Airbnb Open 2017 CUBA?!...Por Favor?!

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

Airbnb Open 2017 CUBA?!...Por Favor?!

It was amazing to hear from some of the fantastic hosts from Cuba last year at the Airbnb Open in Paris and it was so wonderful to know that this business model is doing so much to provide financial stability to the people of that country. As many know, Cuba was one of the American hotspots to go for Travel in the 50's but we have been kept from enjoying this part of the world for more than half of a century. Of course our fortunate European neighbors have been continuing to enjoy the island all this time. 

While I realize that there may be issues with their politics that we all cannot /do not agree with, I think it would be an amazing economic boost to the people of Cuba to host the Airbnb Open of 2017 there in Cuba, before it changes too radically and gets too Westernized. With the premise of an educational venue (which the Airbnb Open is) I don't think there will be much issue with members getting access to the country to attend.

Anyone agree? We are part of the best travel community in existence today...Doesn't it make sense that we take on what has been made available as a new frontier to Americans...finally? I am hoping to bring this idea to the Airbnb Open this coming November in L.A. but thought it best to see how much support the Airbnb community had for this proposition.

Any ideas on how to promote this idea further? ex: I would love to see a vintage style Airbnb travel poster for hosts for the Cuban Airbnb Open 2017. It could be a fun contest for hosts!cuba travel poster 1.htm

42 Replies 42
Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello Mary

There is no Airbnb Open this year. And the destination for the 2018 Airbnb Open hasn't been decided as yet. But hopefully it will be Cuba.

Watch this space.

Best

Dieneke

Hello @Dieneke0 @Mary403,

Wow! Will be great if Cuba could host all the Airbnb hosts from all the world next year. So, no Open this year.. 😞

Thanks!

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello @David88  yes wouldn't that be great. One of my favourite cities!

Who organizes the OPENs?  How many Airbnb Hosts are there in Havana?  

Barbara

David,

Are you a Host?  I would like to plan a trip to Havana.

Barbara

@Barbara410,

I really dont know how Aribnb choose the Opens Cities, but I really would like Havana to be in the list.

Yes, I am a host in Havana. There are many americans visiting Cuba, and staying in Airbnbs, and another part in hotels... I recommend Airbnb. You can check my listing, and choose the one you like the most. Let me know any doubt. And welcome to Cuba!

Hello Dieneke,

Please advise from where you received the information that there is no open event for 2017 ? if thats really the case then I will book myself a holiday in the summer, I thought there was an open event in November so I was waiting to go on holiday then.

Please confirm if the information is 100% accurate.

Thanks a lot

Joanna x

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jo141 I got a notification from Airbnb. Best is to check with l airbnb help . Good luck. Dieneke 

MariaDeLosAnge1
Level 2
Havana, Cuba

Hi all,

I just see this thread and I really believe that it would be great that next Airbnb Open was in Havana. As David said Airbnb has been a great tool for Cubans and very useful to make accessible the entire world to us. The growth of Airbnb in Cuba has been amazing, the actual number of listings is over 15.000 and growing, according to airdna.co. This Airbnb Open would be a fantastic opportunity to Cuban hosts to interact with other hosts around the world, to gain experience, will be a lot of publicity for Cubans Hosts, will improve their vision of the great community of Airbnb, and will show to the community of Airbnb and others that is really possible to travel to Cuba even when there are some restrictions for Americans. I hope see you all there!!!!!

Yes! We hope so, but I was told that Airbnb is not doing any Open this year, is that right. Thanks for your words Maria de los Ángeles. I am sure Cuba will be very glad to receive the company. Warm regards from Havana!

I would like to stay in touch as I wanted to travel to Cuba regardless of the OPEN.

Opening Cuba through local hosts is the best diplomacy that we can have.  

Reciprocity arrangements are also welcome in the USA.

Barbara Nelson

It is great you want to come Barbara. If I can assist you with anything, dont hesitate to contact me. Cuban prople look forward to meet the american people and show our traditions, views and music...haha. Thanks a lot.

David88
Level 4
Havana, Cuba

Don't Let Confusion Stall Your Cuba Travels

Harry S. Truman is widely credited with using the quote, “If you can’t convince them, confuse them.” Although it turns out, this wasn’t Truman’s personal belief, but rather a critique of politicians who employ the strategy.

Now, nearly 70 years later, the maxim could be the guiding factor behind the Trump administration’s policies on Cuba.

