What to do with Plastic bottles & single use plastics?

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

What to do with Plastic bottles & single use plastics?

Plastic bottles are big news in the UK at present. So I was wondering about creative ways to reduce the use of single use plastic in our listing. 

Currently we provide two bottles of water in the fridge and extra 2litre bottles in the listing with a borehole supply. 

We will stop supplying the water and provide a water flask and a reusable glass bottle of the tap water to chill in the fridge. 

Any other ideas? 

68 Replies 68
Linda941
Level 2
Anchorage, AK

I have a one and a half gallon glass dispenser with a spout that I fill with reverse osmosis water from Whole foods.  My guests love it. The tap water isn't that great here.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds like a clever piece of equipment @Linda941. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Elaine238
Level 2
Hopkinton, NH

We are always looking for ways to reduce one time use plastics, so (in addition to coffee/tea) I offer a pitcher of filtered ice water as well as soda stream ginger ale. Guests are welcome to fill their own bottles from our beverages.

Geri12
Level 2
Roslyn, NY

I have filtered tap water in my house, and a large supply of "sports" bottles that my guests can borrow at any time. My only requirement is that they don't leave them on the furniture, so I make sure to provide lots of coasters all around the house. Water in my community is pretty clean, and I use it myself on a regular basis. When people ask me about the water, I tell them that I have been drinking it for 32 years (true) and that they are more than welcome to buy their own bottled water, but it is really expensive here. Most people carry their own water bottles these days, and just want a clean water supply. I'm fortunate!

Dave-and-Evie0
Level 2
Asheboro, NC

I refuse to contribute to single use water bottles.  We don't offer it at all.  We have filtered water and ice in our home and offer it to our guests to refill their water containers.

Sue102
Level 6
Sarasota, FL

The fridge in our rental condo offers filtered water (and crushed ice, etc.).  I need to replace the filter about every 6 months. I don't supply bottled water, but sometimes guests leave behind extras and those get used by future guests.

If the fridge didn't have filtered water as an option, I would purchase a filter jug such as the one we use in our home, the "Zero" water system. Again, the charcoal filters need frequent replacement, depending on how much they're used. 

Carole168
Level 2
Galveston, TX

I have been hosting for a year and live in a coastal community. I have removed all plastic bottles and provide my guests with a Britta jug and real glasses. I also make a fresh batch of flavored iced tea and have it in a nice glass decanter that I purchased from the dollar store. This amenity cost me pennies but all guests have loved the tea. I have also removed all plastic straws. 

Ronak1
Level 2
Mumbai, India

You can consider providing water in earthenware bottles. These provide natural cooling to the water and is very eco-friendly. Some examples of those are here:

https://mitticool.com/products/earthen-clay-water-bottle-1-litre/

Each bottle costs ~ USD $5

You can read some of the benefits of such earthen bottle water here:

https://doctor.ndtv.com/living-healthy/this-is-why-you-should-use-a-clay-pot-to-store-drinking-water...

Another option is to provide water in copper vessels. There are many benefits of that too:

https://isha.sadhguru.org/in/en/wisdom/article/treat-yourself-to-a-copper-detox

Doing away with plastic bottled water is the best thing we can do as a community.

Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

Hi everyone.  I have a filtered jug of water that sits on top of my fridge for (room temperature) water (as I hate tap water) but also have one in the fridge directly fed from the abovementioned one for chilled water.  I don't know how much it is used but they're both always there for guests' use.

I'm so glad to read this post. Brand new to hosting and I refused to cave to the Keurig and bottled water thing. My unit has a full kitchen so my plan is to make infused water in a glass vessel with a spigot. Lots of inspiring ideas on here! 

Rachid28
Level 2
Crawley, United Kingdom

PROVIDE A BRITTER FILTER .

Gemma123
Level 2
Pecket Well, United Kingdom

This advice is great timing - thank you.  I have just received a Ted Baker Jungle Print Vacuum Flask for my birthday......it will look fab on the dressing table filled with water for my guests and will make a great alternative to plastic water bottles!  We have no safari experiences to offer in Pecket Well, Hebden Bridge, UK but we do have barn owls, deer, hares and the Pennine Finch aka Twite - the special bird of the South Pennines.  They love seed especially common sorrel and dandelion so we are trying to grow more - so they don't disappear!  Thanks for this.  I'm new to Airbnb so hope my comments are in the spirit of the community!

Gemma 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome to the Community @Gemma123, it is great to see you are enjoying all the tips here. 

Your listing sounds wonderful. I hope to speak with you more around the Community Center. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Empty Bombay Saphire Gin Bottles are the best for water stored in the fridge 😉

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

i buy bottled water in glass containers.  I put one bottle on the desk in each guest room.