Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Update: January, 2019

A few months ago, we told you about some changes Airbnb was making to the way guest profile photos are displayed. You can read the original post, below.

Now that those changes are being introduced gradually, we want to make sure you have all the information you need. Here’s a recap of what will be changing, along with some tips.

New photo process

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, you’ll receive a guest’s photo after you’ve accepted the booking request. If you have Instant Book turned on, you won’t notice a change to the booking process.

Airbnb does not require guests to have profile photos. Although most guests provide a photo, some have told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking, and we listened.

At the same time, many of you told us that you value guest profile photos, and we listened to you, too. That’s why we’ve introduced a new option for hosts to be able to customize their own booking requirements.

New host control

You now have the option to require that your guests provide a profile photo. Again, the photo will be visible to you only after you accept the booking request. If you’d like to require your guests to provide a profile photo, you’ll need to turn on the control option in your settings for each of your listings, either on mobile or on web. Specifically:

On mobile:

1. Go to the listing you’d like to require profile photos for
  2. Tap Booking settings
  3. Tap Guest requirements
  4. Look for the Profile photo section and tap Edit
  5. Tap Require a profile photo
  6. Tap Save

On web:

1. From your host dashboard, click Listings
  2. Click Booking settings
  3. Next to Guest requirements, click Edit
  4. Check the box next to Profile photo
  5. Click Save

If you take this step and a potential guest doesn’t already have a profile photo, they’ll be prompted to upload one before they can request to book your space. A guest’s profile photo will not be available to you until after you accept the booking request. If the guest doesn’t want to provide a photo, then they won’t be able to book your space. 

Additional support

If you choose to require that your guests have a profile photo and one of your potential guests uploads an image that doesn’t show their face—a photo of a sunset or their dog, for instance—then you can call Airbnb’s Community Support. They’ll work with you to address the issue, and if you feel uncomfortable hosting someone without a photo that shows their face, you can request to cancel the reservation penalty-free.

As a reminder, Airbnb’s nondiscrimination policy prohibits hosts from making booking decisions or canceling reservations based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status. 

As an extra step, as always, you can require guests to provide a government ID to Airbnb in order to be able to book your space. You can read more about that process here.

Why these changes are important

We talked with lots of hosts and guests about profile photos, and we think these changes satisfy the core concerns and feedback we heard. We’ll be paying close attention to how these changes to profile photos affect our community, and will continue working to improve and simplify the process to ensure you feel comfortable hosting. We hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to build a community where everyone can belong. Thank you for hosting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 2018

You've been asking a lot about guest profile photos, and Airbnb has been working on new policies to address your concerns. Here is an update from Airbnb:

Today, we’re announcing some changes we will be making to the way we display guest profile photos.

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, hosts will receive a guest’s photo in the booking process only after they’ve accepted the booking request. Airbnb does not require all guests to provide a photo. Instead, we’ll be giving hosts the option to ask their guests to provide a profile photo, which will only be presented to hosts after they accept the booking. We have discussed some of this work in the past and we want you to know more about the changes we will be making in the coming months.

We have participated in a number of conversations with hosts and guests regarding this topic. We have listened to our community, and while most guests provide a photo, some guests told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking. We also recognize that concerns have been raised about the potential for photos to be misused in a way that violates our nondiscrimination policy.

At the same time, hosts have told us that they value profile photos because they can help hosts and guests get to know one another before a trip begins and help hosts recognize guests when they check in. Additionally, we’ve seen how photos can be a useful tool for enhancing trust and promoting community.

We want to balance these concerns. Airbnb does not require guests to provide a profile photo when booking a listing and, as we discussed earlier this summer with our hosts, we will be implementing a series of changes in the months ahead:

• If a guest chooses to provide a profile photo, that profile photo won’t be displayed to the host as part of the booking process until after the booking is confirmed.
  • Because some hosts value profile photos and want to be able to know who they can expect at their front door, we will give hosts the option to ask that guests provide a profile photo prior to booking, which will only be presented to the host after the host accepts the booking request. This new option comes with important safeguards that are designed to ensure our community is fair and open to everyone:
    • Hosts must turn on this feature for each of their listings proactively, before they receive a reservation request.
    • If a host asks for a profile photo, we’ll prompt guests to upload one to their Airbnb profile before they can request to book that host’s particular listing; however, the photo will not be presented to the host until after the booking is confirmed.

If a host cancels a reservation after they see a guest’s photo, the guest will have an easy way to contact Airbnb and report any concerns about potential discrimination by the host in violation of our nondiscrimination policy and Community Commitment. If any guest believes he or she has been discriminated against and notifies our team, we’ll immediately help them book an alternative listing consistent with our Open Doors Policy, investigate the report, and take appropriate action. Any host who violates our nondiscrimination policy may be permanently banned from using Airbnb.

This announcement follows the commitment we made in 2016 to evaluate how we display guest profile photos in the booking process. As we implement these changes in the coming months, we hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to make thoughtful changes that make the Airbnb community a place where everyone can belong.

1,229 Replies 1,229

What other hosting sites have you found? I'm opting out of ABB unless they reverse this policy immediately.