Nearly five months after Trump delivered a stirring speech in Miami that promised he would be “canceling the last administration’s completely one-sided deal with Cuba,” the president has put pen to paper to make official the policies he outlined in June.

That President Donald Trump wants to roll back relations with Cuba is not a surprise. It was among the tent pole issues of his presidential campaign.

Trumpeting American values, his June speech promised, “We will not lift sanctions on the Cuban regime until all political prisoners are freed, freedoms of assembly and expression are respected, all political parties are legalized, and free and internationally supervised elections are scheduled.

Of course, the irony that Trump has signed these measures against Cuba’s “brutal” regime while in the midst of a state visit to China has raised its own eyebrows.

“[At] a time that President Trump is meeting with Communist leaders in China and Vietnam, these regulations show the absolute hypocrisy and political pandering of the Trump administration in Cuba,” said Collin Laverty of Cuba Educational Travel, in an interview with the Washington Post (h/t Tampa Bay Times.) “They serve to placate a fading minority in South Florida, harming American and Cuban workers and families."

Cancellation Policy

For Americans, Trump’s seemingly imbalanced approach is just the start of the confusion.

What is really driving head-scratching nationwide is confusion over just what Trump meant when he said he was “canceling” Obama’s forward progress with respect to Cuba.

As TravelPulse reported in August, “The problem now for Cuba tour operators is that many people took Trump at his word that he had ‘canceled’ the Obama changes and assume they cannot travel to Cuba anymore.

“[There] was some confusion based on some of the language,” said Tom Popper, president of insightCuba. “Trump said he was canceling the policy when in the end the changes were very moderate. The language didn’t match the policy.”

In fact, today’s rollbacks should prove to have minimal effect on American travelers to Cuba.

Except possibly for people who were looking forward to a solo trip to the once-forbidden land.

Bear in mind, tourism to Cuba has been, is and continues to be prohibited for Americans. President Obama loosened the process on People-to-People visas, allowing individuals not traveling in a group to apply, but that regulation has now been rolled back.

Which means travelers will once again be required to enter Cuba in a group handled by an authorized tour company under the guidance of an authorized group leader. Individual travel, in most cases, is no longer allowed.

According to The Hill, the Trump administration said Americans were “abusing” the people-to-people policy to craft vacations in Cuba, which was part of the impetus to roll back the regulation.

Interestingly, in an effort to funnel more monies to the Cuban people, the new rules allow the use of “private accommodations” by people traveling to Cuba for legitimate “Support for the Cuban People" programs.

This could be good news for Airbnb, which operates some 22,000 listings in the Caribbean nation. Still, tourism officials wonder how many Americans will actually use Airbnb in Cuba if they are required to travel there in a group.

The most sweeping changes, with respect to the travel industry, come hand in hand with a crackdown on working with companies that have “ties” to the Cuban military. The U.S. Department of State has identified 180 “prohibited” companies, including hotels, travel agencies and tour operators, some retail shops and some rum companies that are now off-limits to Americans.

READ MORE: Let’s Set the Record Straight on Cuba

The formalized ruling might mean tour operators have to change some of the hotels and vendors with which they’re working. Although, as the ruling has been five months in the making, most probably already have alternate plans at the ready.

The banned companies are mostly owned by four entities, GAESA, Cimex, Gaviota and Habaguanex, which all funnel money back to the military, and all have considerable investment in retail and tourism interests throughout the nation.

Exceptions apply, which seem to favor American interests in Cuba.

For example, companies that signed deals before the regulations took place are exempt from the ban. Specifically, Americans can stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Havana, the first U.S. hotel to open in Cuba in more than 50 years, despite the fact that the property is owned by GAESA, one of the banned companies.

On the other hand, Cuba’s first five-star hotel, the Manzana Kempinski, which opened in June, will be off-limits to Americans starting Thursday. The property, operated by the Swiss-owned Kempinski Hotels, is owned by Gaviota.

Cuba Remains Open for Business

Despite any confusion that may have arisen with the latest round of Cuba policy rollouts from Washington D.C., the tourism industry is reminding Americans that Cuba is, most assuredly, open for business.

As always, any confusion that may accompany travel plans is best combatted with a strong advocate in your corner (and possibly a healthy dose of travel insurance.)

Working with an educated travel agent or a tour operator specializing in Cuba is an excellent way to plan the right trip for you.