Strengthening our commitment to community standards

Airbnb
Official Account

Strengthening our commitment to community standards

377189951_IMG_8839_FRET.jpg

Hosts around the world have told us how much hosting means to them—personally and financially—and how rewarding great guest experiences can be. On the flip side, a bad experience with a guest can be frustrating and, in rare cases, even disruptive. We know these moments can meaningfully impact you and your time, money, and local community.

You’ve also given us feedback that you’d like us to hold the entire community, both hosts and guests, to the same high standards. We agree. That’s why in early 2020, we’ll be rolling out enhanced guest standards that set higher expectations for a trustworthy community. 

Establishing stronger guest standards

Our new Guest Standards Policy will clarify what Airbnb expects of guests, with the goal of ensuring that hosts can consistently have more positive experiences. When a guest doesn’t meet one of the standards outlined in the policy, they’ll receive a warning with education around how to be a better guest. We’ll track and weigh infractions (based on their severity), and repeated infractions may lead to suspension or removal of a guest from the platform. 

These guest standards build upon existing policies we already have in place to address the more serious trust and safety issues that result in immediate removal from the platform. We’re enhancing our system to better monitor for guests who engage in less serious misconduct, so that we can educate and take appropriate action against those guests. 

By setting clear standards, staffing teams to take action, and putting technology in place to track noncompliance, we expect to improve overall guest behavior and increase community trust. 

So what are the standards?

The new guest standards address some of the most common concerns expressed by our host community, and support our broader efforts to address parties that are unauthorized or disturb the community. Beginning in early 2020, the new policy will cover these five scenarios:

1. Excessive noise: A disruptive level of noise, like loud music, prolonged shouting, or repeated pounding or stomping. It does not include complaints about minor or short-term disruptions (like a loud phone call) or noise that can’t be avoided (like walking up and down the stairs).
  2. Major cleanliness concerns: Anything that requires excessive cleaning after a guest checks out. This means extensive amounts of trash, debris, or food strewn throughout the property. It does not mean minor messes (like food left in the fridge or bagged trash left next to a trash can) or anything that could be considered part of normal wear and tear or turnover (like unwashed linens or a dirty kitchen).
  3. Unauthorized guests: When more guests stay overnight or visit the space than the host has authorized for that reservation.
  4. Unauthorized parking: When a guest or one of their visitors parks in an area that the host designated as off-limits, or when a guest or their visitors exceeds the number of cars that the host allows to park at the property, as set out in the listing description.
  5. Unauthorized smoking: When a guest or one of their visitors smokes inside the listing and the listing description prohibits smoking (this includes the use of tobacco, marijuana, e-cigarettes, etc.).

The new Guest Standards Policy kicks in when it’s been determined that a guest has engaged in one of these behaviors. Hosts may report a violation, and we’ll also accept reports of excessive noise through our Neighbor Reporting tool or from local law enforcement. 

What you can do 

We encourage you to clearly outline what you expect of guests in your House Rules, listing description, and messages to your guests. It’s particularly important to specify your rules around parking, extra guests, and smoking so we know if it should be considered “unauthorized” under the policy. When a guest fails to uphold these standards, it’s important to begin by addressing the issue with them directly—this is often the quickest path to resolution. In all cases, be ready to provide evidence that demonstrates a rule has been broken, whether that’s photos of excessive trash left in your space, an emailed complaint from a neighbor, or some other documentation. 

What comes next 

The second phase of the rollout will include additional scenarios we know are top of mind for you, like late checkouts, late check-ins, and unauthorized pets. Our goal is to roll out these additional standards later in 2020. Over time, and with your feedback, we expect to cover even more situations that are important to you. 

Your top questions, answered

Over the past few weeks, we’ve spent a lot of time talking to hosts and collecting feedback on this new policy. We’ve addressed a few of the top questions below.

Why are you rolling out guest standards in phases? 

These new standards represent a significant change for the community (both hosts and guests), and we want to make sure they’re working as intended before we expand them. Rolling out the policy in phases lets us carefully experiment with the standards, education and warning systems, processes, and technology systems we’re using. We aim to gradually expand and refine the policy to address other challenges that are specific to certain groups of hosts as well as different property types. This will be a journey, and we appreciate your input along the way. 

What happens if I report an urgent safety incident while it’s occurring?

If you or your property is in danger, you should always contact local authorities first. We already have policies in place to handle severe safety issues, like assault and violent threats. Violators of these policies are, and will continue to be, subject to immediate removal from the platform. We’re also in the process of rolling out an Urgent Support Line that routes hosts directly to agents who are specifically trained to handle these kinds of calls. The goal is to ensure your call is handled quickly and consistently, so you feel supported every time. 

How will I be supported when I call in with an issue about a guest in one of these scenarios?

As part of the new policy, hosts can request penalty-free cancellations for the remaining nights in a reservation when a guest has violated these standards and the situation cannot be resolved. And as always, if there is any damage to your property as a result of one of the above scenarios, you can file a claim under our $1,000,000 USD Host Guarantee.   

Why aren’t you enforcing all of my House Rules?

Initially, the new Guest Standards Policy will focus on the House Rules that hosts have told us they care about most. We know there are lots of other scenarios that hosts include in their House Rules and listing details. And while these scenarios are important to you, they may not be relevant to all hosts (e.g. rules around whether shoes or certain types of food are allowed in the home). Although these more personal rules aren’t covered by our new Guest Standards Policy, you can help set the right expectations with clear communication—sometimes a respectful reminder can be enough to resolve an issue. 

Keep the feedback coming

You've been telling us we need more robust guest standards to make our community stronger. We expect that, over time, these changes will improve guest behavior and your experiences as a host. We’re pleased to take this critical step in our journey to improve safety and reliability for our hosts. There’s still a lot more work to be done, and we appreciate your ongoing input. 

The growth of our community, and the trust we’ve built, could not have happened without your partnership. Thank you for all you do, and please let us know if you have any feedback in the comments below. 

754 Replies 754
Rosie175
Level 1
Chadlington, GB

I think there should be a list of all the guests that are staying.  How do you know that if there is a group that one of them could have been disqualified from Airbnb.  It would also help if there should be a problem such as a fire (god forbid) to know who is in the property 

Bjorn3
Level 2
Gothenburg, Sweden

At last! This is very good and much needed! 

things have worked well before, when most people where experienced travelers. And used to rent rooms or apartments. 

But I have noticed that now when more and more people use AirBnB only because it’s cheaper than a hotel room, many new think this a kind of Hotel room they rent - which it is NOT. And this you have to educate guests, you are renting a room in another family’s home, period! people think they can decide check in times, or check out late only because you maybe are not at home at that time, or start using the kitchen as your own etc etc.

If AirBnB wants  to continue to grow , these things must be addressed. 

Steven34
Level 1
Great Neck, NY

The credit card security deposit does nothing. Airbnb cannot process the credit card without the guests approval. Be careful. 

Mary605
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Typical for ABB; they support the guest, not the host.  

Wanda85
Level 2
Manlius, NY

I’m glad Airbnb is being proactive to support the Hosts, it’s long overdue. I’ve maintained my Superhost status for 2 years now, and it hasn’t been easy given some of the guests I’ve had to deal with. My home has taken the toll of guests negligence like dragging luggage across wood floors & scuffing walls, leaving water stains on my furniture, reclining chairs ruined, burn holes in my carpets from bad cooks, dents in my garage door from bad drivers, stolen nick nacks...I wish Airbnb had in place something for Hosts to compensate for the small ‘abuses’ our homes are subjected to. Additionally, I feel as though Im rated as compared to a high quality Hotel. Our guests need to understand they are in someone’s home, not a 5 star hotel. We use Tide (or whatever) to wash our linens, our utilities are not theirs to abuse at will, more than likely, we as hosts have other jobs/careers and are not always at the beck & call of our guests...so some rules on guest behavior, consideration would also be welcomed. 

So true!

I keep the fresh bed sheets, linen and towels in thetop of the wardrobe. only can be reached with a ladder.

No probs for some guests, however there isawashing maschine, and given 2 towelsfor each for their stay, one has taken out nearly all during a 10 days stay. And for the next morning i had to make afresh bed and place fresh towels.

she said she had no idea this will cause me a problem, however i am no hotel and i am homewith a then 7 months old....

oh she even told me to bring toiletpaper as they ran out?! Pardon should i cover their toilet needs for 10 days? Shouldn’t i fill up the fridge? I even provide washing liquid softener, shampoo, conditioner, liquid sope, kitchen paper towels, body lotion....

when i was a guest none of these were provided. I bought them all for my stay, and if there was something and ran out, it was no question that i replace it.

not to mention that my place ismuch cleaner than any hotel ever was....

Ann24157
Level 1
Adams Run, SC

How many hosts will actually read these comments?  In our experience, it appears that Airbnb is more concerned with the guest and their needs rather than the host- without whom there would be no Airbnb.  While this is not particularly pertinent to this discussion, the frequent emails from Airbnb suggesting rates be lowered suggest that a host would be willing to compromise their property just to earn a few dollars.  Most hosts, I would presume, value their property and attracting guests who are paying almost nothing is not appealing.

Finally,  guests often do not read the description and/or house rules that are posted.  Often may be an oxymoron.   We have rules printed in our cottage and they are plainly stated in the property description, but still, guests will push the limits.  More guest guidelines and a more strigent guest profile - other than a driver's license - would be a step in the right direction.  Thanks.  

