ACCOUNT HACKED!

Answered!

ACCOUNT HACKED!

and Airbnb does not seem to care at ALL! 

the hackers have changed my payout method to a different paypal account and I have been calling and emailing Airbnb since Monday when I found out about this. the hackers paypal still listed on my account and they have not lifited a fingure to help me or secure my account.

this is so FRUSTRATING and I feel so exposed. I am new to airbnb and just hosted 2 guests and have not received any payments yet and when I checked on my account I clearly see a different payout method for the payments and with my bank info still listed there.

this is a major security issue on Airbnb site which they dont seem to care. I can't even find any decent email account to send emails

Very disappointed and frustrated at Airbnb and will take this issue to social media. 

Farah

1 Best Answer

@Robin107 I've been reading your posts with great interest.  I'm wondering, have you changed your email password lately?  Emails are hacked / compromised all the time.  I change mine every six months just to be on the safe side.  Remember, Yahoo had a massive email attack just a few months ago and my LifeLoc security manager has notified me at least once that my email address was found on a  website presumably for sale. 😞

Also, do you check your log in history?  In order for anyone to access your Airbnb account, they have to log in.  You can find this under your profile under Security.  If you find a log in from a device / IP address that you don't use, log them out and then change your password.  You should receive an alert when you or anyone else logs in from a foreign (to you) device / browser.  For example, if I log in to my Airbnb account from a friend's IPad, I will get an alert from Airbnb telling me.  Be sure your email settings are not blocking alerts from Airbnb. 

Yes, technically I supposed that there is a difference between hacking and compromising an account.  Strictly speaking, hacking is done when someone uses computer software to access data illegally such as when Target credit card accounts were accessed.  Usually this is done on a massive scale.  Compromising an account normally is done on an individual account level and is done by gaining access to a particular account.  This can be done easily through public wifi that is not password protected such as in an internet cafe.  Someone sitting next to you can see what you are doing on your device and gain information that way.  There are other ways as well, such as clicking on an attachment in an email from someone you don't know. 

I wish you the best of luck and I'm very sorry you are going through this traumatic ordeal!

View Best Answer in original post

184 Replies 184

How does one not log onto their account for an entire minth??  You're running a business. Log in several times a day and check everything several times a day. That's what business owners do. 

Go to http://www.haveibeenpwned.com where you will invaraibly find your email, password and other personal information has been leaked and sold online.  Kids all over the world run super basic scripts that download this material and attempt to login to hundreds of sites.  Doesn't even have to be phishing. 

My account was hacked too! Just minutes ago and it looks like it is from China or something! I really need to get back in and delete it but they changed my email address and phone number and I can't even post on airbnb help centre because my email address is no longer valid for my account!

I am a cyber security expert who's account was recently hacked -- please stop telling people that this is a result of phishing / you have no idea what you are talking about. These users are usually hacked because their is an OAUTH exploit that allows for a Man in the Middle attack between trusted sources such as Facebook. If user logins through Facebook - the hacker can steal this authentication and mimic it to login / they simply disable notifications and change banking information .. the rightful owner can continue to login and also change back the information as the trust between "Facebook" cannot be compromised. This is a major security gab that is causing major issues and Airbnb needs to wake up. I am attempting to file a class action Law suit against Airbnb and anyone on here is free to contact me for further information: [Email address hidden as per the community guidelines]

I would like your contact. Its hidden here

@Jonathan572 i would like tour contact on the class action

Troy6
Level 2
Galway, Ireland

Hello fellow hosts, last Saturday I got an email notification from Airbnb saying that I changed my email and if it was me do nothing but if it was not you change your password. Well I could not get into my listing because whoever changed my email changed my password! I got a hold of a human in the UK and they were very nice and told me it will be okay. When you put the link to my listing in it says that this listing is no longer available. https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/11279309?checkin=28-03-2016&checkout=31-03-2016&s=UtSoUo6F now I can log in and I changed everything and noticed I was hacked into August 10th from Marshall Islands and August 16th from Brooklyn New York. I have sent emails to Airbnb asking when my listing will be able to be seen and still no response, I am booked for most of September and am losing out on reservations! Anyone have had this problem? 

Same here. I have about 70 listings in BRUSSELS and some dude from an ENGLISH ip hacked into airbnb and added like 100 properties that have noting to do with mine. 

Airbnb is IMPOSSIBLE to contact

I4m going to the police and filing an official complaint, at least there'll be an official paper trail as airbnb isn't responsive nor helpful, from previous replies

@Alain114

I looked at your listing and seemingly you have no properties listed.

Somebody with 70 properties I would call a pro and would at least be able to find AirBnB contact details.

David

Hi Alain,

Did you ever file the police report and did they help?  I am thibking about doing the same since my payments keep getting diverted out of the country.  Not sure if filing a report will even help.  May be a waste of time. 

Tell me how your's was resolved.

It took 2 weeks to get a call back from Airbnb and they said it was taken care of.  I have now been hacked a third time as of this morning.  My payments are going to "IBAN" and acct out of the country. My password has been changed 3 times and they still get in.

Hi Alain,

Did you ever file the police report and did they help?  I am thibking about doing the same since my payments keep getting diverted out of the country.  Not sure if filing a report will even help.  May be a waste of time. 

Tell me how your's was resolved.

It took 2 weeks to get a call back from Airbnb and they said it was taken care of.  I have now been hacked a third time as of this morning.  My payments are going to "IBAN" and acct out of the country. My password has been changed 3 times and they still get in.

I've logged in using my FB account and its some other person in the picture as well as some chinese name. I look at the recent log in history and its in different countries! I tried to change my password and its not the one that I created. The only reason im able to get into the account is because its through my FB account. My credit card is on there and two other cards that are not mine. I need help ASAP!!!!!!

@俊伟0 If you still are able to log into your account, do these things: 

1. Check / correct all your information:

-Phone number

- Payment Method, Payout preference if you are a host

- Email address

2. Change password

3. Under Security, log out anyone that is logged in with a browser you do not recognize

4. Check the box where it says "Turn on Login Notifications"

It would be a good idea to change your email password as well.  I change mine every six months.

If you see any further unusual activity, contact Airbnb. 

Carol236
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hello Clare

where is the box you mention under item 4 -' Turn on Login Notifications'

someone has logged in to my account and i'm concerned they will use it to book accomodation

@Carol236 I think Airbnb is tinkering again....I looked at my own account and the box to turn on login notifications is now gone. 

My guess is that Airbnb has turned on the login notification for everyone which would make sense. 

On a PC or laptop, go to your Account Setting under your profile picture. 

Select Security and you will see all the log ins on your account.  If you see anything unfamiliar, for example a device / browser you don't use, click on Log Out. 

Then check all your account information as I described in another post.  If all is correct, change your password.  It is a good idea to change your email password. 

If you are unable to change your password or if you continue to have activity on your account that you did not make, contact Airbnb. 

Let me know how you get on with this!

Clare