Do you offer guidebooks with recommendations for dining, attractions, and activities?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Do you offer guidebooks with recommendations for dining, attractions, and activities?

Paula_0-1708989100708.jpeg

Hello everyone 😊

When visiting a new area, it's likely that guests are unfamiliar with the neighborhood or city of your listing. This is where a guidebook can significantly enhance their experience, it's a thoughtful touch that can elevate their stay. In our community, there have been different discussions about guidebooks and how Hosts find it beneficial to include information on the best dining options, local services such as gyms or spas, tours and attractions, upcoming events, and more.

Do you offer any kind of guidebook to your guests? Do you share it digitally, or do you also leave a printed copy in the property?

We would love to hear your insights and explore how guidebooks help in enriching the guest experience 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

24 Replies 24
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Thanks for sharing this, @Joan2709 ‌😊‌! What types of guidebooks do you provide? Do you have any advice on how frequently they should be updated? 💡

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hi @Paula 

Airbnb Host Guidebook

We send the guest the Airbnb Host Guidebooks with a Welcome message when they book. Suggest whenever you hear of a new restaurant in the area, check it out yourself before adding to the Guidebook. I would say you should review every few months or so as restaurants come and go. 

House Manual

We have a house manual on Airbnb, but many guests don't find it very useful, as you can't add photos. We have created a paper version of the House Manual that has the information about the property (with photos of appliances, etc.) and also includes all the restaurant and destinations from the Airbnb digital Host Guidebook. It is kept in a 3 ring binder and all the pages are inserted in plastic sheet protectors. Since it is a pain to update, we usually only do that once a year. We put a disclaimer on the intro page that says we try to keep the House Manual updated, but the most current information will be found on the Airbnb platform. I will say maybe 1 out of 5 guests use and or comment on the paper version in the listing, so it is used. 

Some Hosts create a PDF version of the paper guidebook and send to guests. We tried that, but most guests didn't look at it or want to store it on their phones. Another option is to create a google doc and link to it via a guest message. We decided not to go that route though. Having a House Manual on the Listing, having the digital Airbnb Host Guidesbooks and a paper House Manual/Area Guide seem to be sufficient.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Paula,

Yes, I've put together an Airbnb guidebook, but ALL of our guests are not aware of it.  I usually have to send it to them via the message system by clicking the "+" and selections Recommendations.  This implies to me that the guidebook isn't prominently displayed in the reservation confirmation and itinerary.  

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

I was just at an Airbnb in Seoul last month and the host had left a really handy guidebook. It was so useful to have recommendations for local restaurants, shops, and attractions. It was great to have suggestions for local places to check out beyond just the main tourist attractions. I also showed the guidebook to my guide and asked if they were worth the visit. 

Kudos to my guide, Paul at https://gowithguide.com/korea/seoul/guides and the host, Tom, for taking the time time to share insider knowledge with us! They really enhanced my trip and it was nicer than having to look everything up online. 😊

Bhuiyan1
Level 1
Melbourne, FL

yes. guidebook

Brunella33
Level 1
Naples, Italy

I do that digitally!

Anna13579
Level 2
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Yes I do . Travil time tables trains and buses. All so Uber . Restaurant and takeout. Site seeing browsers. All the guest need for a comfortable stay . 

Angie755
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Yes, I do also leave lots of local leaflets for surrounding areas and any decent restaurants Plus, we are quite lucky in Hastings as it’s quite an old town. Therefore there is lots of history to be provided for our guests even a local museum, plus plenty of art, galleries,

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Paula 

Yes I hosted about two weeks before creating a guidebook and guest have mentioned how helpful it is. This is pretty funny first message with booking request for a two night stay! But turned out to be perfect guest! I answered most of her questions, accepted booking, and said it would be no problem if they wanted to cancel and stay somewhere further out from the city. For a two night stay obviously wasn't going to be able to do all of that stuff!  As it turned out we had the South East Wildlife Expo was that weekend which was perfect timing for this guest. I had forgotten about it because we have events every weekend, sometimes 3 events in same weekend, and guest visit for all kinds of different reasons. There is no way to include everything or even 10%. This gust happened to be young professional and very considerate and had a great trip.  

"Hello! I am so excited that have found a place to stay a bit out of the city. Less people and noise. I am a country girl but do enjoy city life too.
If you have any tips or places to visit that would be great.
My boyfriend and I love hunting, fishing, history, zoos, aquariums. A good pizza is a plus if you know if anywhere. Also any bbq places. He loves seafood.
Or anyplace I can go see and pet animals- I will be missing my dogs and horses while we are away."

I also think this was very positive trip for this guest to develop more of a direction in life where they are kind of at a crossroads of sorts, and someone who develops and changes with experiences, and communication, interaction, and the guide book really helps, as I can rattle off a few suggestions if they have specific interest and then direct them to the guidebook. 🙂 Young solo travelers have also mentioned they love the guidebook as they want to be independent, self suffeciant, and not have to rely on someone, and have to ask questions etc. 

Amy2789
Level 1
Cassopolis, MI

Yes we do