Critique my listing, Beth,Memphis,TN

Beth6772
Level 1
Memphis, TN

Critique my listing, Beth,Memphis,TN

We’ve been active for a few weeks and not feeling like our listing is getting the bookings it could. Where have we gone wrong?

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/1194265959711871898?source_impression_id=p3_1724862441_P3ylOBh10XcKdpW5 

Bhumika_0-1724862462775.png

[Content  and title updated by Community Manager]

10 Replies 10
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Beth6772 

Your description is great.

I would double check because the listing is set as pet friendly  which you don't want.

Instead of 8 guest, I would try 6,  You have enough beds but comfortable dining or seating in the Livingroom doesn't look accommodating for 8 adult guests

Maybe use one of your other living room photos as the cover, some of your others just show the spaciousness better.

For your kitchen pictures guests like to see the appliances so a picture hat includes liked the dishwasher and microwave.

I don't know if already used but the Airbnb New Host Discount really helps you get some reviews.

Hilee0
Level 2
State College, PA

Hello @Beth6772 , your property and style are absolutely lovely! It may take time depending on how many active listings and current events are in your market.  I would also suggest better photos - bright, natural lighting is best, and take 'head shots' of rooms and features when possible - avoid angle photos except when necessary.  If you accept pets, make sure to add that in your description - It makes such a difference! All the best to you and your beautiful home 🙂

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Beth6772 , Welcome to the Community! 🌻 

Looks like @Hilee0 and @Marie8425 have shared their kind feedback for your listing. Do you have any follow up questions on their comments? 

I'm also including a link to your listing and a photo , so that our Hosts can easily find it and share more feedback. Hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Deborah1395
Level 2
Muncie, IN

@Beth6772 Your house is adorable! I love the decor. If I were listing this myself, I agree with other people who posted - the pictures are fairly good but need "brightening up." I often gently edit my photos to increase the brightness and saturation of the colors, or use a simple photo filter that makes the space seem brighter. It's easy to do if you're using a smartphone for your photos. Another tip is to HIGHLY discount your listing for the initial stays until you've built up a solid base of 5-star ratings. When I look at your listing on Airbnb it doesn't have any indication of special pricing (when the price is discounted, people will see the "regular" price crossed out and replaced by your discounted price). Many people (including me when I book an Airbnb) wouldn't look at a listing with no rating history unless the price is very compelling. I don't know what the other listings are in your area but it could be worth doing a price comparison and making sure yours is the lowest price by quite a lot. Then you can raise the price once your ratings are established. You just have to make sure to go above and beyond for your initial guests so their ratings will be high! 

Otherwise I think your listing looks great. If you're in a highly competitive market it will likely take time, but the things I've mentioned above have helped jumpstart my own listings for sure. Hope this helps!

Dave1388
Level 2
Hudson, FL

Hi @Beth6772 !
Love your beautiful space you have! We have been talking about staying near memphis some time next year, and ive put your home in my favorites!

Some critiques i can offer would be better pictures for sure. some are dark, and the angles where they are taken do not showcase your space as well as they could. keep these things in mind, the first picture needs to be the one to draw the guest to even look at your property. guests will look at pictures first then read the description. Use natural color lighting when taking pictures, avoid dark spots and shadows. you want the pics to be inviting and make the guest "feel" the space like they are actually there.

I like the beginning of the description (first paragraph) but not so much on the 2nd. maybe try to highlight the attributes of the space more than the literal description of each room, especially since you have the room descriptions in the pictures. 
Consider a dynamic pricing tool, or at least try to use smart pricing, but be careful you dont undercut your pricing. 
cleaning fee is great, and I would also add a small pet fee if your going to allow pets. 

That should get you started! 
feel free to reach out if I can help.

Dave

Agree with what most hosts are saying. 

Little additions:

1) Use the “first three bookings discount” = being booked brings you up on the list when people are looking. 

2) Take out the word small (in description paragraph)

3) If you haven’t already, check your local competitors prices — both their base prices and cleaning fees

4) Turn on discounts for last minute bookings (better to get less, than to be empty)

5) Do you have weekly & monthly rates?

6) Invite friends to have their relatives stay when they come to town (give them a special rate) — ask them to give a 5-star DETAILED review 

It will happen!

Daymel0
Level 2
Miami, FL

I think your listing would benefit tremendously from a professional photo shoot so they can bring out some light and colors in the house. Also, I believe you could add more personal information in your profile so your guest can get to know you slightly better. 

Deb4845
Level 1
Fort Lawn, SC

I found your description hard to read. Try making each subject into a paragraph.

Your photos are great. One of the dinning room is chopped off.  

I like the suggestion of lowering the amount of guests.

I kept wondering  why it’s called the blue house, I didn’t know why until the last photo.

Dawn575
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I agree with the recommendations of the other hosts! When we first started out, we started with a lower price point and then slowly increased it as we got 5-star reviews, until we landed at one that is competitive with the market rate.

Your place looks lovely and clean. Brighter photos would definitely help to showcase it better. You don't need to hire a professional photographer. Just take the photos on your phone and use the editing features to increase color saturation and brightness. I would try to do photos that are more straight on, rather than at an angle. I would also recommend updating the bedding to white sheets and covers if possible. They look ultra clean and will brighten up the sleeping areas, giving them a fresh and inviting look. Think of what guests expect to see in a hotel 🙂

The space looks great! I feel like in some photos the lighting looks too dimmed and I am not sure if that would be appealing to some clients. Overall the space is nice and looks very clean. I noticed you cover all possible necessities for the clients; and to be fair I did not read the listing, I am just providing this feedback based on the pictures alone. Your place is very cute and looks cozy so I think this is a big plus.