Critique my listing - Hien in Hillsboro, OR -US

Hien147
Level 2
Hillsboro, OR

Critique my listing - Hien in Hillsboro, OR -US

Hello all,

I recently list my 1st property on Airbnb this month. I need your opinions about the listing so I can improve: picture, description, house rules... More comment is better. All critique are welcome, no hard feeling, because you guys can really just gonna help me get better.

The link to my listing can be find here:

airbnb.com/h/charmingjess

download.jpg

4 Replies 4
Joe771
Level 2
Fort Worth, TX

I think you are on the right path with you listing., the house is cute. I would recommend giving the house a name, or a theme. People love a house with a name or theme. I think some of the pictures could be tweeted, like take pictures of the inside during the day around dusk and open the curtains. When people see closed curtains they think you are hiding something. Did you have these pictures done professionally? I would make your first 5 pictures in the listing your 5 most important pictures. What is going to grab peoples eye the most, like the outside area. Do people come to the area to hang out outside and enjoying the weather? Then what other pictures make your property stand out from the other properties around you? Those would be the first 5 images I would have in my listing. I would also add descriptions to about half of the images. I hope this helps.

Noted. Thank you very much!

Oksana127
Level 8
Riga, Latvia

Hi Hien,

Congratulations on becoming a host and taking the leap into Airbnb! It’s great to see that you’re open to feedback, so here are my thoughts after reviewing your listing:

Photos

• Quality: The photos look good, but I would recommend improving the lighting. Natural light can make a huge difference in how inviting a space feels. If possible, take pictures during the day when the rooms are well-lit.
  • Variety: Try to include a few more detailed shots of the kitchen, bathroom, and any unique features (like outdoor areas or cozy corners). Guests love to see exactly what they're booking.
  • Staging: A little home staging can go a long way. For example, add some small touches like fresh towels neatly folded in the bathroom, or a bowl of fruit or flowers on the table to make it feel more welcoming.

Description

• Personalization: Your description could benefit from a bit more personality. Share what makes your property unique—whether it’s the location, the comfort, or any special amenities. Try to tell a story about the experience guests can expect.
  • Clarity: Be clear about the space and what it offers. For example, mention nearby attractions, restaurants, or key amenities in the area that make your location ideal. Also, a brief note on the type of guest this place would be perfect for (business travelers, families, couples, etc.) can help guests feel like they’ve found their match.

House Rules

• Tone: Make sure the house rules are clear but friendly. Avoid sounding too strict, as that can scare off potential guests. A gentle yet firm tone is best, and always explain the "why" behind a rule if possible (for example, “no loud music after 10 PM to respect the neighbors”).
  • Detail: Be specific with rules about things like check-in/out times, noise levels, and whether the property is suitable for pets or children. If there’s anything that’s not allowed, make sure it's crystal clear to avoid misunderstandings.

Pricing

• Comparison: It can be helpful to compare your pricing with similar listings in your area. Make sure you’re competitive, especially as a new host. Consider offering a discount for your first few bookings to attract more guests and build up reviews.
  • Cleaning Fee: Be mindful of your cleaning fee. If it’s too high, it can deter guests, but if it’s too low, you may end up short-changed.                                                                                          Superhost Goals
  • As a new host, the best way to maintain (or regain, if necessary) Superhost status is through consistent communication, fast responses, and going the extra mile to delight guests. Little details like a welcome note or local recommendations can help earn you 5-star reviews.

Guest Experience

• Consider adding some extras that will improve the guest experience. Things like high-speed Wi-Fi, Netflix, or a guidebook with local tips and recommendations can really enhance your listing.

Overall, you're off to a great start! I think with a few tweaks, you can really make your listing stand out. Best of luck with your hosting journey!

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Hien147 

Beautiful house and i worked in Oregon for a decade (haha showing my age again) nice area.

My thoughts what is the market that is in your area?  I didn't get a good sense of that, a potential guest is either vacationing or a temporary work in the area.  Facts about the house and exterior pictures are good, but don't really focus on a temporary stay market.  If vacationers, I would use the deck pictures that was an amazing spacious private and comfortably furnished area for a group of 6 to enjoy.

Work related stays are very profitable.  Companies do provide per diem reimbursement for rentals but for the contract employee not the employee's whole family  That would effect the spouses employment and the children's school.  That doesn't mean you can't provide just you are probably going to have a group of 3 employees each with a private bedroom.  If that is your market, I would use your living room photo.

If you are near the hospital, I encourage to talk to Hospital HR Department and the Hospital Social Workers they keep lists of STR for traveling nurses or therapists and the Social Worker assists family visiting someone in the hospital for a week or two from another state.

The first key is identifying what market and then speaking and showing your the best choice