Decluttering your space: What hosts need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Decluttering your space: What hosts need to know

Declutter.jpg

Do your guests really need three bottle openers? What about all those trinkets on the bathroom vanity? Chances are some of the things you’ve been holding on to are just taking up valuable space. And although clearing clutter may be time-consuming, overwhelming, or even emotional, it can go a long way toward making your space more comfortable for guests and more manageable for you.

Whether you welcome guests in a private room or an entire home, get inspired by these host tips for tidying up.

Make your space cleaner than ever

Even if you don’t take a minimalist approach in your personal life, it’s helpful to embrace one when you host. “I find that the less clutter there is, the more clean and tidy the space looks,” says host Kath from Albany, Australia. And guests care a lot about cleanliness—according to Airbnb data, it’s one of the top reasons for a negative review. Less clutter can also make things easier to clean between stays since there’s less to dust or put away.

Free up room for your guests’ things 

Most guests need a place to put some of their clothes, toiletries, and other personal items. So if your own wardrobe has spilled over into the guest’s bedroom, it might be time to let a few things go. “If I haven't used it or worn it in a year or two, it gets chucked,” says host Sarah from Sayulita, Mexico. You may want to free up even more space, especially if you welcome guests for long-term stays like host Jessica from Seoul, South Korea. “I’m sure they’ll have books, souvenirs, family pics, and their own ‘clutter’ of stuff they want to keep on the bedside table or desk or on a shelf,” she says.

Streamline your kitchen and bathroom

Kitchens and bathrooms need to be super functional, and yet they’re often the first areas to accumulate unnecessary items. “I personally don't like it when it looks like everything in the kitchen in the listing is from a jumble sale or stuff that was discarded from elsewhere,” says host Alexandra from Lincoln, California. Think about what guests will really need in those spaces, and remove the rest. Most will appreciate a bottle opener in the kitchen, but they likely won’t need a banana slicer. Conditioner is a nice amenity in the bathroom, but guests probably don’t expect to have four different brands to choose from.

Check regularly for leftover items

Sometimes, guests leave behind perfectly usable supplies (think plastic bags, canned food, or condiments). You might be tempted to hold on to these, especially if they’re unopened. Keep in mind that guest leftovers can add up and that future guests may not feel comfortable using them. Host Michelle from Chicago only keeps “sealed-as-originally-purchased” food and drink items, like “bottled water, soda, single-use condiments, etc.” Consolidating certain things can also help control the clutter: For example, move extra plastic bags into one dispenser, or combine salt from different containers.

Keep amenities organized and easy to reach

You don’t want guests to miss out on all the wonderful amenities you provide simply because they can’t find them. Host Kelly from Austin, Texas, says to “let the space dictate what is there” and not the other way around: “So, if the shelf can artfully hold five towels, then you should not own six towels.” Go through linens and other supplies regularly, and donate or discard anything that isn’t in great shape. Once you’ve streamlined your amenities, think about the best way to display them. Host Chantal from Yvignac-la-Tour, France, has a guest-dedicated cabinet: “It's got everything from small water bottles to toilet paper … all arranged by shelf and category in separate baskets.”

Find the balance between cozy and clutter-free

“Everything in the room should have a purpose with no clutter or unnecessary frills,” says host Kelly from Austin, Texas. “Having said that, it doesn't mean the room shouldn't be stylish or have a lovely, warm, cozy feel.” Of course, there’s no one-size-fits all approach to this—the right balance can depend on your space, property type, and host style. But here are some guidelines to consider:

• Don’t get too personal. Try to keep guest areas free of your family photos, kids’ artwork, or other very personal items.
  • Personality, on the other hand, is welcome. Framed local artwork, a quirky piece of furniture, or a one-of-a-kind mirror can make your space stand out.
  • Add decorative objects—just not too many. Whether it’s plants, throw pillows, or small sculptures, three-dimensional items can help give your space a homey feel. The trick is to use them sparingly and to arrange them in an intentional way.
  • Get inspired by Airbnb Plus hosts, whose spaces are known for cohesive design full of personality. Browse their listings or watch the how-to videos they helped create.

With these tips in mind, you’ll be on your way to a tidier, more welcoming space guests will love. Happy decluttering!

129 Replies 129
Erin219
Level 2
Greenville, SC

I LIVE in my home and rent 4 of 6 bedrooms on airbnb.  I try to keep clean and tidy, but this is OUR home and I think if someone rents a room in an airbnb which is someone's home, they need to remember, THIS IS SOMEONE'S home.  I am rather tired of guests who expect hotel amenities in a home.  You want a hotel? GO TO A HOTEL.  Face it.  I stay in airbnbs to save money.  So do most airbnb guests.  Don't spend less than $50 a night on a room and expect a home to look unlived in and spotless.  Clean, yes.  Wine waiting for you?  No.  I do put a snack bar and bottled water per guest in each room.  I have a complimentary coffee/tea counter.  But, this is my home and I LIVE here.  Come on in and be AT HOME.  Relax.  We do.  

I left wine a couple of times - first time was for newlyweds. I did not know the bride was under 21. Second time I left a good bottle of wine, I found it in the trash. The guest was a recovering alcoholic. I no longer leave alcohol for guests unless they request it, and they pay for it.

