Critique my listing - Mark from Southampton, UK

Answered!
Mark4583
Level 2
Southampton, United Kingdom

Critique my listing - Mark from Southampton, UK

IMG_4764 1000_edited-1.jpgHi all

Would be good if someone could critique my listing - not getting any bookings - maybe down to price - just re-started after changing cleaners - was thinking of reducing the 4-6 night price by telling guests that bedding / towels not included, but could pay for a package if they require bedding / towels etc

Here is the listing:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/7931425?check_in=2023-04-08&check_out=2023-04-15&federated_search_id=...

Thanks Mark

1 Best Answer
Charmaine0
Level 3
Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France

Hi Mark, I have 3 gites in the south of France and I would recommend that you provide clean linens and towels included in the price. From my experience of 10 years here and doing research I've noticed that the places that require you to bring your own linens and towels are not nice places to stay... You provide a dishwasher, washing machine, plus lots of other stuff so include towels and linens, it is a simple luxury and much appreciated by guests. Guests also don't like to see extra charges for things...

Have you studied your reviews regarding cleanliness, location and value? Have you considered making it cheaper for 2 people, adding say 5£ per night per extra person after 2 people? That's what I have done with mine, so 2 people can stay and you provided linens and towels for 2 people, and you earn more for more people staying but you also provide linens and towels for more people... If only 2 people are staying then the other beds are not made up, I just have a neat throw on those empty beds.

One thing I do when I travel is look at cleanliness reviews and I try to only book where cleanliness is rated over 4.5. I ensure that my own listings are thoroughly cleaned by a cleaner and then followed up by myself. No dust, no fingerprints on glass, no sugar behind the coffee machine, not a single hair left in the shower, etc.... It seems the problems with cleanliness only started in 2022, based on reviews... Also, those that mentioned problems in their reviews never got a response from you... It is important to respond to all reviews, not only the positive ones, this way you can explain the problem and put future guests at ease that you have now resolved the issue...

Lastly, be patient after you've tweaked your prices a bit. Times are getting harder for most people, holidays are becoming less of a priority.  Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Mark4583 I wouldn't go with your idea towels/bedding. In the UK bedding is expected but more importantly not providing it will mean your mattresses/duvets are at risk which will cost much more than laundry.

Mark4583
Level 2
Southampton, United Kingdom

Hi

To be honest I don't disagree - I was just looking at another French site that advertises gites and nearly all of them say bring your own bedding or pay for it as an extra.

Thanks Mark

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes you are right there is a tradition in France and some other European countries of bringing your own towels/bedding for self catering. @Mark4583 

Presumably you have identified French guests as your key target market if you are thinking of not including bedding and towels.

If you search through this community you will see hundreds of posts from hosts concerned about not getting bookings.

Did your market research show you that you aren't getting bookings because of your pricing? In many areas hosts are facing falling demand because of oversaturated markets coupled with falling demand. The recession in many countries is biting hard and one of the first things to go are non essentials like holidays.

Having looked at your reviews the main concern from guests seem to be cleanliness issues, rather than price. so I would make more of the fact that you are using a new cleaning crew and your cleanliness standards.

1. Have you looked at pricing for your competitors?

2. Have you looked at supply and demand in your area

3. What research have you done on what other channels you can use to market your listing.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Mark4583 not supplying linen has nothing to do with your bookings as you have none and please continue to supply and update linen, a comfortable bed and sleep are paramount to a good overnight stay ,anywhere.If you have co hosts then update your pics to include them and be a little clearer about where they are. I am not sure who does your linen or what you pay for it if you are not on site but make sure there is enough. Servicing a house that size with full linen every time can be an enormous task . I suggest that providing beds for four guests is enough .Extra guests catered for on request. That will temporarily cut down on your linen needs if it is getting difficult for your co host as all linen has to be changed even if not used.As previously stated if you are catering for families then set the house up that way or for couples but four . Some of your expanded pics are too big and irrelevant. Check incognito that you are turning up on the map. also state clearly that a linen turnover and house keeping are provided weekly ,this way you can both maintain the home and keep an eye on long term guests and prevent accumulation of rubbish etcetera.This can be an extra charge after the first one which we will assume is part of the original fee. Remember to compensate your family for assistance provided. ...H

Also Mark a big rave about yourself and then the realisation by the guest that you will not even be in the country is a big let down ,do not under estimate the power of personality. a pic of the whole family and something like , this is my home and I proudly offer it in all its new renovation , hosted by both myself and my amazing co hosts ,who are onsite .I am not sure how you can get around that part of it but you should maybe start the listing again with your parents listed as hosts .... H

Charmaine0
Level 3

Hi Mark, I have 3 gites in the south of France and I would recommend that you provide clean linens and towels included in the price. From my experience of 10 years here and doing research I've noticed that the places that require you to bring your own linens and towels are not nice places to stay... You provide a dishwasher, washing machine, plus lots of other stuff so include towels and linens, it is a simple luxury and much appreciated by guests. Guests also don't like to see extra charges for things...

Have you studied your reviews regarding cleanliness, location and value? Have you considered making it cheaper for 2 people, adding say 5£ per night per extra person after 2 people? That's what I have done with mine, so 2 people can stay and you provided linens and towels for 2 people, and you earn more for more people staying but you also provide linens and towels for more people... If only 2 people are staying then the other beds are not made up, I just have a neat throw on those empty beds.

One thing I do when I travel is look at cleanliness reviews and I try to only book where cleanliness is rated over 4.5. I ensure that my own listings are thoroughly cleaned by a cleaner and then followed up by myself. No dust, no fingerprints on glass, no sugar behind the coffee machine, not a single hair left in the shower, etc.... It seems the problems with cleanliness only started in 2022, based on reviews... Also, those that mentioned problems in their reviews never got a response from you... It is important to respond to all reviews, not only the positive ones, this way you can explain the problem and put future guests at ease that you have now resolved the issue...

Lastly, be patient after you've tweaked your prices a bit. Times are getting harder for most people, holidays are becoming less of a priority.  Good luck!

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Mark4583 I would agree with a lot of what @Charmaine0 says but technically if the listing has X beds then X beds should be available no matter how many people are coming. Just because there are only 2 people coming does not mean they expect to share a bed. Until Airbnb changes their charges to a per bedroom basis the only way around this is to have a 1 bed and a 2 bed listing each priced accordingly with perhaps the smaller listings blocked during peak season.

Charmaine0
Level 3

I would add in the description that any number of beds can be made up at the request of the guest, so 2 friends travelling together can have separate rooms... Recently I've had 2 different reservations for a couple in my 2 bedroom cottage where the person making the reservation explained that they needed both bedrooms made up  because they snore, not a problem, 2 bedrooms prepared, no extra cost. In France there is a HUGE problem with 1 or 2 guests shown on the booking and then 4, 5 or 6 pitch up, for the whole stay... We need to be very hands on here and discuss requirements with our guests before they arrive. It works well for most of us who do this.

It is a way to reduce the rate slightly and also reduce running costs, and care for the environment by not having to strip and wash all linens on 5 beds when only one or 2 are used...