Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Airbnb
Official Account

Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Standards@2x (2).png

We’ve noticed a lot of discussion lately about the updated Superhost criteria, so we wanted to explain why we made this update.

The Superhost program recognizes the best and most iconic hosts on Airbnb. Since it began, in order to be a Superhost you had to meet several criteria. You had to host at least 10 stays per year, you had to have zero cancellations (except for extenuating circumstances), you had to respond to 90% of the messages you received within 24 hours, and 80% of your ratings had to be 5 stars.

The first 3 criteria are staying the same, but beginning in July, instead of needing 80% 5-star reviews, Superhosts will now need an average review score of 4.8.

There are several reasons why we decided to make this change. First and foremost, because it’s simpler and easier to understand. One of the top pieces of feedback we received about the old program criteria was that guests couldn’t intuitively understand what it took to be a  Superhost. By making the change from 80% 5-star reviews to an overall rating of 4.8, guests can more easily understand what it means to be a Superhost. Additionally, switching to an overall rating of 4.8 stars also brings consistency across our new programs like Collections and Plus, which require a 4.8 overall rating as well as several other criteria.

In looking at recent data, we estimate that between 90% to 95% of our Superhosts are going to have no problem qualifying for the Superhost program under the new criteria. Ultimately, it’s our goal to have as many Superhosts as possible and have all hosts provide amazing guest experiences worthy of stellar reviews. Our plan is to continue to closely monitor how these standards impact the Superhost program and evolve them based on what’s working and what isn’t. We truly appreciate the feedback you’ve provided so far and we look forward to working with you to bring further clarity and consistency to the program.

551 Replies 551
Najla2
Level 2
Sintra, Portugal

This is an unfortunate decision by Airbnb. It's nice to be a Superhost, but the new criteria are unreasonable. Eighty per cent of scores being 5s was reasonable, but 4.8 is very different. It only takes one bad score from a disgruntled, unreasonable guest to lose one's Superhost status. And as a result of people booking to host drunken parties during the day and night (we have an ideal space outdoors with a heated pool and barbecue), I have had to vet potential guests much more carefully and if someone seems to be booking to hold a party (I try to warn her/him/them off in advance in my advertisement and first message) then I will decline the booking. I think I will just offer and provide the best accommodation and service I can (just what one would do normally) and put the possibility of Airbnb superhost status to the back of my mind. What is more important is that I provide a pleasant place for a reasonable price and that I have guests who will treat the apartment as if it were their own.

Kathy316
Level 2
Dallas, TX

I agree with all said.I have been a SH for7 years now I'm not.I didn't change but Abnb did and not for the better.I can not get any answers, that I trust.  They have no respect for the money we have spent or the work it takes to be a good host.I have always thought they should drop your lowest rating once a year, because that guest was the most horrible and you told them so.

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

This report is at odds with the changes made to the criteria earlier which specify either 10 reservations per year OR at least 3 reservations comprising 150 days total. Please explain this error.  I just had a review and this detail was specified.  It is an important distinction because since  the pandemic many hosts have transitioned to long term stays of many months to meet the lodging needs of the market which has changed dramatically.   Since I pivoted to long term my occupancy rate has skyrocketed! Please tell me you are NOT taking this much needed and welcome change back to the past.

Susan

I’ve given up trying as it’s so confusing.....

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Re: Clarity about... the writer left out a very important CHANGE  to criteria necessitated by COVID and the resulting surge in demand for longer term stays-monthlys.  The Super Host criteria clearly displays this change -- 10  stays   OR  100 nights over 3+stays.  Please confirm this change and post it. Thank you.

Susan
Chyrel0
Level 2
Roanoke, VA

I see multiple superhost statuses with  less than a 4.8

In January , knowing that Airbnb just reviewed the accounts, a host with 4.6 is still superhost.

Or how about a new listing with no reviews yet! Still is a superhost? That’s baffling 

Gilly7
Level 2
Lewes, United Kingdom

In the U.K. the hospitality sector is struggling: the Government here has closed hosts down (completely) repeatedly over the past year and a half and made it impossible  to host people inside homes  (I serve plant-based food to my guests inside).  It is still difficult to host at home: one in 15 people now have the Omicron virus in the U.K. and travellers are reticent to book.  .Personally, I saw a lot of people from Europe and this trade stopped over the past two summers.  Airbnb should be making concessions to superhosts: historically and pre-Covid they were the back bone of their business. 

Sonia_Michael1
Level 2
Hargrave, United Kingdom

We had to change our business model from hosting groups of 12-15 in our home to having two people in an annexe. Since doing this our income and our bookings have dropped because we cannot offer full self catering kitchen in our annexe. It’s cooking by microwave only. People don’t read the detail and so they book and then very often they cancel when we point them to read our offering. Those that do come love the place but it has been very hard to get people through the door. We cannot return to houseparties yet, if ever again. It’s been tough! 

Elaine-And-David0
Level 2
Worksop, United Kingdom

This is a bad system and is setting up hosts to fail. Now thinking twice about hosting. 

Elaine-And-David0
Level 2
Worksop, United Kingdom

Thank you all you have made me feel so much better. I have been really upset by a 1* review. I have had 18 x 5* reviews and incredible positive comments then got a 4* overall but 5* on all categories and good comments. Got the impression that she never gives full marks. However she booked again as have several other guests, one came back 6 times. Then I got this one from a guest who didn't read the description or the check in details. Left vomit in the bed and blocked the spa bath with muck. Not to mention unbelievable number of wine bottles. Think he was an alcoholic. He then had the nerve to say it was dirty, awful location not as described  and not value for money.   I feel better having realised every one gets some crack pots,  But it seems really unfair that it  may influence future guests and lose us our super host status. Beginning to think it's not worth the stress to host. 

Margaret507
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

Could you please explain how someone with only 2 reviews can be a "super host".

Thank you.

Jeffrey114
Level 2
Albany, NY

I received an email from AirBnB on Jan 4 2024 indicating that I had lost my super-host status, which I have had since 2018. In 2023 I have had fewer total reservations, as have many other hosts that I have spoken to about this years activity. 

In 2023 I had 10 guests, and all 10 gave me 5 - Star ratings. My overall average is 4.97 of 77 reviews. I work really hard to please every guest, but it seems that AirBnB doesn't care about this.

My minimum stay is 5 nights making it nearly impossible  to accumulate the number of reservations that AirBnB now wants me to have.  Yet when I have questioned them on this criteria, they say it has not changed. 

I rent my winter home every year since 2017 but I live in it during the winter, and cannot take reservations for those months. Even though this has been happening for years I never lost my SH status because of lack of activity. And somehow now, at the end of December 2023 having hosted my tenth 5-star reservation, now AirBnB says I am not what they define as a SH.

Since 2017 I have only advertised my home on AirBnB, and have also made no private reservations. What do I get for loyalty to ABB? A big fat nothing.  

It seems that I need to reevaluate my criteria about using AirBnB, as we know there are other options.