When do we need to change the bed sheets?

Answered!
Maya50
Level 2
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France

When do we need to change the bed sheets?

Dear Hosts,

I'm new and beginner in AirBnB,happy to join all of you here at CC.

I'd like to ask you about hospitality concerning cleaning the house and changing the bed sheet and towel.

As it will be my first time to have a guest who stay than 4 days (they will stay for 9 nights), should i change  the bed sheet and towel during they stay?.

Is there any standard for it?.

Thank you for your attention, thank you also for sharing your experience.

Warmest Regards from France,

Maya

1 Best Answer
Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

I leave extra sets of sheets in the apartment as well as a generous number of towels. The guest can do what they like.

this is a private apartment.  If it were a single room in my house, I would change the sheets every week. Long term guests are on their own.....we are a vacation rental, not a hotel.

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

I don't know if there is a standard for it but I would offer to change the linens or leave linens for them to change on day 5 if they desire. You want them to be comfortable and post a positive review about your hospitality.

@Maya50

I think it depends on the weather, climate, what you usually do and what the guest expects.

Honestly, I know few people who ACTUALLY change their own sheets every week. In my case, I change my sheets every 2~3 weeks. Currently, I have a long term guest and I usually change the guest bed sheets when I change my own. I do ask my guest at about week 2 if she would like the sheets changed today or if she's okay for a couple days more.

Still, considering they are GUESTS, If I were in your shoes, I'd probably tell them at check-in that if they want sheets changed, you would be willing to change them once during their stay around day 5, and to let you know one day in advance when they want the sheets changed. I also suggest that you change the sheets yourself, instead of giving clean sheets to the guests to change themselves becuase it's a good excuse to go in and check the room condition 🙂

Also, in my case , I provide clean towels throughout my guest's stay. I have a separate hamper for used towels in the guest bathroom so I collect them every couple days and provide clean towels to replace the used ones. This is also a good excuse to pop my head into the guest bathroom to check if nothing is broken or clogged 🙂

These are the assumptions I made when thinking about what kind of housekeeping activities I'd have to do, how often, and what it would cost me to make sure my nightly price was enough to compensate my efforts and cover additional laundry costs.

If you are worried that they will ask for too many towels, I'd just say something along the lines of "I provide X number of clean towels every 4~5 days so please make sure they last until then"

Good luck~!

@Jessica-and-Henry0

Thank you for sharing.....

Regards,

Maya

We provide a full laundry in our venues and offer our long-term guests linens we can drop-off or they may launder themselves.  In over 4 years of hosting all of our guests have self-laundered happily.  

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I used to provide clean sheets and light cleaning  every week and  fresh towels every 3rd day.

Now, I'm lazy. 

I now realize that I charge a one time cleaning fee, therefore the guest has an expectation of a one time cleaning.

Many guest prefer privacy and independence. Many just don't care.

So there really is no "standard", unless you consider a extended stay hotels your "standard".

But we should not try to be a hotel

Those hotels charge more, pay minimum wage and can turn over a room in 20 minutes, we cannot compete.

@Maya50   I leave one set of extra sheets and towels in the room so they can choose whether to use them or not.  When the cleaning service comes mid-stay for longer stays I ask the guest to leave their door open if they want the room cleaned, the linens changed or more towels, so far none have.

Maya50
Level 2

@Ange2

Thank you for your idea and also thank you for sharing.
I also provide the washing machine, but i'm not sure to let the guest wash the linen etc in their own.

regards,

Maya

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

I have a washing machine..

I offer a change of linen after about 5 days and leave a lot of towels on site and they also have a washing machine.

Maya50
Level 2

@Suzanne174

Thank you for your share and giving me an idea.

regards from France,

Maya

Maya50
Level 2

@Nina75

me too !?

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

For guests staying for over a week, I provide enough towels that they can have a clean one every other day, and a clean set of bed linens (including top quilt) after 6 days. That's how often I change out my own towels and bed linens. Nobody has asked for more frequent change, and no guest has ever used all of the towels provided. 

Maya50
Level 2

@Ali40

Thank you Ali for your reply....that's give me an idea.

Regards,

Maya

Linda356
Level 2
Burradoo, Australia

Every third day same as hotels. Towels should be every day same as hotels. That is who we are competing with so follow their standard.