Okay - Airbnb. I'm a superhost and I've been a really good member of the forum but this makes me SOOO angry. We are not a hotel. Hotels don't ask for photo ID until a guest shows up because they have other ways of verifying it. Plus the guest is required to show an ID at the desk before they get a key. They have checks and balances. We don't because you block every reasonable attempt we make to stay safe.

So how about Airbnb have some rules defined by hosts:

ALL guests must provide a valid photo ID to Airbnb. Not us requesting it. YOU! We are making our homes available for which you receive a fee and control just about all the parameters. Now you are saying that hosts - many of whom will be taking strangers into homes they live in -  have little or no control over who can book including a photo? Are you serious?

Then here are the rules YOU must follow:

1. All guests will have a valid profile photo that matches there ID (license, passport or other). YOU can verify that they do.

2. ALL GUESTS must register with their legal names. Not some bogus Facebook moniker or cute little combinations of all the family names. Otherwise why would a host post their name and profile. Should I replace my photo with that of a grasshopper?

3. You take ALL of the liability for theft, rape, murder or other. Because we'll all be going to the press when that happens to explain that a few prejudiced hosts caused you to change your rules to impact private homeowners.

What is WRONG with you? Honestly.

NO person is allowed to enter my house without some assurance I know who they are. I don't rent to teens. I don't rent to hoards of partiers. I do try to find out why someone is coming and for how long. Almost every guest has independently emailed me to let me know their details. But if a guest doesn't want their photo shown before they book, then give us the option to block them. Period.

I'm African American. I don't want to stay at an Airbnb that doesn't want me so you can make a booking fee. And I don't want someone staying at my house that is shocked to find out my race and then makes my life a living hell.

So get with it. Listening to guests and changing host rules is fine when you put those idiots in your own home. But not in mine. I have family there and I'm not putting them at risk because you change the rules every time the wind blows.

Case closed. No photo and no real name - no booking. Period! (But if they want to send me their Facebook profile, I'm happy to change my mind.)

Christine,

you have communicated with clear brilliance! Thank you, I am afraid however that you will not be heard, I don’t believe Airbnb is reading our threads.

Can you please copy and paste your amazing response to Airbnb on their site as a direct communication to them.

hoping for the best for all us hosts,

amanda

I agree with Christine, Airbnb should require photo I’d and matching profile photo and information.  I naively thought this was being done.  I falsely felt safe in the past.  

Tweets get instant replies.

dont forget the insurance

if a another person stays instead of the booking guests, and you incur damages..... you are not covered by Airbnb $1M host guarantee progam

Reason being, damages were done by others, and NOT by the guest. It is very clear that Airbnb will only cover damages done by the guest

@Christine0

I am repeatedly high fiving you from the other side of the world.

-Jo

Carol302
Level 7
Winchcombe, GB

As "valued" hosts - super or otherwise - we should be asking for  valid FAMILY/SURNAME before we accept a booking- just like many other platforms and hotels/guest houses request. Wake up AirBNB. We will walk with our "valued" accounts.

I have changed my profile photograph. And reduced my written part of my profile to show really NOTHING that is personal. AirBNB you are losing the personal touch which you aimed for. Or are you really now just aiming for profits?? Not from me I'm afraid now.

Kimberley48
Level 1
Williamsburg, Canada

I have never had a problem with anyones photo,Ii love to see them in real life, but i wish couples would send us pictures of both and names. sometimes im surprised its a couple and not just one person. I think it is more secure with a photo. I liked things just the way they are .

Николай10
Level 4
Kaliningrad, Russia

I wonder if Airbnb bosses take employees to work in their company same way as they propose now hosts to take guests. Like: Hi, Im mr. Smith no photo no id just a few lines about myself willing to get keys and access to your offices and work. No problem, you are fully approved, come in please have a keys, access. And No matter who actually arrive to them, he or she have been approved with no way of cancellation! Did they really accept emploees this way?....I assure You 100 percent - not! Then why the hell they are forcing us to do things they ll never do themselves ?... When things concerns their own security and safety thats one thing, when same concerns to other people , the hosts, thats another singing? What kind of sick discrimination going on on this platform!

online platforms like Facebook, Netflix, instagram, google, etc - are measured by DAU (daily number of users). The More users the Bigger the valuation of the company.

if you were the Airbnb CMO (chief marketing officer), and your goal was to increase the number of users - you probably would have done the same. Lowering the bar, to let more users in. And because there are more guests than hosts... it makes more sense mathematically 

I definitely agree that a picture is needed before booking . We have a right to know who do we receive in our homes  I feel that if somebody does not want to provide a picture there is something wrong . 

We , as a host provide a picture and we should be given the same courtesy.

Michael2399
Level 4
Cologne, Germany

As I wrote yesterday: you have all to send a email to customer support! Write them, that you dont want that chaning! I did!
And we have to got to facebook or Twitter with the hashtag, to get more audience!
I want to make a online petition like on https://www.openpetition.de/
Does anyone now a global internation site?
Thanks!
Michael