Liz3652
Level 1
Portland, OR

And then for 37 bucks a night I want to remind folks we live And work here and make three meals a day! 

Vae-Scapes0
Level 1
Palm Springs, CA

Neat. Clean. Style. Tidy. Unique. Artwork. Oh & “wowing” extras. Everyone love these things!

Not only are we hosts, but we also use Airbnb for our travel. We have completely different expectations when booking a private room versus a guest suite/entire house. We expect to be staying in someone's home when booking a private room, which means we expect them to LIVE there and for their personal stuff to be in the house. I would hope Airbnb thinks similarly. We do want it to be clean, we want space for our stuff, and we want to feel comfortable walking around in their space. We book private rooms sparingly because we don't always get what we want. When it comes to guest suites/entire houses we expect it to be clean, decorated nicely, have few to no personal items, and not be cluttered. We also expect space for our stuff (closet space, drawer space, etc.) and we expect the host to use common sense - if you have a dishwasher, have soap for it (or run the risk of someone using normal dish soap). 

Gloria392
Level 2
Murray, KY

Good ideas. I use those ideas in my two bedroom/ living room/ kitchenette. If I notice something I thought would be used a lot, like a toothbrush holder, but no one uses it, I eliminate it. 

Dawn81
Level 9
Escondido, CA

As a guest I stayed at an apartment in Manhattan. The host had every surface space cluttered with doilies knick knacks Etc. There was virtually no where to put down your glasses a book or personal items. I couldn't understand how the host wouldn't grasp how inconvenient his personal items made the space. To boot he had a bed that felt like a board. It was some kind of futon and extremely uncomfortable to the joints and hips Etc.
As a host myself I try to imagine staying in my own space and leave plenty of surface personal space in my listing so people can put their bottles of water books glasses laptop and all their various personal items. There's a happy medium but I do think less is more when it comes to the surface space the guest needs to put out their own items.I another little thing I like is hanging racks over the door so that there's places to hook jackets towels Etc.

Yes yes good points, staying at others places is really helpful for your own hosting... Last year I had a 3 month tour as a singer, the company put us up in theatre digs (the super budget version of airbnb), constantly going from place to place in average to poor digs taught me so much for my own place...

1. Somewhere less than a week? I'm living out of my bag, so I make sure all my spaces have a good spot for someones luggage so they can live out of their bag easily.

2. I ended up Hating wardrobes!!! If it's a guest room for less than a week a wardrobe is just a giant stack of wood taking up space... So now in as many of my rooms as I can I got rid of my wardrobes and put up wall mounted clothes racks (I think that's what they've called) so that they can both hang clothes out as needed but underneath there's plenty of space for living out of your bag.

3. Surface area... so many places I stayed at left me nowhere to leave my keys, phone, wallet and a book or something, so now I make sure there is somewhere people can always leave their things next to the bed etc. Allow people to spread out their things, guests under a week won't be using drawers and wardrobes, they need surface area to spread their things out for the week.

Anywho that's it from me.

Wendy147
Level 2
Newport Beach, CA

Thanks for this article. We have the luxury of being able to meet and greet every guest, so we can show them where crucial things are. Guests do not like clutter! We keep all towels in one closet. In 3 years we’ve only been asked where something is once. 

Renette4
Level 1
Cape Town, ZA

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it and will work towards it and make improvements where necessary.

regards

Renette van Wyk

Thank You,  we love hosting and we are diligent to provide clear and clean surfaces. Our guests get first priority when it comes to “their BnB”.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree. Our b&b is set up to feel like a home away from home. I’m filled with antiques and tons of art books and interesting things for our guests to look through. All of my notes, letters and compliments have been geared towards the love of the “stuff” in the apartment. The kitchen is chock full of any item you might need from in house and outside barbecuing. 
I have single shampoo’s, disposable slippers, big fluffy bathrobes and 100% cotton sheets all the finest of quality as well as fresh unpasteurized milk, fresh eggs from our chickens, freshly churned butter and homemade bread for each guest as well as a welcoming beer for my returning now friends. 
A clean and bare hotel, I can always go to but a b&b says “home” to me.

Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

I suggest that if you have a dedicated guest space, you "visit" it yourself.  Take a suitcase of clothes, and spend a week-end in your own accommodation.  Cook a meal.  Relax with a cup of coffee and the TV.  How comfortable do you find your accommodation?   One thing I do not do is put "all" the towels in the bathroom.  To save on laundering, I put extra towels in the bedroom cupboard.  That way, guests won't randomly grab another towel.  In a country with scarce water resources, this is important.

Renée55
Level 2
Sandton, ZA

Thank you for the very useful tips of decluttering.  I do find that even though we have quite a detailed description of the accommodation on the listing, guests dont't actually bother to read through it. 

They also don't bother reading the house manual.  They will merely look at the photos of the listing and then book.

Lorren0
Level 2
Big Bear Lake, CA

I disagree with a few things in this list. We have two airbnb homes and I always have one photo of my husband and I in the main living space since one of these locations is our main home. I also have my bedrooms themed and have never noticed people bringing in their own pictures...that’s just weird. 

Also, we have found that having our photo helps the guest to be respectful of our home and not treat it like a hotel. 

We are Superhosts and have not had many issues with guests at all because in part of the photo.