit differently. Most are just lovely people, some of whom have become our friends and stay on a regular basis. Many are just a business transaction, they pay their money, stay and I try to give them good value. We part with a handshake or a hug and the experience is mutually beneficial to both of us.

In reality, of the 1,000 + stays we have had here, there is less than a dozen I would not want to see walk up my driveway again!

But back to your question, hosting is about the law of averages, some you will win on some you will lose. If I am going to put it out there, I have to expect that it will be lost or consumed......and that's fine, I allow for it in my listing charge. If I found the percentage of guests who cleaned me out rose, I would have to raise my listing price to cover it.

I run an Excel spreadsheet which details every aspect of my profit & loss so I can tell at any given time if I am making money or losing it!

And I can tell you now, I don't lose it! Here is an old spreadsheet from 2018 when I was only charging $82 pr night. I have gone up 30% since then, but I still run a spreadsheet every month and smart buying has meant my profit margins now are considerably better than they were in 2018.

Income & Expenditure for period March-April 2018 b.png

With 20 seconds notice I can bring up the full details of any guest I have ever hosted. How much they cost me and how much I received, even the GST and service fees. It's just common sense to do this.

I do not offer up front discounts, I do not use 'Smart Pricing', I do not set seasonal pricing! These things are not deigned to help the host, they are designed to have hosts canabalise each other and not let a potential booking escape to another platform. It's all about Airbnb and their service fee, not the host! You cannot run a business not knowing from one day to the next what your pricing and profit margin will be.....that's a short cut to ruin!

That's not to say I don't offer rewards! But I will offer a refund at the end of the stay when I can objectively work out what discount might be appropriate for that stay.

Elisa, hosting is a business, you have to be thorough with your costings, not just pluck amounts out of the air.

Cheers.......Rob.

*Image edited to remove personal information*

Good morning @Robin4 🌞

You're right, arguing with a guest is not nice.

I'm really impressed by your idea of using an Excel table! That's a great approach.

You should definitely consider writing a post about it, it could be really helpful to other Hosts.

Warm regards,

-----

Hilee0
Level 2
State College, PA

We try and keep basic condiments in the fridge at all times (ketchup, mustard, mayo, soy sauce), along with a container of filtered watered for drinking. Coffee, tea, sugar, spices and oil are also available. Extra welcome gifts depend on booking price and who is staying - 

For EVERY guest reservation, we include a bag of popcorn & sparkling juice on a pretty tray left on kitchen island with a welcome note + Chocolates left by bedside. Total is less than $10 and guests greatly appreciate the offer, even if they don't eat it. 

Also, we live in a college town, so for big events and football games, I will customize a welcome basket of local goodies - meats, cheese, coffee, local spirits, etc..this can add up to well over $50, but our guests are paying a premium price and for that I am very thankful, so I like to return the favor!

@Hilee0 Thank you for sharing your methods! 😍

I think your attention to detail really enhance the guest experience.

How do you decide what goes into the customized baskets for big events?

Warm regards,

-----

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Elisa , since we do not have a full service kitchen, we do not offer any food items. We do have a small kitchenette and refrigerator in our unit. We supply 2 small bottles of each: water and two different juices. Everything we offer is individually wrapped (ear plugs, q-tips, make up remover, hand wipes, snacks..etc..

I have stayed in Airbnbs where there is a full kitchen and some food items left for use: salt, pepper, olive oil. Honestly, I would be hesitant to use any opened food item (ketchup, mayo, any condiment) as I do not know how long they’ve been there or if they have been tampered with. I always rewash the dishes prior to using as I have found some dishes feeling and/or looking icky. Yes, I understand all guest(s) cleaning standards vary. For me,  cleanliness (and sanitary) is very high on my list especially in the kitchen and bathrooms!

Hi @Ana2038 

Thanks for telling us how you work. 😊

You’re absolutely right; maintaining high sanitary standards is crucial, especially after COVID. It’s great to hear how you prioritize cleanliness and safety for your guests.

Warm regards,

-----

I try to keep everything clutter free so I lonly leave some bottled water in the refrigerator. Once in a while I may leave a nice bottle of wine. For the kitchen, I always have some salt and small packets of honey, sugar, and coffee. That's it 😀

Thank you for sharing @Fausta11!😀

Do your guests usually enjoy the bottle of wine you leave for them?

Warm regards,

-----

We leave the refrigerator completely clean and empty. I don’t like leaving even Mayonnaise or other condiments that have been used by other guests.  ( we experienced a rental in Baja one time that was totally full of old mayonnaise etc…..yuck!)

We do leave a bottle of wine and some chocolate. We offer a shopping service that our guests can use if they would like the refrigerator stocked before their arrival with fresh fruit, wine, beer, eggs etc.  This has worked out very well and our guests love this service. 
Our airbnbs are in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. We also have a cook and a housekeeper that prepare breakfast or can do some shopping for our guests.