Attract young families with Child-Friendly Amenities

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Attract young families with Child-Friendly Amenities

Quincy_0-1676912345949.png

Are you looking for a way to set your listing apart from the rest and attract more families with children? Adding child-friendly amenities is a simple and effective way to do just that.

Families traveling with children often face challenges in finding a suitable and accommodating event space. By offering amenities such as toys and books, or dinnerware, you can show them that you understand their needs and make your listing their top choice.

Not only will these amenities provide added convenience and comfort for your guests, but they will also set your listing apart from the competition, increase your visibility,  and value.

Here are the most valuable amenities for your guests with children:

🧸Toys and books - keep the kids entertained during their stay

🧑🏽‍🍼Crib - provide a safe and comfortable sleeping space for the little ones

🚗Pack and travel crib - perfect for families on the go and children that aren’t quite big enough for the bed yet!

🥣Dinnerware - ensure that meal times are easy and hassle-free for parents as possible

Make your space stand out and give families the comfort and convenience they deserve. Enhance your space today with child-friendly amenities and don’t forget to update your profile!

Update your amenities today

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

21 Replies 21
John2406
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thank you @Felicity11, there's a few extra ideas amongst your list that would be excellent to add to our own, No's. 3, 8 and 10 most especially!  No.10, definitely!!

Although it's been many years since my wife and I went on holiday with children/grandchildren, I do recall how much I used to read Famous Five and other such children's books, so I think that that's also a great idea to include within all of the other books we provide! so many thanks for that as well!

Hello,

I have thought about providing for children before.

I have two listings right on the beach.

But the ground floor is small and has one bedroom, and no sofa bed.

I could put a sofa bed in and then a child of 3 could stay with parent/s but I think they may be pushed for space. But I will give this more thought and may well replace the sofa with a sofa bed if suitable.  But I think there would be safet issues for young children. I will measure the square footage and may get back with this to get feed-back. 

If the space were bigger I would offer resoirces for children. Parents with an infant sometimes stay.

My second listing is a loft space with a bed on the mezzanine floor and a sofa on the main living area. There are safety issues with children so don't think this space is or would be suitable. 

Anne

Sarah5000
Host Advisory Board Member
Adelaide, Australia

Both my listings provide a high chair, portable cot and dinnerware, bath tub for the baby or kids. However, I have no kids but I do ask my guests before their arrival , if there is anything they need for their kids. Often the parents will prepare it. But it is very grateful when everything such as a cot / high chair is settled up for the kids when they arrive. The most important thing is also to treat our little guest as an adult. 

Sarah
Tuğkan-Berke0
Level 3
İstanbul, Turkey

Hello,
if you have apps like netflix or Disney in your home. You can open a child account in addition to these accounts. so when parents leave their kids to watch something, their kids will see age-appropriate content

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great tip @Tuğkan-Berke0

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

John2406
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Quincy@Bhumika had asked the same question of me, so I had answered, saying;-

Although I have only been part of Airbnb since early 2019, I have been operating "Pilton House Gower" as a family (and  dog) friendly holiday cottage, since 2012, so had already put into place many of the facilities suggested for families with children, some years ago!

Having said that, it was good to read Airbnb's latest post regarding ways to attract families with children.

Whilst we already provide a travel cot, a high chair, baby gates (x 3), child plates, bowls, mugs, cutlery, books, DVDs and games, we haven't provided toys, simply because we discovered that most children have their favourite toys, and bring them with them!

I would suggest however that no two holiday homes will be the same in the amount of space to store everything for the number of occasions children actually stay - which tends to be (in the main) during School Holiday periods.

Although we do advertise/promote our cottage as being family -friendly, and although we actively welcome families with children, AND have child-friendly amenities, we don't seem to be able to attract as many families with children as we would like to have staying, but one of the reasons for that could be due to our cottage having several staircases, as well as our not (currently) having a bathroom/WC on the same floor level as the bedrooms.

We are located fairly close to sandy safe beaches, but unlike some properties, we will not provide nor have a "hot tub" or similar, as my wife's health was severely compromised by using one, so to be on the ultra-careful side of protecting our Guests of all ages, deemed it safer for everyone for us  not to provide one!

As to a swimming pool, unfortunately we don't have the space within our courtyard garden.

I have yet to update the range of amenities for children on our website, but will be doing so very soon, but as to challenges parents might have when searching for suitable  accommodation that has the exact child-friendly amenities, I would be brave enough to suggest that rather than parents trying to find the ideal place that has everything they want for their  child/children, it would be far better for parents to assess what the area has to keep children entertained, rather than rely on what Hosts are able to have within their property!

This area for instance has sandy beaches, 2 swimming pools, rock-pools to investigate, rocks and cliffs to climb, sand-dunes to ski down, countryside to explore, together with castles,  swimming, horse-riding, Egyptian Mummies in local Museums, trails to follow, reptiles in a mock jungle, surfing, skateboarding, and so much more, that no family should be needing to spend most of their holidays in their accommodation!

I hope and trust that my comments will be seen as being constructive, especially as being stuck indoors every day has never been my idea of fun for children, but even more so when on holiday.

After all, it's their holiday as much as it's their parents!

Thank you.

John

Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Thanks for the reminder and advice @Quincy  and @Bhumika !

We love receiving children at home and above all seeing the happy face when they find some small detail for them 😍

We usually buy them a small stuffed animal that they take back home after the holidays. We  ask them to give it a name that reminds them of their holidays and we laugh a lot hearing that ones!

We also put a small table and chair, with papers and pencils to draw on (I know, it's a small risk that the walls appear painted, but so far everything has gone very well).

And finally, most of the children love to meet our mascot, Malba, who is a little Maltese bichon who plays a lot with them (with parental permission of course) 🐶

Socket and corner protectors, as well as books, toys and especially a small bathtub to take a shower are very convenient 🛀