Declined reservation counts for first 3 booking new listing discount?

Lissette72
Level 2
Fairfax, VA

Declined reservation counts for first 3 booking new listing discount?

We launched our listing and had not set the 20% new listing promotion before I got two back-to-back reservation requests that I had to decline because they didn't fit my house rules (1 had 2 large dogs, and the other more people than I could accommodate). I then had 1 booking that happened, and all went wellโ€”nothing since. I went to do the new listing discount to jump-start my listing since we have only had 1 booking, and the system declined because I have supposedly had three bookings already. Airbnb support says that declined reservations, even if they don't fit my house rules or occupancy, count for the 3-booking discount, and I can't use that discount anymore.  Seems highly unreasonable that requests that I cannot approve would count for this discount. 

What can I do now to boost my listing? Will regular promotion help?

9 Replies 9

Hi @Lissette72 

Yes, you can always discount your price manually on your calendar by individual dates simply by reducing your price on those dates. You can also mention you are offering a XX% discount in your Title and or first line of description for your first 3 bookings. 

Airbnb Custom Promotions require a look back of 60 days for in order to use those, so don't think you can do that for now since you're a new listing. 

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Lissette72 

Just a suggestion your  cover photo is cool and  I realize trying to show me all your incredible highlights.   For me just a little too  busy so  nothing stood out and grabbed me.    I also had an  incorrect   impression off a commercial  resort management  until I read your profile which is more family run  business.

Great feedback. Iโ€™ll change it up a bit. I agree itโ€™s busy, itโ€™s just what most people with houses here do. Itโ€™s a huge STR community so you are competing with thousands of other similar houses and most people are looking for the most theming they can. Iโ€™ll change the pic and see if it makes a difference though. 

Hi @Lissette72 

I think @Marie8425 has targeted an issue....your cover photo and next 4 photos. Collage photos never seem to do well on Airbnb. This is because the thumbnail cover photo that appears in a guest search result is to small to handle 4 photos in one tiny photo. Your cover photo (1 &2) are way too "busy" and it's hard to tell if you're showing photos of the home or the clubhouse amenities.

Exterior twilight photos and any photos with water (ocean, pool, hot tub, etc.) seem to do well on Airbnb. I would change your cover photo to the one below for now and the next 4 photos should not be a collage photo. I would try reshooting the photo below at twilight with all the lights on inside and outside. Try to make the outdoor area more inviting by adding some pillows to the outdoor furniture, a few pool toys in the pool, string lights?, set the table outside and maybe add a closeup of the hot tub with some wine glasses (with wine). If you have a fire pit, I would have a fire going with some chairs around it. You can also take a photo looking back at the house right by the hot tub. Try getting a drone shot of the same area around the pool at twilight with all the lights on. Wait until you can see a warm glow from all the lights:

Joan2709_0-1721275265272.png

Honestly, you should not be declining any bookings when your listing is new. Airbnb will push it more down, because declining reservations is not a good guest experience. I would look at the market rate around you and price your home lower to get some more reviews to be a super host. It is better to be booked than empty. 

Your main photo also needs to be updated, the picture of the kitchen, or living room would work. You can also do the picture of the resort with the slides, if your place is very close to that park.

I didnโ€™t have a choice. They wanted to bring more people than I could sleep. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ And one wanted to bring two Great Danes and I canโ€™t accommodate such dogs. Thanks for the tips though. 

I will definitely talk to my photographer about taking these. Collage pictures are very common in my market here near Disney, but Iโ€™ll change it up and give it a shot. Thanks! 

@Lissette72 

I noticed alot of the other listings in your area show daylight cover photos of a pool. If you can get those twilight photos I mentioned of the pool & outdoor space, you will stand out when a guest is scrolling through listings. The idea is to be different than all the other 18 thumbnail cover photos that appear in a guest search result so your listing stands out. You only get a few seconds to capture interest and get the guest to click your listing. 

It's also a good idea for your next 4 photos to have color contrast between them. This draws the eye to each photo individually. Othewise, if you have all your night theme room bedroom photos in the next 4 photos, the colors tend to blend together. Some hosts achieve this by showing a sunset photo (oranges) next to a garden/exterior photo (greens and other colors). 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Lissette72 ๐Ÿ‘‹

It's been a while since you posted and I'm wondering whether you managed to get a resolution to your question? You've got a lot of support from Hosts here too. Did any of the answers below help you resolve the issue? If so, it's always a lovely gesture to mark it as the best answer. It's like a big virtual hug to the member who supported you but also to support other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 

It'd be great to hear from you ๐Ÿ˜Š

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines