Why airbnb charges card before host confirmation?

Rishabh8
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Why airbnb charges card before host confirmation?

This is a very frustration issue and makes no sense.

I sent request for booking from a host and was charged for it on my card even before the host confirmed. About 1500 pounds for a week stay.

The host had to decline the booking due to some reason. The money was refunded by Airbnb immediatly but it takes few working days to actually come back in my credit card.

Now I booked another listing and the host did not accept for 24 hrs so the amount was again refunded to my account which is going to take another few days to reflect.

So now I am left with no money to actually make any booking till I get the money back in my account.

Why not charge after host confirms?

Why is this nonsense process used by airbnb. Even if I book again with another card there is no gurantee that the host will accept and I will be left with no money in my account.

5 Replies 5
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Rishabh8 are you trying to book in India? Because that is the only place in the world where Airbnb takes the money with the request and not after the reservation is confirmed. In every other state you only get charged after the reservation is complete. 

Rishabh8
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Oh! Is that so. I think you got it right. I was not aware of it. Thanks.

really @Ana1136 ?  I didn't know . Where did you find this info?

This process is sanctioning in whole over India by Airbnb. If so, then it is excellent news.