guest has disappeared

Joseph723
Level 2
Saint Catharines, Canada

guest has disappeared

I had a booking for a female for 3 days.She arrived at 1 pm and left the same day at 8 pm for whatever reason.She has not returned and it is 5 days past check out.I put her belongings in the basement and she left behinnd her luggage her passport which is canadian and i am in canada and all her luggage.The day of checkout she sent me this message.                                                             I thought this emailed sent hours ago. So sorry. I sent to writing airbnb. I thought email was going representatives so they could contact you for me.

Hello.. Last week I expressed to representatives my phone damage problems...and since last night I haven't been able to get my phone on. Can you please contact my host Joseph. He does not have a phone number, and I'm using someone's phone to make this email. And it doesn't connect to my airbnb account from there phone. I got stranded hours away, not having my phone available to contact my ride. So I'm still far making arrangements to get back to the house. Joseph informed me yesterday before I left I could check out no later then 1 he has ppl booked. So I feel bad I lost contact. Could you please ask him if it is at all possible he could hold my belongings just till this evening. I won't stay there, just pick up my things . and let him know I apologize it wasn't my intention to screw his timing. My things are pretty much packed and ready already I just have a few items on bed and dresser and shoes on the floor. So please let him know what's going on also tell him, gmail is currently only way of contact.
Thanks.                                 Just want my keys back....Been almost a week

16 Replies 16

@Joseph723 have you contacted airbnb to let them know she has not returned? It may also be worth contacting the police - she may have genuinely lost her phone but it might be someone else pretending to be her & as a solo female traveller she is vulnerable.

Joseph723
Level 2
Saint Catharines, Canada

i have contacted airbnb and she has done nothing wrong.She was carrying her bible when she arrived and had about 25 small bags with her and she mentioned about she was getting an appartment the 1st of july and she was couchsurfing till then.

@Joseph723  It's still very strange to leave all of her stuff and her passport for almost a week.  If airbnb doesn't reach her in the next few days, I would also advise you call the police.

@Joseph723 so she's using you for free luggage storage? I'd be emailing her through airbnb and also the gmail account she gave you to tell her to pick up her luggage within the next 48 hours & that you will be getting the locks changed and charging her for it as she has failed to return the keys after she checked out.

Joseph723
Level 2
Saint Catharines, Canada

i have emailed her and called the phone number..everyday she receives an email from me.

Joseph723
Level 2
Saint Catharines, Canada

also found pre paid visa cards in a bag so i dont know it they have a balance or are empty.If Airbnb accepts Pre paid cards then if a guest does damage they cannot charge the guest if the card is empty

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Joseph723 

I would go to the police, tell them what happend and give them her documents

Jorge638
Level 3
Setúbal Municipality, Portugal

Concordo! Este caso deve ser comunicado à Policia, até para joseph se salvaguardar de qualquer problema que possa vir a acontecer futuramente. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Joseph723 

any news from her?

yes and thank you for caring so much everyone.........she arrived on thursday    So sorry Joseph. I've been dealing with some health issues. Been in the hospital twice since we last spoke. And phone has still been giving me problems. So I haven't been able to load into air website to contact you. So I apologize for any inconvenience. I'm close to the area. Let me know if you will be home so I could give you your key and get the items I left in the room. The things I put in your basement before I left I will come back for. My friend said he'll give me a ride with that stuff when I move into my place. Which should be within a week. So thanks so much for your help. Greatly appreciated. Please let me know if your home now or will be shortly. Thanks 

Dionne25
Level 2
New York, NY

I am a new host, do this kind of things happen all the time?

@Dionne25 not in my experience. In four years of hosting, nothing remotely like this has ever happened to me.

Thank you it's really comforting to hear that. I'm just making sure I made the right decision. Having someone you don't really know just walking around your house is scary enough for both party. Thank you for your quick reply. 

I would have been worried about her safety if she was my guest (especially that she had left her passport) but sounds like she has a chaotic life, has worn out patience of all her friends so using you to store her bags.