Critique my listing in Northwestern CT

Answered!
John6906
Level 2
Woodbury, CT

Critique my listing in Northwestern CT

My sister and I have been working really hard (and spending $$$) to get our grandparents old house ready to rent. The inside is done, but outside has to wait. We need income!  Listed 3 weeks ago, we have 2 bookings for later in summer. But nothing since. Help!  I want to be attractive but truthful at the same time. 

1 Best Answer
Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Love your house. I'm sure you will start getting more bookings.

My lead time tends to be 2-3 weeks because people pop  in and out of the city, but I assume such a wonderful house would have the main purpose of vacation which people tend to plan more in advance.

I am sure your bookings will increase soon.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@John6906   Parking?  Is there a driveway and garage?  Is there a back yard to lounge in, as it appears that the front yard is on a busy street.  

Why would guests book with you?  The access to the lake?  What are they coming to your area for, and what does your property offer that is special?

Best wishes for your endeavor.

Hi Lorna

thanks for your comments. There is parking, though not ideal. The property is difficult, and we are right on the road. Not too much I can do about that.   The back yard is in bad shape and difficult to maintain; very steep. 

The lake access is a good draw. We rent 15 cabins at our camp so the shore is shared sort of. But the campers are rarely there. I’m working on getting a picnic. Table and boat there. 

We are also near a popular racetrack and a couple private schools.

John

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@John6906 , I am not sure when your season begins for tourism but with the water and boating I imagine there is one. Your place is really lovely . I can feel the fresh air from here.A few extra cushions would not go astray even if just for the pictures of the beds.It does look a little cold so maybe a pic of a fire going if you offer that ,or outside fire pit or bbbq area or outside twinkle lights. also you offer accommodation for five but only two beds, where do the extra guests stay . If there are no other beds it may be better to offer for only four and have a fold down bed or truckle bed as having people sleep in the lounge area is not very attractive and guests with five adults will go elsewhere, under promise and over deliver but some new pillows and a few fluffy blankets might give that added warmth .. I am sure bookings will flow in as the days warm, all the best ... what other heating do you have ?... H

Also give the house a name , you know what it should be , maybe 'Grannys place'.. H

We call it Greysone, the name our Grandma gave it. In 1932. 

Wow, I think you are correct about the cold images. I’ll work on that!  
we can’t use the fireplaces, and don’t have the yard set up yet. Cushions are easier at this point - some more color. Thank you. 
John

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Also John remember to keep receipts of every single cent that you spend. This is really important to make sure that you can 'break even ' in the long run. Guests will tell you as you go along what needs to be in the home.Coffee,tea , milk , sugar toilet paper ,kitchen tidys ,tea towels , towels for showering , shampoo ,soap , a hair dyer ,as guests come and go you will learn .A chalk board is useful for messages to your guests ,make sure your guests know all your house rules and that you communicate with them and always 'know' who is in the house. Fill in your guidebook from the local sites around ,free advertising for them but helps to orient people as to 'where you are'in a metaphorical sense.There is nothing wrong with putting pics of the area when the sun is shining . pics can be changed so add as many as you can ,some of nearby highlights... H

Excellent ideas; Helen. We have lots of your suggestions in place but I like the chalkboard and “always know who is in the house” pointers. I’ll find a routine for that. 
john

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Lovely place indeed, it has 'New England' written all over it.

Not much to critique really, maybe a tad of clean up on photos, eliminate the ones showing the same thing (i.e. bed with gray bedspread) and maybe replace some being so wide-angle. The shot of the house, get closer. Hint in photography: best to show a slice of things and leave more to the imagination. 😉

Considering today's tricky renting times (i.e. supply ahead of demand and economy), you are starting ok.

Fred, thanks for the good tips. Especially the photos. I should take some new ones. 

Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Love your house. I'm sure you will start getting more bookings.

My lead time tends to be 2-3 weeks because people pop  in and out of the city, but I assume such a wonderful house would have the main purpose of vacation which people tend to plan more in advance.

I am sure your bookings will increase soon.