Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Co-Host being asked for tax identification

Co-Host being asked for tax identification

Airbnb recently has been asking me for my tax identification.  . I receive no payment through the Airbnb website because my partner runs the business. I’m only there to help him out.

He does give me a 1099 for work on the property. He  do not share in the payouts or the proceeds. 
Why, therefore, is Airbnb asking me for my tax information? How can I get them to remove this question when I sign on. 

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Brian2179  So are you saying that you're listed as a cohost on a listing but don't get paid for providing support ? 

airbnb are asking for this information because you're listed as a cohost on the listing 

Correct. I get p[aid by the host, my partner and he gives ma a 1099 tax reporting form at the end of the year.  @Helen3 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

so that means you are being paid for your cohosting duties @Brian2179 

@Helen3 AirBnB should only request the tax identification of the co-host if the host has designated a percentage of the guest payments to be paid to the co-host via the AirBnB platform.  Otherwise, AirBnB should not care who the host is paying for services rendered.

I am kind of on the same boat except I own the home. I have my property management team collect the payment and I'm just observing as a co-host and not getting a percentage as a co-host but I'm getting the payout after the PM. I don't think I need to enter my tax info....right?