What is included and what isn’nt?

Hannele6
Level 1
Jonstorp, Sweden

What is included and what isn’nt?

Hi! We are about to have our first guests renting our whole house (normally we offer only a room). First for 7 days and then again for 8 days. A bit concerned though, f.e about how to do if guests break something? Should we take pictures of everything? And how do we explain to guests what they are allowed to use and what not? We don’t want to empty every cabinet of f.e candles, food ingredients as sugar etc. or do we not have any other choice? How do you do? 

4 Replies 4
Roger904
Level 1
Norton, MA

I have the same thing, but I got a small apartment refrigerator I put in their bedroom and I have them sign a contract, it stated that the refrigerator in the bedroom is for their stuff only and my stuff is mine buy paper goods and your own food

Rose422
Level 7
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi @Hannele6 , 

Congratulations on being a super host and what a beautiful listing tucked away in a cosy part of Sweden! I am sure you are aware of the airbnb's coverage when it comes to your concern. I would say the best thing is not to worry and trust guests that they will treat your space with respect. What I personally used to do when I started listing the entire space as opposed to hosting in a private room, I made every attempt to personally welcome them to my home and give them a little tour.

Believe it or not, if you welcome people yourself and treat them with kindness you get the same back and even more, but this might not be something that most hosts are capable of doing due to time constraints. I usually ask them about their preferred timeframe for arrival and since I also live onsite or nearby, I am on standby to welcome guests. On the second day you would send them a message that you hope they found everything they needed for a memorable stay and if you can make their travel experience any better 'please get in touch any time'. I would say not to worry about messaging too much on what they can do or what can't be used, it just adds too much weight or burden. You want the welcome process to be seamless and make an impression that you care for your own space so guests will treat it with the same attitude. Maybe you could have a one liner saying many items in the property are of subliminal value to you and if they need more space, you are prepared to clear any area in the cabinets, etc, but this won't likely be the case. 

Hope those tips help, I hope you stay positive and remember the more you shake over things the more you have problems to deal with. I have trusted guests over time and never once I had to charge them for a broken glass or an unlikely missing item in 7 years. 

Rose. 

@Hannele6 Hi whatever is out/available is fair game ie guests can use/consume it.

If you really don't want it used, have a private locked cupboard. I have a big locked cupboard in my laundry with my own food and other stuff.  And a freezer in a room they can't access.

Don't worry about breakages, it's usually minor, just expect to replace glasses or crockery over time. That's just wear and tear, don't expect to charge guests for that. If it's fragile and you don't want broken, again, lock it away.

I actually have concerns with hosts who just open their house up as is. Because how do I know as a guest that you've cleaned everything before my arrival? eg the fridge. How often does a fridge get cleaned if you don't empty it regularly. The downside of not putting things away is that you may get rated down on cleanliness unless you are completely on top of every window being clean, dusted, no mould etc. It's a next level of cleanliness for hosting guests compared to living in it yourself. I am constantly vexed even in my holiday property that cleanliness is my lowest rating attribute even though we are pedantic about cleaning everything, from blowing leaves off porches, wiping down walls, cobwebs etc, windowsills, cleaned blinds etc. It doesn't take much for guests to rate you down on cleanliness if it's not perfect! I had one guest gave me a lower rating on cleanliness and I asked why, and he said because he found a few dishes that were dirty (his definition was something that was encrusted on it after dishwasher probably from a previous guest).

BTW I'm about to do something like you for another property I live in, and I've been carefully thinking through a second fridge and a second cupboard in the kitchen, a bit of building work reconfiguration required to do this long term.

Afterall you want to provide a fabulous experience for guests. Providing your whole home is a whole different level of expectations to meet in my opinion. But you've had good experience doing a room so you are up for it! It's those that don't even have any hosting experience that struggle trying to do this successfully.

Hope this helps

Kind regs

MaryK

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Hannele6 , Congratulations on receiving the booking for the whole house. It must have been both a thrilling experience, slightly making you nervous too! 

Did you get a chance to go through the thoughtful advice you've received from @Mary1523 @Rose422 @Roger904 ? How are you proceeding with the booking? Have you prepared any house rules for the guests to follow?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines