3rd party booking with no reviews

Paul75
Level 3
Reading, United Kingdom

3rd party booking with no reviews

Would you allow someone who is apparently booking on behalf of his employees who has no reviews?

5 Replies 5
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

If you are not comfortable with the booking, and it appears that you are not, then I would just politely decline. 

Something like, 'Sorry we don't accept third party bookings."

That said, I have accepted a lot of 3rd party bookings recently, and they have went well actually. Since I more or less know what to expect now, and I'm not against them, if the person who is booking has good communication, good reviews etc. 

@Paul75 

No. 3rd party bookings are against Airbnb's policies and terms of service. Suggest this employer create an Airbnb For Work account if they wish to make reservations for employees. 

About Airbnb For Work

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/927

Booking Trips For Someone Else

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1311

Booking For Friends & Family

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427

"3rd party bookings are against Airbnb's policies and terms of service."

@Joan2709 

I believe that was how it used to be. I tried to search for the policy again and can't find it.

Although from talking to Airbnb Ambassadors, it seems like if the person who booked the reservation tell you up front that it's third party and you as the host accept it, then it counts as an official reservation.  So strongly wondering if something changed myself.

Edit:  Thanks for the additional link @Joan2709 . It seems like officially you still can't book for a third party. But if you start off with an inquiry asking whether a third party booking is okay, and the host says it's okay, then it's considered a valid reservation.  

@Zheng49 

I think you are right @Zheng49 ....I have been hearing the same from other Hosts. When Airbnb is contacted about the 3rd party policy, they say it's "up to the Host" now? I guess the other issue for me in this case is no reviews for this guest. I think if it is a smaller property that is for 2 guests, not as much risk as compared to a large property with 6+ guests. My other concerns are will Aircover (such as it is) be available for a 3rd party booking for both damages and liability? 🤔 

Each Host will have to decide now if they wish to accept 3rd party bookings since Airbnb has made this somewhat ambiguous? I have seen cases where a guest has been banned by Airbnb and gets a friend or relative with a good profile to book for them to get around that. A bit different scenario than a Business booking for an employee.

You're right. In this case, I would still decline just because no reviews for the person who's booking.

I think the risk is still greater overall for a third party booking (due to possible lack of coverage by aircover?), but if the person who is booking has a lot of good reviews, and you treat the reservation with some extra care, then it can turn out well, just like a 1st party reservation. 

Some tips for a third party reservation:

-Ask for the person who made the booking to pass over the check-in instructions, house rules, and check-out instructions as they become available to the third party

-Ask for a way to contact the third party directly

-Check-up on the reservation, same as 1st party