Barbara1060
Level 2
Portlaw, IE

It states its best to confront guest initally before contacting Airbnb. Regarding smoking this may not be possible as it's something you may only discover once guests have checked out. 

I had guests who partied hard during their weekend stay including the use of cocaine evidence left in plain sight after departure along with leaving an appalling mesh dishes were used as ashtrays every item that was used in the kitchen over their weekend stay was left for washing. All of this was reported to Airbnb however how the situation was dealt with I do not know. Communication should be both ways 

Christy189
Level 1
Bloomington, IN

I think what might be helpful in addition is

1) Next level verification check that includes id and posted photo match.

2) If the guest has no feedback record, they are sent a beginner packet to set expectations and perhaps require a certain number and caliber of ratings before feedback garners weight somehow. My lowest ratings are always (an accurate absolute here) new guests who expect unicorns despite my listing description and direct communication that our guesthouse is modest and NOT luxury accommodation and that we have been very honest about what we can and can't offer.

Lisa377
Level 2
South Padre Island, TX

Good progress, though I would like to see Unauthorized Pets in the list.

Linda2672
Level 2
Gaithersburg, MD

This is a great start.  But really just a start.  There is much that still can be done to ensure the hosts have a great experience with their guest.  

Eric642
Level 2
Chicago, IL

The thing is, Airbnb, this is WAY too little WAY too late.  I hosted for NINE YEARS, and was a SuperHost most of that time - I was a superhost from the moment of inception, before it even had standards and was more like joining a club than a qualified award.

But I'm sick and tired of hearing story after story of Airbnb not just not doing the right thing, but doing the exact wrong thing.

I also helped other Chicago-area hosts manage listings, and gave advice to about a half-dozen New York-area hosts.  I watched as one of my Chicago-area hosts was so scared by some of the guests you let through and they refused to help him get rid of that I had to talk him out of getting a gun.  That's simply unacceptable that Airbnb has turned into a bunch of petty children running the show instead of being adults, handling adult situations, and holding people accountable for their actions.  If a host has evidence of any violation of the rules, the guest MUST be thrown out with whatever means it takes, with no refund, with local charges files when appropriate.

In addition, I live in a condo association with 3, soon to be 4 full-time Airbnb whole-home listings (mine was "private room").  I serve on the board and have been called several times by non-Airbnb residents who've had to call the police on guests Airbnb has allowed into our building.

Today we have a board meeting where we are supposed to codify association rules about Airbnb.  Originally, I was favorable to allowing this to continue, but I'm instead going to push the Board to disallow ANY Airbnb use in our Association, including my own.  I will miss the good guests, and the extra income, but it will be worth the peace of mind, knowing that I have real neighbors instead of transients that aren't screened and have an insincere, money-grubbing company allowing them through with no real checks, no real balances.

It's sad.  Airbnb could have stood by hosts, at least hosts that had proven their reliability, but instead was afraid of pissing off bad, dishonest, destructive guests - the kinds of customers any other company with integrity would actively be trying to get rid of.

Isn't the Airbnb motto "A community where everyone belongs" ?  That means:  serial killers, people recently released from prison, etc.  Everyone belongs in the Airbnb community, because that is what is going to make Airbnb the most money.  Each and every host has within their own power to screen, screen, screen, their guests.  I might be better at this, because I also have rental properties and I have seen it ALL.  So, hosts, do not allow "Instant Book" if you believe Airbnb is NOT doing proper vetting.  Email your guests and ask them questions, for example, "What is the nature of your visit"?  etc.  People are less likely to destroy your property after you have developed at least some kind of connection.  I had to throw out a rude, entitled, awful couple in their 50s.  Yes, they trashed me with a bad review and gave me one star, which according to Airbnb rules, cancels out 20+, 5 star reviews.  I responded to this couple's review.  The first sentence was, "These people were a*sh*l*s."   I also wrote, "to any potential guests wanting to book a room with me, if you act like these people in my home, I will throw you out too!"  It didn't even cause a blip in my bookings and several guests said that they enjoyed reading my review of the nasty couple that I had to kick to the curb.  You are in control of your listing(s) not Airbnb.  They are in business to make money, so use common sense and screen your guests.  

@James354  Never used IB, never will. I communicate with all my guests, market my listing towards the kind of guests who will be a good fit here, and have never had any issues with my guests that couldn't be resolved between us with no hard feelings, and no resultant bad reviews. I host a private room in my home and would never even entertain the thought of having an entire place listing unless it was on my property or right next door.

Emily1074
Level 1
Asheville, NC

Thank you for this! I think many times guests forget they are guests- in YOUR home. I have been shocked a few times by the rudeness and entitled nature of some guest interactions. I think it's important to emphasize that there are some things that are by nature different about staying in someone's home vs a hotel room.